2017 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand PrixFormula 1 

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay Street Circuit

Did you know that a GP was first run in pre-independence Singapore in 1961 as the Orient Year Grand Prix? Thank you Wiki - now we all do. In 1962 the race was named the Malaysian Grand Prix and became the Singapore GP in 1965. By 1973 a series of fatal racing accidents during the GP saw the event dropped from the calendar.

The race returned in 2008 as F1's first night race and the Marina Bay street circuit has seen plenty of drama in its renaissance, much of it due to the tight, claustrophobic nature of many of the turns. Of course we've also had spectators on the track and most famously crash-gate scandal where Nelson Piquet Jr. was ordered by Renault team boss Flavio Briatore to crash on the exit of the final turn bringing out the Safety Car and sealing a win for teammate Alonso. The Safety Car is a regular feature too, it's been out in every race since 2008 and as of 2016 has been deployed 14 times.

The track has gradually been tamed since 2008, the Singapore Sling chicane at turn ten was noted for its vicious kerbs but has now been reprofiled to soften the kerbs while increasing entry speeds by about 30 mph. Changes have also been made to the first three turns to aid overtaking. Still, the drivers remain wary of the many small bumps and ridges around the circuit which Felipe Massa famously called "little tortoises". To add to the drivers' job cockpit temperatures can reach 60C during the race.

This year sees Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton arriving with a championship lead over Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel for the first time this season. Despite winning here last year with Rosberg the Mercedes team acknowledge that Singapore is the worst track of the 2017 season for their long wheelbase car while Ferrari are looking forward to running their notoriously grippy high-downforce setup. Hamilton has a lot of work to do to finish the works Mercedes ahead of anything painted Rosso Corsa and he'll be praying that his terrible performance at the 2016 race won't be repeated. Don't discount Red Bull either, with new engines this weekend and many strong showings at Singapore they'll be looking to upset this season's front runners.

Can Hamilton keep that lead? Can Honda keep McLaren, and can McLaren keep Alonso? Will we see a repeat of Monza's farcical grid penalties and could this be the last time we see Jolyon Palmer in the works Renault? A lot of people have a lot to play for this weekend!

SingaporeFP1Times.JPG

Track Info:

Track Length: 3.147 mi (5.065 km)
Lap Record: 1:47.187 (Ricciardo, 2016)

Multiple Driver Winners:

4 - Sebastian Vettel (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015)
3 - Graeme Lawrence (1969, 1970, 1971)
2 - Fernando Alonso (2008, 2010)
2 - Lewis Hamilton (2009, 2014)

Multiple Team Winners:

3 - Ferrari (1970, 2010, 2015)
3 - Red Bull (2011, 2012, 2013)
2 - McLaren (1969, 2009)
2 - Mercedes (2014, 2016)

Watch the Formula1.com Circuit Guide 2016 at YouTube

SingaporeTrackMap.png

Last edited:
I expect the cars to be lightning fast around here, this is probably the track where the lap record will be beaten by the most seconds.

2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay Street Circuit

Did you know that this GP was first run in pre-independence Singapore in 1961 as the Orient Year Grand Prix? Thank you Wiki - now we all do. In 1962 the race was named the Malaysian Grand Prix and became the Singapore GP in 1965. By 1973 a series of fatal racing accidents during the GP saw the event dropped from the calendar.

Huh, you weren't kidding. Did not know.

Naturally, I had to do some Googling to find what circuit they ran on back then, because... why not?
The old circuit was the Thomson Road Grand Prix Circuit.

494px-Thomson_Road_Circuit.svg.png

Sadly, but perhaps unsurprisingly, there doesn't appear to be much footage of the old circuit. But there is an Assetto Corsa mod with it, so that sort of counts, right? The safety concerns are quite apparent, but imagine if F1 continued to use this circuit throughout the years.

Palmer has probably been told "Score a point here if you want to keep your seat for the rest of the season. Fail to score a point and we get Carlos in."

I would think so. With good luck, good strategy and a clean race there's points in them there streets.

Been looking forward to this one. Always loved the atmosphere during this race, and after a brief race on F1 2017, I've come to like the track itself. Should be, and hoping for a good week for Ferrari.

Well,i am really hoping for a redbull - ferrari fight here...

As allways there is a 50% chance of thunderstorms,but we have never seen any come race day....maybe this year? :eek:

GOMAX!!

:D

Spy.

As allways there is a 50% chance of thunderstorms,but we have never seen any come race day....maybe this year? :eek:

Normally any storms have dissipated by the evening. There's a storm forecast for Saturday but it should be gone by the afternoon. The % chance is misleading in a climate like Singapore... although a wet track would definitely scramble things up.

The rumours are that Sainz could come in for Malaysia. Palmer has probably been given one last chance to at least keep his drive for the rest of the season.
I can't help but feel they're not going to go that far unless he Maldonado's the car in first practice or some other major screwup on his part occurs... but then again, I guess that's a very real possibility too. And not just because of the nature of the track.

(No I totally didn't miss that part in the post I quoted, what are you talking about?)

GOMAX!!

Spy.
It rarely rains at night in Singapore as is, but they also seed clouds. But even if some rain did get through it all the race simply would be postponed due to visibility.

I thought the nominated trauma centre was virtually next door? The helicopter rule is irrelevant if that's the case.
I meant visibility from inside the car. That being said I actually wonder how would visibility compare to day racing since it's already pretty poor during the day.

GOMAX!!

Spy.
And don't forget the improved fuel for the RedBulls. A couple of HP extra. Can they keep up with Ferrari and Mercedes?

I meant visibility from inside the car. That being said I actually wonder how would visibility compare to day racing since it's already pretty poor during the day.
Rain + Flood lights is going to be really bad for visibility.

The lights hit the spray and you are basically in full on white out. Much worse than a daytime scenario, as the artificial light is coming from all directions.

I was there for last years race and the rain for the 10 days I was there, mainly occurred early, although not everyday. Daybreak storms lasting for a couple of hours. By the time you realized it was a storm waking you. it was over and clearing to a fine humid 32+ at 7.00am. I suspect a similar forecast this year.

I feel Red Bull could double podium here this year. DR was on fire in the final 20mins last year...crazy atmosphere, truly something I will never forget.

Back