2017 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship - General Season Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,450 comments
Bit annoying people keep finding terms to basically call or crap on the Cadillac with, just because they're winning. Here's a novel concept, next time a new set of rules comes out, how about those saying they'll join take advantage of it as soon as possible. Rather than sitting on their hands and talking only to be upstaged nearly all season by said cars and more so one team that put the biggest effort in. Want to win a Championship of this caliber then actually plan ahead.

Now that others have had this wake up call, there will be no excuse next season if Cadillac wipes the floor. Or no excuse if a team can't make up the ground like ESM or Mazda

Last edited:
Bit annoying people keep finding terms to basically call or crap on the Cadillac with, just because they're winning. Here's a novel concept, next time a new set of rules comes out, how about those saying they'll join take advantage of it as soon as possible. Rather than sitting on their hands and talking only to be upstaged nearly all season by said cars and more so one team that put the biggest effort in. Want to win a Championship of this caliber then actually plan ahead.
Exactly, nobody seems to realize only GM have spent a lot of R&D on the Cadillac, and have tried like hell to make sure its first season is not a development season.

Considering how ESM had to deal with a shoe string budget and were essentially told to "figure it yourselves" with like 1-2 months before the 24, and only got Nissan's "help" long afterwards, I say they've done well. And Speed Source was garbage at developing the the Mazda, not helped of course by Riley essentially giving them the finger and not doing squat with the Riley LMP2 or the Mazda.

Exactly, nobody seems to realize only GM have spent a lot of R&D on the Cadillac, and have tried like hell to make sure its first season is not a development season.

Considering how ESM had to deal with a shoe string budget and were essentially told to "figure it yourselves" with like 1-2 months before the 24, and only got Nissan's "help" long afterwards, I say they've done well. And Speed Source was garbage at developing the the Mazda, not helped of course by Riley essentially giving them the finger and not doing squat with the Riley LMP2 or the Mazda.

Which is fine, but people can't blame their ability to not keep up on WTR because they put the money in and so did Cadillac. As well as time. Nissan basically did what Nissan does around the globe, they allow one team to run with Nissan stuff, but no on a factory support or budget. I have no respect for Nissan's global efforts and there is a reason it will take time to win, and this isn't down to ESM. Mazda is a bit of the same though they're trying to either find an easy way in and out of competition. At the end of the day it all goes back to my original post, if you want to win a series where other manufactures have said they'll join then take it seriously.

If you want your manufacture name plastered on the side of a car without actually putting in the work, then there are cheaper ways for Nissan and Mazda to do it. Nissan should know this with Infiniti on a F1 car and nothing in said F1 car being anything Infiniti built.

Too early to say much about 2018, but I think (or at least hope) it will be closer. Caddie is certainly the benchmark, but now teams have a year under their belt. ...Actually, only Nissan with Mazda taking a sabbatical. That, and we don't know much about how long the Acura has been in development... but still! Teams know what to aim for, now. Nissan/ESM has shown promising signs to make me think next year will be closer.
Wouldn't count out a WEC P2 car winning before the end of the year, either. Looking forward to seeing Rebellion racing Petit Le Mans.

Too early to say much about 2018, but I think (or at least hope) it will be closer. Caddie is certainly the benchmark, but now teams have a year under their belt. ...Actually, only Nissan with Mazda taking a sabbatical. That, and we don't know much about how long the Acura has been in development... but still! Teams know what to aim for, now. Nissan/ESM has shown promising signs to make me think next year will be closer.
Wouldn't count out a WEC P2 car winning before the end of the year, either. Looking forward to seeing Rebellion racing Petit Le Mans.

We know the Acura has been testing since early this summer. So 6-8 months of testing before the 2018 24h of Daytona could be estimated right now.

Irma update- Race car driver edition: Jordan Taylor said he's fine on Facebook today. He lost trees and the awning at his house, but as already stated, he is fine and dandy.

Now that others have had this wake up call, there will be no excuse next season if Cadillac wipes the floor. Or no excuse if a team can't make up the ground like ESM or Mazda
Bingo.

Last edited:
RLL or Andretti seems to be the question for this car next year.

DJh-cgNWAAITDvZ.jpg

DJh5npvXkAIwYxK.jpg

DJh5o-dXcAAS2SG.jpg

RLL or Andretti seems to be the question for this car next year.

I don't see why it wouldn't be RLL fielding the GTLM car next year. Did Andretti Autosport announce something I missed?

Btw I may be the only one who totally loves this, but I don't care... it's awesome.

I hate asymmetrical liveries so there's that to complain about...

This livery was made just for the IAA Frankfurt reveal so you may never have to see it again :)

I don't see why it wouldn't be RLL fielding the GTLM car next year. Did Andretti Autosport announce something I missed?

Btw I may be the only one who totally loves this, but I don't care... it's awesome.

This livery was made just for the IAA Frankfurt reveal so you may never have to see it again :)
The rest of the car, everything besides the grill-less intakes, is awesome. The intakes would be better blacked out. To be fair it'll probably grow on me as time goes by, the integrated diffuser is amazing.

Also, the BMW GTLM contract is up for bid basically. Andretti and RLL are the main candidates, along with some other teams.

I think the car itself looks great - the livery needs work, and it could lose the "cold sore" nostril paint. I am curious though...how long is this car? The M6 derived car is pretty massive - this thing looks like an Audi A8L or something. Is BMW still intent on taking this to LeMans? I thought they were discussing a genuine LeMans assault ---- is this the car? Or are they considering a prototype entry the next time the rules change?

I think the car itself looks great - the livery needs work, and it could lose the "cold sore" nostril paint. I am curious though...how long is this car? The M6 derived car is pretty massive - this thing looks like an Audi A8L or something. Is BMW still intent on taking this to LeMans? I thought they were discussing a genuine LeMans assault ---- is this the car? Or are they considering a prototype entry the next time the rules change?
This is the car. This is a full on GTE car, that will be racing in IMSA and the WEC.

Good. Now, if Corvette would show up with a crazy new car...we'd be in business (Ford sticking around, new-layout Porsche, new BMW...come on Corvette --- oh and let's get more teams running Ferraris at LeMans while we're at it).

Your certainly not, it looks the business, mean and mighty :mischievous:. Personally I think the front end is one of the best bits about it, and the rear end is equally impressive with the massive diffuser, a-la current favourite the Ford. Otherwise, GTE just continues to get better, the cars are looking fantastic, and the racing continues to show for it too.

I think it looks great and I'm totally fine with the livery and the red nostrils. :P Reminds me of the DTM car with all of the diveplanes and sharp corners hacked off. It's a mean looking car, and I'm glad we're going to see it a lot State - side.

[QUOTE="catamount39, post: 11939294, member: 256061"
Also, the BMW GTLM contract is up for bid basically. Andretti and RLL are the main candidates, along with some other teams.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I totally missed that. I know Andretti can win races, but the RLL guys have been running a world class team for years. A few issues recently with the M6, sure. But they know how to win in GTLM. I've met them and the drivers a lot (I'm even FB friends with Bill Auberlen lol) so I'd feel horrible if they lose it.

What's the story with Gidley? Is he back to a competent race form, or is he going to get a couple of sympathy drives/seasons before retiring? That crash was freakin' horrendous.

Irma aftermath report: http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/144106-imsa-drivers-teams-impacted-by-hurricane-irma

- Sebring damaged pretty good, however resumed operations earlier this week.

- Daytona slightly damaged, nothing to write home about.

- Road Atlanta not really damaged, some clean up to be done but will be ready for Petite Le Mans.

- Visit Florida Racing experienced heavy water damage, cars and equipment okay, but generator for the lift gate on the truck is done for. Shank has offered them a truck if they need it. Some way somehow they're gonna arrive in California for Laguna Seca.

- ESM unscathed and had left Florida before storm to allow crews to get their homes ready.

Back