2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
Kuwait Motor Town to replace Bahrain's wec race? Look at this track layout and tell me if you at least think it's better than Bahrain-

NlayCAL.jpg

It's... different. Hard to say on paper.
Wouldn't it just be easier try to go to Yas Marina or the Dubai Autodrome if they want to stay in that region?

It's... different. Hard to say on paper.
Wouldn't it just be easier try to go to Yas Marina or the Dubai Autodrome if they want to stay in that region?
But then Kuwait wouldn't make money. Also, it depends on if the tracks would be interested in playing ball with the WEC when they are also playing court with F1.

I'm all for a new venue. Bahrain is not a good track imo. Who knows if Kuwait gets a race or not but the layout at least is more challenging and flowing than Bahrain. I hope they keep turn 1 as a flat out kink. That's not common among the Tilke tracks today.

2020 LMP1 HY regulations announced

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/2020-lmp1-hybrid-regulations-announced/5198

• Zero emissions and rapid recharging: a new road-going technology will be applied to racing, the plug-in hybrid. The cars will be given a rapid recharge at the same time as they are being refuelled.
  • Cover the first kilometre after each refuelling stop in full electric mode at a level of performance hitherto unequalled in motor racing,
  • Cross the finishing line in total electric autonomy (the details are being defined).
  • Introduction of active aerodynamics with moveable wings (front and rear) to increase the efficiency of the car and compensate for the restrictions on aerodynamic development brought in to reduce costs
  • Integration of biofuels: increase the integration of other types of more evolved fuels in close collaboration with the suppliers’ strategy
  • Introduction of new energies: in parallel, research work on new energies like hydrogen is continuing with the aim of introducing them at a later date

Very interesting. Can't wait!

That bit about the first kilometre after each refuelling stop, does that mean they will be on electric power only and really slow? On track?

2020 LMP1 HY regulations announced

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/2020-lmp1-hybrid-regulations-announced/5198

• Zero emissions and rapid recharging: a new road-going technology will be applied to racing, the plug-in hybrid. The cars will be given a rapid recharge at the same time as they are being refuelled.
  • Cover the first kilometre after each refuelling stop in full electric mode at a level of performance hitherto unequalled in motor racing,
  • Cross the finishing line in total electric autonomy (the details are being defined).
  • Introduction of active aerodynamics with moveable wings (front and rear) to increase the efficiency of the car and compensate for the restrictions on aerodynamic development brought in to reduce costs
  • Integration of biofuels: increase the integration of other types of more evolved fuels in close collaboration with the suppliers’ strategy
  • Introduction of new energies: in parallel, research work on new energies like hydrogen is continuing with the aim of introducing them at a later date

Very interesting. Can't wait!

Some of it is interesting. Not against alternate fuels, if a manufacturer can make something new work, go for it. Not sure how I feel about active aero, time will tell on that.
I don't quite understand the mandatory electric modes during the race. Seems like that would detract from the actual racing, in my small and uninformed opinion. I'd have to guess that the FIA/ACO believes hybrid tech will be developed enough for these cars to be able to do a lap at racing speed by 2020. Right now, I'm not sure that's possible. But 3 years is a long time, so anything's possible. I'm not sure it does anything for the racing, it's just to prove a point, it seems.

Last edited:
That bit about the first kilometre after each refuelling stop, does that mean they will be on electric power only and really slow? On track?

I think a 8MJ car could do the first kilometer at 500hp with a full charge. I haven't done the math, but it sounds possible.

This is probably the wildest Le Mans race I've ever seen, but I'm glad to see Porsche pull out the win! In my mind, the #9 Toyota should have won.

Toyota should have won, period. It's one thing to want to root for an underdog but I actively don't want to root for any top-runners. I hated when Audi was dominating and how Cadillac is dominating IMSA right now. I will always root for the team that truly deserves it.

8MJ is mega-joules right? I know nothing about hybrid power and didn't think they could harness that much HP from just electric energy. I thought they were like 800HP normal power + ~200HP electric power

Toyota should have won, period. It's one thing to want to root for an underdog but I actively don't want to root for any top-runners. I hated when Audi was dominating and how Cadillac is dominating IMSA right now. I will always root for the team that truly deserves it.

Does Toyota really deserve it? I felt bad for them last year as it was the first year of the TS050 and it didn't have any issues until the very end. This year however there really wasn't any excuse and they ran into issues much earlier (the weather was the same for everyone).

I was rooting for Toyota, but they obviously didn't do their homework so ergo did not deserve the win.

Well last year they rushed to push out this year's program a year early. Leads you to believe that this year would then be that much better off. Seems it's just a fact that it was due to weather (increased temps) but overall they should have had the better chance to win.

8MJ is mega-joules right? I know nothing about hybrid power and didn't think they could harness that much HP from just electric energy. I thought they were like 800HP normal power + ~200HP electric power

This makes no sense, and the fact that so called "race fans" come out of the wood work and say "team A deserves to win, not team B" has no merit other than that of your own partiality toward something for what you just explained. You like an underdog or fairy-tale story that by no means is a replacement for facts, which is the team with a better built car won.

Also you can harness quite a bit from electricity making it last is the issue.

Well last year they rushed to push out this year's program a year early. Leads you to believe that this year would then be that much better off. Seems it's just a fact that it was due to weather (increased temps) but overall they should have had the better chance to win.

Only they can give themselves "a better chance to win", no one cut their power, blew up their brakes due to a hybrid failure, and caused one of their cars to need constant repairs due to construction.

So where is your actual proof that they deserved it aside from personal investment?

I get it, you can take your serious cap off.

It's not serious it's just a reality. It's a forum if I want to respond directly to a post in a concise manner I'm allowed that so long as it's with in the rules, you have the right to ignore it.

Also you claim me serious, but was that not a serious rant in regards to how Toyota should be the rightful victor, because they "deserved it more"?

Nothing says safety like high voltage plug-ins right next to fuel caps and having 27 different wing settings to change entering the Porsche curves, idiots. 👎👎

I think LMP1 will be lucky to make it to 2020 as that, think we'll be seeing the vicious cycle which killed off Group C/Group B/Group 5/Old GT1 take LMP1 before they reach the 2020 regs. Costs too much, and is a major safety issue.

I think LMP1 will be lucky to make it to 2020 as that, think we'll be seeing the vicious cycle which killed off Group C/Group B/Group 5/Old GT1 take LMP1 before they reach the 2020 regs. Costs too much, and is a major safety issue.

I honestly doubt LMP1 will see through to 2018, let alone 2019...

I think that all the naysayers are going to eat their words. Lmp1 is not dead. It's not dying. In fact there is at least 3 teams/cars joining the class next year. Toyota has committed to 2019 and immediately after the race, both the chairman and the ceo said they will be back next year.

I'm not sure I like the new rules. Cool they're keeping hybrids but what about competitors that want to do something different besides run a battery pack? And why are they raising the roof again? They insist on the 2 seater idea but in the past there were cars with central seating positions. That would solve the issue they have with the seat angle and headroom for the helmet. The Ford GT is lower than the lmp's :lol:

Great start, Toyota #8 broke on the out lap to start the race. :banghead:

Repaired now but down 5 laps to leader.

Last edited:
Back