2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
What's the story with Gidley? Is he back to a competent race form, or is he going to get a couple of sympathy drives/seasons before retiring? That crash was freakin' horrendous.
It looks like he is attempting to make a return to racing. If he has the funding may be the answer.
He is also competing this weekend in the PWC at Sonoma in a Porsche. http://world-challenge.com/latest/series-news/memo-gidley-return-racetrack-pwc-sonoma-gt-races/

I hope he makes a full recovery and return to racing.

DJxK4MLVYAASI4j.jpg

***Sebring track President and General Manager Wayne Estes is on-site this weekend to meet with WEC representatives ahead of the newly announced joint weekend in March 2019. “This is their last North American race before they come and see us, it seems appropriate to come out here and get us to know each other,” Estes told Sportscar365.

***Estes confirmed that the facility received damage from Hurricane Irma, mainly to signage, marshal posts and varying levels of flooding. He said the track operations staff have already made most of the repairs, with power expected to be restored this evening. Team Penske is scheduled to test at Sebring on Monday and Tuesday with the new Acura ARX-05 DPi cars

Hopefully one of those guys with Youtube channels will get some video of the test. Also according to the IMSA test sheet Ford will run 3 cars in a session at Mid-Ohio on Sept 28th with Bourdais and Dixon in the #68 GT.

***Sebring track President and General Manager Wayne Estes is on-site this weekend to meet with WEC representatives ahead of the newly announced joint weekend in March 2019. “This is their last North American race before they come and see us, it seems appropriate to come out here and get us to know each other,” Estes told Sportscar365.

***Estes confirmed that the facility received damage from Hurricane Irma, mainly to signage, marshal posts and varying levels of flooding. He said the track operations staff have already made most of the repairs, with power expected to be restored this evening. Team Penske is scheduled to test at Sebring on Monday and Tuesday with the new Acura ARX-05 DPi cars

Hopefully one of those guys with Youtube channels will get some video of the test. Also according to the IMSA test sheet Ford will run 3 cars in a session at Mid-Ohio on Sept 28th with Bourdais and Dixon in the #68 GT.

Sorry for the off-topic. Just noticed you're the oldest member here on GTP (not counting with @Jordan of course). At least that I know of. Every other old school people I see around joined around 2002 - 2004. Cheers!

Anyone else have a minor "hnnggghh" moment seeing "Mazda / Team Joest" on that sail? I'm anxious to see what they do with it --- and normally LMP2 fails to interest me. It'll be cool having some LMP2 teams that I actually recognize.

I just keep thinking how cool of a payoff this could be for those Mazda drivers if this works out and they keep them on the roster. Long, Bomarito, etc. deserve to win something once in a while for all the work and patience they've put in as Mazda drivers coming up through the ranks. (I know they've got plenty of wins etc. in sports cars before going into prototypes).

I just keep thinking how cool of a payoff this could be for those Mazda drivers if this works out and they keep them on the roster. Long, Bomarito, etc. deserve to win something once in a while for all the work and patience they've put in as Mazda drivers coming up through the ranks. (I know they've got plenty of wins etc. in sports cars before going into prototypes).
They aren't guaranteed to be in the car next season. All up in the air, as Joest have final say in the driver line up.

Oh, I know, I'm just hoping after all of their work they get some consideration. Even if just for a season or so. I fully imagine that Joest could have their pick of the litter.

Back