2017 Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand PrixFormula 1 

received_752827284899144.jpeg

Massa should have moved without intervening with leaders but it wouldn't matter as Seb said.

He didn't he gave space and said so himself, I mean people complain about it being to easy for leaders to pass lapped cars. Then others complain about them basically not pulling over...

I don't see what else he could have done, maybe if Vettel wasn't yelling blue flag all the time and expecting people to not pull aside to let him pass, he would have seen that Massa was letting him pass.

,It was boring by formula 1 standards, not only was there no action what so ever but the only strategy option was go longer in 1st stint to go faster at the end but that didn't matter because you can't pass anyway.

If you think Massa was the deciding factor you have a lot to learn about F1. Yes, he didn't make it particularly easy for Vettel, but even if Vettel didn't loose any time getting by Massa I don't think he'd be close enough to attempt a pass. If he had, say 2-3 laps left, I'd be more inclined to say Massa helped sway the result.

Uhhhmmm,sorry???.. Massa made sure we will never know if Vettel could have made a pass...that is what he did ! everybody talks about it...so what do i have to learn?...

pfff...

Spy.

Another DNF for Ricciardo. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Come on Red Bull, you're better than that. I cannot believe that a team with this experience could fail so hilariously. First a gearbox failure, then a brake failure where they've become too hot? Get the 🤬 out of here man, he deserves better. Don't tell me the Webber curse is back...

They shouldn't catch fire within five laps mate...
They can get up to 1200°C under normal circumstances. The close walls of the Sochi circuit create a funnel effect whereby the heat cannot dissipate normally. That's what was causing Hamilton's temperature issue. The cooling vents on Ricciardo's car would be less effective, and with all the heavy braking events in the lap - ten of them - it would be very easy to induce a brake failure through mismanagement. Especially if he glazed a pad.

Another DNF for Ricciardo...First a gearbox failure, then a brake failure where they've become too hot? Get the 🤬 out of here man, he deserves better. Don't tell me the Webber curse is back...

Odds are that Ricciardo caused the brake failure through mismanagement during the second formation lap.

It may be Renault-related of course, rear braking is as much their territory more than the chassis developers.

Well I enjoyed the race. It was a slow start but came together in the end. Sure no overtaking, but I enjoyed that type of race more so than the 'get within 1 second and auto pass' type of races that have happened in the past. Glad to see Bottas take the win, always great to see a new winner in F1.

As for Massa, he could have moved out of the way. He was less likely than Vettal to overtake the car ahead of him, he could have gotten out of the way of the leaders better. Whether it changed the course of the race, probably not, but it wasn't necessary either.

This was an amazing Race! The Article on the front page is absolute nonsense.
I doubt the author did even watch the race?
2 cars fought for the win till the end, both were within 0,8 sec. If this is "snoozing" then i dont wanna know what is thrilling for the author?

Sometimes i think you guys wanna have 500 overtakes per lap, 10 exploding cars, 5 cars flying through the air and the guy on last place win the race in the last lap. Even then you wouldnt be satisfied.

All the guys i know enjoyed the race. It was thrilling, but some people just wanna talk bad about the F1, no matter what happens.

B.K
I doubt the author did even watch the race?
The author here. Guess again.
B.K
If this is "snoozing" then i dont wanna know what is thrilling for the author?
The 2011 Canadian Grand Prix.

46 laps of cars holding between one and five seconds apart constantly with a single pit stop that saw everyone bar a couple of backmarkers swap ultrasofts for supersofts between lap 28 and 36 (and Nico Hulkenberg, who did it on lap 40 - lap 40! On the softest possible tyre!), with no change of position for anyone is just a procession.

Wasn't a terrible race to watch, but that's mostly due to context. Bottas getting a good start and chasing his first win, and Vettel chasing the gap with 7 lap fresher tyres was enough to keep watching the full distance, even if nothing came of it. Wouldn't label it a 'snoozefest' myself, but I also certainly wouldn't remember the race had Bottas not taken his maiden victory. He sure does like this track!

I watched the last few laps after switching over from an add break while watching British GT at Rockingham. Seemed a good race from my perspective. Hope I didn't miss anything good :lol:

It may be Renault-related of course, rear braking is as much their territory more than the chassis developers.

Not really, it's only their area in relations to KERS, I think @prisonermonkeys is correct in his analysis, plus I think @CLowndes888 is a bit bias on this considering who it was in relation to. With that said I think there is something that needs to be investigated on part of Red Bull being the second failure. However, you have to think that Ric knew he might have messed up when you hear the radio transmissions, with the team more than willing to fix it and get him out there but he knew how bad it was and sounded a bit guilty. Compare that to when he feels its the team that let him down in previous races.

Is that the context where nobody overtook anybpdy else on track after the first lap?
I said the two reasons in my post. The heavy focus on the battle of the lead was enough for me, and perhaps the lack of overtaking was what gave it so much coverage in the first place! I'll admit I didn't realise there was so little going on down the field until the usual post-race debrief with commentators and twitter feeds. Guess I'm easy to please :lol:

He didn't he gave space and said so himself, I mean people complain about it being to easy for leaders to pass lapped cars. Then others complain about them basically not pulling over...

I don't see what else he could have done, maybe if Vettel wasn't yelling blue flag all the time and expecting people to not pull aside to let him pass, he would have seen that Massa was letting him pass.
He should have kept it on the left after T2 and lose less time himself. But I believe he was doing Bottas a favor, regardless whether or not Seb had a chance to overtake.

He should have kept it on the left after T2 and lose less time himself. But I believe he was doing Bottas a favor, regardless whether or not Seb had a chance to overtake.

I doubt that, he says he gave them the same chance, Bottas got by clean because of DRS going into turn 1 and Vettel was too far back going into turn 1 and 2. By the time they got to 3 the only thing that Massa could have done to help Vettel more was basically slow down or pull over and let the guy by, but he stayed to the left as much as he could, even going on to marbles.

So, to me what I think the issue here is, is that people are only mad cause the watched a race for fifty some laps with no passing actions, and the moment a fight on the final lap can break out, it doesn't because of lapped traffic. Ignoring the fact that lap traffic hindered and helped Vettel on and off before Massa was in his way. That or those mad at Massa are Vettel fans or just don't like seeing Mercedes win still. Because I find it hard to see how Massa greatly deterred Vettel, I mean if he was impeding the stewards would have at least looked into it, they didn't.

Not really, it's only their area in relations to KERS, I think @prisonermonkeys is correct in his analysis, plus I think @CLowndes888 is a bit bias on this considering who it was in relation to. With that said I think there is something that needs to be investigated on part of Red Bull being the second failure. However, you have to think that Ric knew he might have messed up when you hear the radio transmissions, with the team more than willing to fix it and get him out there but he knew how bad it was and sounded a bit guilty. Compare that to when he feels its the team that let him down in previous races.
However when he went to retire Redbull told Verstappen to put his Bias all the way to the front suggested something else.

Back