2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
So the ACO/FIA is pretty much counting on the influx of LMP1-L teams actually happening? I certainly hope that the class finally grows this time, but I've been following motorsports long enough to know a new entry isn't really official until they are at the track.

It's sad to think it was only a few years ago that LMP1-H seemed like a class that would only grow, only to see it now possibly having 0 manufacturer teams in the top class. I can't help but think that DPi may be a good foundation to build a new LMP1 class. Really the only adjustments I can see being needed are eliminating the BoP. Sure they wouldn't be threatening F1 times, but I don't think that would be a problem so long as the racing itself is good.

LMP2 could be the new class to be in! ACO could allow factory teams but heavily restrain their budget so that privateers can stay competitive. Is that an option?

I'd really be surprised if Toyota stay. No offense, but winning next year without Porsche would be kinda hollow wouldn't it? That's if they could even stay in one piece though...

Gonna be a field day for LMP2's next year.

I cant see Toyota just walking away at the end of this year, but doing a limited schedule in 2018 with the focus on Le Mans and then shifting resources to a IMSA DPi program and a GTE program.

I cant see Toyota just walking away at the end of this year, but doing a limited schedule in 2018 with the focus on Le Mans and then shifting resources to a IMSA DPi program and a GTE program.
I doubt they'll go to either because they've said no hybrid = no Toyota in the past.

no hybrid = no Toyota in the past.

Yet, they race a series with terribly inefficient V8's. :lol:

I don't think they would join DPi with the Toyota brand for that very reason, but I could see them doing it with the Lexus brand if the GT3 program sinks and they still want some sports car presence.

I doubt they'll go to either because they've said no hybrid = no Toyota in the past.
Unless they can convince the FIA that they can supply a customer low cost hybrid solution for LMP1 they have no place to race. Looking at their worldwide motorsports programs the hybrid seems to be exclusive to the WEC.

I don't think they would join DPi with the Toyota brand for that very reason, but I could see them doing it with the Lexus brand if the GT3 program sinks and they still want some sports car presence.
The "factory" status they are allowed in GTD is for 2017 only, so they will need to start selling cars to keep that program going.

They'll do at least Silverstone and Spa to get ready for Le Mans. After that? Maybe Fuji. Who knows. They won't leave before Le Mans though.

As for what else they can do. The future is electric.

They'll do at least Silverstone and Spa to get ready for Le Mans. After that? Maybe Fuji. Who knows. They won't leave before Le Mans though.

As for what else they can do. The future is electric.
But it'd be quite, shocking, if electric appeared anywhere near the WEC (G56 aside) within the next 5 years.

Imagine the 24hrs with each driver having 3 electric cars a piece. All they will need is a nuclear reactor in the pits to recharge all of those chassis.:boggled:

I think that it's really damning now that there was an indication that Porsche was going to plug 10 days ago from Joest themselves with a quote from a Racer article regarding IMSA DPi ( article link here).

It's hard to say where the FIA/ACO go from here (probably not DPi because they didn't create it unless they are truly desperate for numbers in the future), but it looks like they made the fatal mistake of letting the manufacturers write the rules for the series instead of writing the rules for the manufacturers to follow. But right now, 2018 is really looking like P1 as a whole will be a down year.

That future is now. Notice which series Mercedes, Audi and Porsche are going to? Batteries are a dead end. It's only a matter of time.... RIP V8.:boggled:
VAG are fleeing to formula golf cart because of billions of $$ in fines and bad PR, not to save the earth. Mercedes leaving the DTM was just to save money on a dead end series.

No way in hell I will change my name to Iforcekw...;)

c4jt321.png

Back