2017 Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand PrixFormula 1 

For racing this is probably the worst track that isn't Monaco, since Valencia. But even Valencia had a good race or two (2012, for one, was one of the best races in one of the best seasons in decades).

I jokingly said to myself that there won't be a single overtake all race, (especially with the McLarens already at the back or retired), but only a track as poorly designed and uninspiring as Sochi could really make that come true. I had more fun at church.

I can't even force myself to be happy that the title fight is heating up, or that Bottas won his first race, or that another Honda embarrassment means we are one race closer to it not being rubbish anymore. I can't believe I waited 2 weeks for this waste of time.

Massa should have moved without intervening with leaders but it wouldn't matter as Seb said.

The outcome doesn't alter the fact that he should have moved far more cleanly.

I see there's no further action for Face Palmer, that's a shame, interviewed soon after the incident he seemed to have little idea of where Grosjean was during the accident.

For racing this is probably the worst track that isn't Monaco, since Valencia.
Even Monaco is better for racing than what Sochi gave us today, because most of the corners are low speed allowing cars to actually run close to one another. And whilst overtakes are extinct, the looming threat of any driver error likely being a race ending one does help keep some of the tension, as opposed to tarmac run-off and medium speed corner hell.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain why getting drs from a backmarker is a good thing?
Well, it can be considered as a good and bad thing at the same time. When there's a battle between 2 or more cars with very similar pace, on some occasions, the gained time is going to be lost because of the dirty air caused at the followed corner sequences. The new cars' aerodynamics tend to be affected in a larger scale compared to previous years, so it doesn't make a big difference.

Every situation can be approached differently of course.

Last edited:
I think the circumstances made me annoyed at Bottas getting drs. I guess it would be less annoying if it happens mid-race.

I think the circumstances made me annoyed at Bottas getting drs. I guess it would be less annoying if it happens mid-race.
The DRS detection system cannot tell the difference between cars racing for position and the race leader approaching a lapped car.

More like expected although I thought we'd have something like that happen at the Spanish Grand Prix. To think that's next on the schedule. Yikes.

Few thoughts about the race:
- Congratulations to Bottas. Grant you, dirty air gave him the requisite buffer to avoid any active defense against Vettel but he definitely earned being in that position with an excellent start and initial stint.
- I was questioning Ferrari's strategy with Vettel but in retrospect, I could see their intent. Unfortunately, even the much fresher tires could only get Vettel into DRS range on the last lap. Could he have passed Bottas if the race was 10 laps longer? I'd say no.
- For a moment, I thought Kimi was going to have a Webber moment. I'd have to look again but I think Vettel may have helped him from having Hamilton overtaking him by blocking the outside.
- Not the best day for Hamilton although he commented he figured out why he was struggling during the race. Definitely could've been worse if the overheating resulted in a DNF.
- Hulkenberg ran 40 laps on Ultrasofts. Ultrasofts!
- The first race Alonso may finish under power is the Indy 500.

I could read all previous comments...yeah i could!

but i can say this: boring race ,and thanks Massa for for being you and again screw up a potential amazing last lap or 2 ....you total most experienced driver in thefieldwhoshouldbehomeyounumber2driverwhonevergothiscraptogetheratferrafi....

sorry,but what a 🤬 Massa is.... :mad:

Yeah i am angry... but so is half the racing world for not having a great last fight for the win today...

thanks Massa.. you ....

sorry ,

Spy.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks the whole drama around Massa is way too exaggerated.
For one I don't believe for a second Seb had a chance to win in the last lap anyway, unless he was willing to take both himself and Bottas out with a stupid dive.
And two, I don't really see what Massa what supposed to do.

I rather feel people are making a drama out of this because nothing else happened in the race...

I could read all previous comments...yeah i could!

but i can say this: boring race ,and thanks Massa for for being you and again screw up a potential amazing last lap or 2 ....you total most experienced driver in thefieldwhoshouldbehomeyounumber2driverwhonevergothiscraptogetheratferrafi....

sorry,but what a 🤬 Massa is.... :mad:

Yeah i am angry... but so is half the racing world for not having a great last fight for the win today...

thanks Massa.. you ....

sorry ,

Spy.

If you think Massa was the deciding factor you have a lot to learn about F1. Yes, he didn't make it particularly easy for Vettel, but even if Vettel didn't loose any time getting by Massa I don't think he'd be close enough to attempt a pass. If he had, say 2-3 laps left, I'd be more inclined to say Massa helped sway the result.

For one I don't believe for a second Seb had a chance to win in the last lap anyway, unless he was willing to take both himself and Bottas out with a stupid dive.

Vettel had the chance when Bottas flat spotted his tyres, that's when Vettel gained a lot of time on him, but he didn't quite got into drs range. He didn't grab the opportunity, or wasn't able to, and in the end he just came up short, with or without Massa.

No, that's just too depressing.

Well, he left Ferrari because he was tired of always finishing in second place (link in Italian)... Careful what you wish for, Fernando? A genie may take give you exactly that.

Haha Dutch commentators..... Olav Mol making 50+ mistakes (names, times, historical facts, talking through each other, making board-radios inaudible). Just horrible. But no ads during the race.

I'd take that over the Mazzini-Capello duo on RAI's broadcast spouting off random facts that are of no interest whatsoever to the race over important team radio - and yes, we get ads both on the delayed FTA broadcast of the race, and on pay TV...

Yes, he didn't make it particularly easy for Vettel, but even if Vettel didn't loose any time getting by Massa I don't think he'd be close enough to attempt a pass. If he had, say 2-3 laps left, I'd be more inclined to say Massa helped sway the result.

You're very right indeed, but if I were him I'd feel comfortable in Monza as much as he told Verstappen to feel comfortable at Interlagos... Which is to say, I'd keep 112 pre-dialed!

Last edited:
Clearly not Palmer's fault, he had Grosjean on the right and a Sauber turning in on his left, where do people expect him to go. Grosjean had space to avoid and didn't take it.

without a single on-track overtake occurring after the first corner of the first lap.
Worst than that, not even an attempt. Probably not even any intent to let such ideas emerge under one on those 17 helmets. 52 laps of resignation - minus Vettel bluff during last laps.

Worst than that, not even an attempt. Probably not even any intent to let such ideas emerge under one on those 17 helmets. 52 laps of resignation - minus Vettel bluff during last laps.
Precisely. After lap 1 the cars were just spaced out by several seconds and it ended like that. This was the type of races people thought 2017 would be full of.

Precisely. After lap 1 the cars were just spaced out by several seconds and it ended like that. This was the type of races people thought 2017 would be full of.

To be fair, you can't tell Putin that.

To be fair, you can't tell Putin that.
I guess there's a wet pants contest to decide who will have to announce to Vladimir that F1 can go there anymore.

Sotchi track in a few years?
tKQKSAs.jpg

(actually, that's Valencia track)

Back