2017 NFL Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 592 comments
Well, if you don't run 3 times and make an incomplete pass, Brady has 40 seconds/1 timeout more to tie the game.
IMO it was the best they could do.

Miss that field goal and they basically lose. Make the field goal and you still give brady over a minute and a timeout to get the TD and go for 2... and they had looked unstoppable in all recent drives (minus the fumble). I'd have liked to see them try to win instead of try not to lose. Trying not to lose is how you lose to the patriots.

All congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles on winning Super Bowl LII. Is the world a happier place now that New England lost in the big game?

It will now be time to look ahead to the 2018 season. Philadelphia, the other 31 teams are ready to take your spot as being kings of the NFL. You have what every other team wants. Even my Texans. Even the Lions. Even the Dolphins. Even the Raiders. Even the Brow... uh, "Brons."

Get psyched for the 2018 season of NFL football! What are your memories of the 2017 season?

Ya the Lions probably won't win a Super Bowl for a very long time. Matt Patricia is not someone I really think will do a good job, his defense has been "meh" at best over the years. Plus, when someone leaves the Pats to go coach, it typically goes poorly.

Don't know how extensive this list is for other teams but here's the list of former Bills players and coaches who got rings on the Eagles (Rams and Ravens come to mind as other teams with quite a few players):
LT Jason Peters - On IR
LB Nigel Bradham
DB Ronald Darby
S Corey Graham
OC Frank Reich
DC Jim Schwartz

All congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles on winning Super Bowl LII. Is the world a happier place now that New England lost in the big game?

Yes.

For one day I became a Philly fan. Probably never again though. Unless they face the Pats or Steelers or Jags or any other AFC team that isn't the Bills, Bengals, Browns, or Chiefs in the Super Bowl (which is extremely likely because those are 4 awful playoff teams, if they can even make it there next year).

Get psyched for the 2018 season of NFL football! What are your memories of the 2017 season?

Tables. On fire.

Likelihood of the Bills getting back to the playoffs next year? We won't know until October. 2017 they had an extremely strong first 7 weeks with surprisingly weak opponents and a bend but don't break defense. Which pretty much went down the drain after a punishing Jets loss Thursday Night.

But this year we're facing the NFC North and the AFC South. Rodgers, #1 Defense Vikes, Solid Lions, Developing Bears, #3 Defense Jags, Solid Titans, Watson and Watt, Return of Luck....very tough. Fans always say their schedule is tough, but this one is actually tough. Add on to that with Ravens and Chargers teams that had a strong second half....might be tough to even go 8-8. Than again, how many of these teams will be legit contenders again next year, and how many will go down the poop-shoot? But they better build some depth to that defense this offseason, or else we might be picking top 10 again next year. Even though we got strong play out of Tre White and Micah Hyde, we had 2 safeties and 2 corners...the depth was non-existent.

What are your memories of the 2017 season?

vikings-saints-final0451.jpg

Memories of the 2017 season?
  • That cursed leprechaun Andy Dalton ending the Ravens chances of a postseason run Week 17.
  • Getting to break my own rules and gloat once about the Eagles winning to my Pats-fan half-brother.

If so many Houston Texans didn't fall like bugs to a bug light, we would have had a MUCH better season. One thing I learned is that Deshaun Watson is the future for the Texans. The thing I found so damning about the Texans was the injuries and then the controversial comments about "inmates running the asylum." This could have been a season where Houston sports (for once) can get some championship flow trickling down to the other teams (Texans and Rockets) after the Houston Astros won the 2017 World Series. But no- Texans got snakebit like crazy. Even with healthy players, better tackling wouldn't hurt for the Texans moving forward.

This could have been a better season, but as much as you can game plan for a season, you can't game plan injuries. That was the bulk of what made the Texans so inferior this past season. I do applaud J.J. Watt on winning the Walter Payton Award for his service to the Houston area.

Bring on the NFL Draft next for all of the teams.

I failed in my attempt to not find out the result before watching the game last night, but it was still well worth watching - a brilliant game, and it must have been a white-knuckle ride for Eagles fans - it would have been pretty typical for the Patriots to score on the last play of the game and set up overtime, but this time it wasn't to be.

Ya the Lions probably won't win a Super Bowl for a very long time. Matt Patricia is not someone I really think will do a good job, his defense has been "meh" at best over the years. Plus, when someone leaves the Pats to go coach, it typically goes poorly.

"Meh" at best?
With very few (I think 2) exceptions they had a top ten defense every year since Patricia joined the franchise.
Even with the bad start they had a top 5 defense this year and were #1 2016.
Don't know how anyone could call that mediocre.

And I'm definitely not a Pats fan.

"Meh" at best?
With very few (I think 2) exceptions they had a top ten defense every year since Patricia joined the franchise.
Even with the bad start they had a top 5 defense this year and were #1 2016.
Don't know how anyone could call that mediocre.

And I'm definitely not a Pats fan.

While they don't allow a ton of points, they do allow a ton of yards, both through the air and on the ground. This breaks it down for this year at least: https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/1...ares-to-previous-patriots-super-bowl-defenses

Their team is made of good players and Brady is one of the best at clock management so he can give the defense a chance to rest. That's their biggest upside.

Detroit isn't New England even though they have a decent set of players. Stafford isn't about clock management and there's no run game to speak of even if he wanted too.

As a Lions fan, I hope Patricia does well but I don't have high hopes for him.

While they don't allow a ton of points, they do allow a ton of yards, both through the air and on the ground. This breaks it down for this year at least: https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/1...ares-to-previous-patriots-super-bowl-defenses

At the end of the day, Opponent Points per Game is the only stat that counts.

Nobody cares about how many yards you allow your opponent to make as long as you manage to stop them before the goal line.
Let the Steelers have the most sacks, let the Ravens catch the most interceptions, I'm betting my behind that Belichick doesn't give a damn about those secondary stats as long as his team doesn't allow many points.

You could say the Pats are playing some kind of "bend but don't break" defense over the whole 60 minutes.

Detroit isn't New England even though they have a decent set of players. Stafford isn't about clock management and there's no run game to speak of even if he wanted too.

As a Lions fan, I hope Patricia does well but I don't have high hopes for him.

That's right and Head Coach is a totally different job than Defense Coordinator.
I think nobody can say that he knows how it'll turn out.
I wish you guys all the best though because I like the Lions.

Memories of 2017?

My Raiders underachieving. Again.

Blake Bortles playing a masterpiece of a game in Heinz Field.

That missed tackle in the Vikings-Saints game.

Randy Moss, TO, Ray Lewis, B. Dawkings & B. Urlacher getting inducted to the Hall of Fame this year. Man, I'm starting to think I'm actually getting old :lol:

That pic with Nick Foles, his baby and the Vince Lombardi.

Chiefs going Full Reid against the worst team that got to the Postseason this year.

The Cleveland "Brons" :v ...Go and earn that W again boys!!!

Only 2017 memory I got right now: The Super Bowl Champions needing a 60+ yard field goal in the first game and a 4th and goal stop at the 5 yard line to beat the 3-13 Giants this season.

You know, the thing that surprised me is just how well the Jacksonville Jaguars did this saeson. They beat my Texans bad twice both on opening weekend here in Houston, and then at Jacksonville. Remember that Houston and Jacksonville are both in the AFC South, so you play against your divisional foes twice a season. JAX came out pretty good and had a nice playoff run. I would call them the real surprise of the NFL.

I guess you could call the Los Angeles Rams the most surprising team on the NFC side. Sadly, the day I had to go to the hospital, my Texans played at the Rams, and the Texans needed more medical attention than I had that day. The Los Angeles Rams were great this past season.

The Jags and Rams were the two biggest surprises to me this past season.

You know, the thing that surprised me is just how well the Jacksonville Jaguars did this saeson. They beat my Texans bad twice both on opening weekend here in Houston, and then at Jacksonville. Remember that Houston and Jacksonville are both in the AFC South, so you play against your divisional foes twice a season. JAX came out pretty good and had a nice playoff run. I would call them the real surprise of the NFL.

I guess you could call the Los Angeles Rams the most surprising team on the NFC side. Sadly, the day I had to go to the hospital, my Texans played at the Rams, and the Texans needed more medical attention than I had that day. The Los Angeles Rams were great this past season.

The Jags and Rams were the two biggest surprises to me this past season.

So if you're Jacksonville, do you pay Bortles or consider this past season to be a fluke and get rid of him?

Only 2017 memory I got right now: The Super Bowl Champions needing a 60+ yard field goal in the first game and a 4th and goal stop at the 5 yard line to beat the 3-13 Giants this season.

And Ben McAdoo's greasy, slicked back, luscious hair.

You know what they say- every dog has his/her day. Conversely, everyone has their season. You never know what you will get out of someone in different seasons. Look at when the Texans picked up Brock Osweiler. How did THAT work? To be honest, I'm not sure about Blake Bortles. Maybe this was a season where he realized what he's capable of along with having a solid team to back him up. I say you keep Bortles and keep helping him improve. Blake Bortles was a real "laugh now, cry later" situation. So I'd hold onto him. That is, unless you can pick up a better QB in the Draft or in free agency to either develop or have as your starter come next season.

This is why Jimmy G got paid (and no, Captain Kirk Cousins won't get as much money).

Before and after Jimmy

How the 49ers fared statistically before and after Jimmy Garoppolo

STAT * BEFORE JG (WEEKS 1-12) * AFTER JG (WEEKS 13-17)
Offensive yards/game * 321.7 (21st in NFL) * 410.0 (3rd)
Points/game * 17.0 (28th) * 28.8 (5th)
Yards/play * 4.9 (24th) * 6.1 (4th)
Passing yards/game * 221.8 (17th) * 297 (3rd)
Passing yards/att. * 5.66 (29th) * 8.44 (1st)
Completion percentage * 56.6 (31st) * 67 (6th)
Passer rating * 72.6 (31st) * 94.0 (11th)
Total QBR * 32.4 (28th) * 80.0 (1st)
Rushing yards/game * 99.9 (23rd) * 113.0 (16th)
3rd-down conversion percentage * 34.1 (26th) * 50.0 (3rd)
Offensive efficiency * 20.88 (31st) * 70.53 (4th)
First downs/game * 18.5 (T-22nd) * 23.4 (2nd)
Time of possession * 27:36 (31st) * 32:54 (3rd)
Defensive yards allowed/game * 374.2 (28th) * 301.8 (7th)
Defensive yards allowed/play * 5.41 (18th) * 4.96 (9th)
Points allowed/game * 25.82 (28th) * 19.8 (T-9th)

Yeah... no. I wouldn't have given so much cash to Jimmy G despite those numbers. He hasn't earned that yet.

Garoppolo was the highest rated QB the last 5 weeks of the season and went 5-0 with a team that had only beaten the Giants through the first 12 weeks. He will carry the 49ers to the playoffs in 2018 and will be a selling point for free agents to come to San Francisco this off-season.

Is he worth the money though? Well he was in 2017 going 5-0 and only being paid $434,000 by the 49ers. The new contract is front heavy, however, and Jimmy's cap hit in 2018 is a whopping $37 million. In comparison, these were the top 10 QB cap hits in 2017:
Joe Flacco, Baltimore, $24.55 million
Carson Palmer, Arizona, $24.125 million
Kirk Cousins, Washington, $23.943 million
Matt Ryan, Atlanta, $23.75 million
Matthew Stafford, Detroit, $22 million
Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay, $20.3 million
Cam Newton, Carolina, $20.166 million
Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers, $20 million
Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants, $19.7 million
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis, $19.4 million

Only time will tell but if he starts a dynasty with Kyle Shanahan, he will be a bargain for the last half of the deal.

Back