2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
Low DF Toyota is fast-313 kph compared to 300 for the Porsche and 287 for the other Toyota's. The 9 Toy is down 1.8 sec to the 7 Toy.

Looks like the #9 is in pure LM trim. The Porsche's are running with the big gurney's on the rear deck like at Silverstone. So it's a high downforce setup on their low downforce car. Toyota #9 hits a higher top speed so it must not be running it's wings close to the Porsche trim.

Last edited:
The rake on the Porsche looks really odd. Should be interesting on Saturday. Pity I am working though.

PORSCHE SEEKS CLARIFICATION ON TOYOTA LMP1 AERO
Porsche LMP1 Team has confirmed to RACER that it has requested clarification from the FIA and ACO that the aerodynamics of the 2017 Toyota TS050 Hybrid LMP1 car meets both with the letter, and the spirit, of the technical regulations of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

With the LMP1 regulations for 2017 allowing only two separate bodywork solutions (down from three in 2016), the factory teams have had to compromise further on the solutions they have available for the very disparate mix of circuits across the nine race FIA WEC.

Porsche's enquiry is understood to be focused on the rear end of the 2017 TS050, in particular how air is managed through the rear diffuser.

Neither Porsche, nor Toyota though were willing to discuss in detail the specifics of the request for clarification to RACER. Fritz Enzinger, vice president of the LMP1 program at Porsche, would only confirm that the team had sent a request to the FIA and ACO for clarification.

A Toyota spokesman explained to RACER that the team is confident that its car complies with the current rule set.

"As far as we are concerned the 2017 Toyota TS050 Hybrid has been inspected, homologated and inspected again ahead of competition," he said. "This seems to be a matter between Porsche and the ACO. We are entirely happy that the car complies in full with the regulations."

The rapid development curve of the current iteration of LMP1 Hybrids has seen a number of controversies around bodywork solutions in recent seasons. Porsche has previously been forced to deny accusations of using easily deformable rear bodywork as an effective moveable aero device, while Toyota too has faced coverage showing its rear wings changing the aspect at high speed.

Toyota's 2012 TS030 also raised concerns in the WEC paddock, with an aero solution around the rear exploiting a rules loophole around rear wheel covers that allowed the team to effectively deploy a wider rear wing area. In that instance Audi chose not to protest but instead presented a similar treatment the following year.

Credit - Racer

Last edited:
What a mess, WEC Q stream/website was broken for the majority of GT qualifying, RLM didnt work at all, LMP qualifying was red flagged on the first hot lap screwing most of the field except for a Porsche, the laundry truck spun right in front of #7 ruining his start and tires, track limits investigations, and red flag speeding investigations. :banghead:

In true fox sports fashion they will show the 5hrs of Spa (not 6):boggled: by starting their broadcast on FS1 by time slipping the 1st hr, showing 1 hr live, then showing nascar on Fs1 and German soccer on FS2, and then dumping the last 3 hrs on to FS2 for the finish which they will likely leave before all the cars have crossed the line to show womens college lacrosse. I'm guessing they will show all of the race on fsgo but who knows.

You guys think if I wear a Gazoo Racing cap and team shirt, and arrive in my GT86, I might be able to sneak in the VIP parking? :D

I've got my event timetable printed out, the entry list, the spotter's guide, and a map of the track.
My camera's battery is charging, and so is my GoPro! 👍

It's just a shame I don't have a zoomlens, so taking pictures during the race will be difficult. The pitwalk starts at 09:00AM, I'm hoping to be able to see some machines up close then! The grid walk is limited access, but I cannot find anywhere what this limited access is. Maybe I just need to buy an additional ticket for it...

Good morning all!
Currently present at the track, sun is shining, safety cars are doing inspection laps, incredible atmosphere!

Although I cannot really describe how much I yearn to be part of the folks who are spectating the garages!

The official stream is also on the website. You don't need the app.
Yes, i paid for it last season and it was pretty bad with constant buffering, fluctuating between sd/hd and freezing so didnt want give them my cash. is it any better this season ?

Yes, i paid for it last season and it was pretty bad with constant buffering, fluctuating between sd/hd and freezing so didnt want give them my cash. is it any better this season ?

I only experienced problems once during the previous season, which was buffering during the first 10 minutes of the Spa race. I can't speak for Le Mans since I always watch that one on TV. Today's stream runs fine for now and so did Silverstone, but who knows if things will change for the worse.

That's odd, this is my 3rd year and I have never had any issues with the stream at all. Might want to check your equipment or complain to your ISP.

The GT's are by far the loudest car out here. The Astons seem a bit uncompetitive right now. What really surprised me is that the ByKolles is already lapped after barely 30 minutes.

The GT's are by far the loudest car out here. The Astons seem a bit uncompetitive right now. What really surprised me is that the ByKolles is already lapped after barely 30 minutes.
Rain is expected at 6pm, I hope you brought a good jacket.

He's awful, states nothing but the obvious or random background information and never anything that's happening live on track.

I don't have the WEC subscription, how can I listen in?

Back