2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
  • 194,253 views
Should keep it.
Erebus4-640x427.png
 
I'm starting to think that the only way Supercars is going to get more manufactures involved is if it becomes far more global. Than being a regional series that is given supposed global status.
 
I'm starting to think that the only way Supercars is going to get more manufactures involved is if it becomes far more global. Than being a regional series that is given supposed global status.
Yeah, I've thought that with whats happening in DTM.
 
Just had the realization that I'm gonna miss Bathurst this year, going to be in the remote outer islands of Fiji ... :( shall make sure it's recorded and waiting for me, do I bother with recording the support races too or nah?
 
Oh of course :rolleyes:

Just had the realization that I'm gonna miss Bathurst this year, going to be in the remote outer islands of Fiji ... :( shall make sure it's recorded and waiting for me, do I bother with recording the support races too or nah?
I'd record the support races just in case something huge/dramatic happens.
If it doesn't, you can always FF>> through the boring bits.
 
I'd record the support races just in case something huge/dramatic happens.
If it doesn't, you can always FF>> through the boring bits.

True, true. Will need to clear up some memory space beforehand then! ;)

That sounds fun. If it helps you out, I'd be more than happy to go in your place. :p
A ha ha haaaaa, funny guy! :lol:
 
"Australian NASCAR" Doesn't roll off the tongue. Thought it was "AUSCAR".
 
"Australian NASCAR" Doesn't roll off the tongue. Thought it was "AUSCAR".
There was definitely an AUSCAR championship but they were different from NASCAR.
 
Switching gears. Alfa are in TCR and now BTCC. I'm hoping they join Supercars, though, i can half see them joining DTM before Supercars.
 
"Australian NASCAR" Doesn't roll off the tongue. Thought it was "AUSCAR".
There was definitely an AUSCAR championship but they were different from NASCAR.
The NASCARs that raced at the Thinderdome were exactly the same spec as those that raced in the US.

AUSCARS were Ford Falcons & Holden Commodores built to race at the Thunderdome as a supporting act, nothing more, nothing less.
The fact these cars probably drew a larger portion of the crowd, IMO is down to AUSCAR providing a Ford versus Holden tribal war that was sorely missed during the Group A era.

AUSCARS were 5.0 litre, carburettor fed, V8s producing around 370-380bhp, driving through a 4-speed Manual to a locked diff. Weight, IIRC, was 1400kg and they ran on Goodyear Eagle tyres with the tread buffed down to 2-3mm.

The NASCARS used to lap the 'dome in 27.xxx whereas the AUSCARS started out at 32.xxx & dropped that to under 31s towards the end.
 
Would be very cool of someone purchased Calder Park and redeveloped the Thunderdome with road course section on the inside. They could just use the two circuits connected like the WTCC did in the late 80s. Actually, now that I think about it, the combined course would make for a very good endurance circuit to replace Sandown once that has gone to the property developers.
 
Let me guess:

For the #22: Replace "Telecom" with "Boost"
HRT_History.jpg


For the #2: I wish...
Jaguar-XJ-S-TWR-Group-A-718.jpg
 
The 2 car will no doubt be a classic Mobil scheme, hopefully Brocks VK Commodore. Unsure on the 22 though, maybe something more so from Boost Mobiles history rather than racing history.

Actually, thinking about it again. It's been 10 years since HSVDT won the championship with Garth Tander in the orange Toll car. A colour scheme very similar to Boost and an anniversary to boot, I reckon it could be on the cards.
 
Last edited:
'76 Brock/Brock livery for Reynolds' car.

Erebus-Brock-3-640x418.png


Actually, thinking about it again. It's been 10 years since HSVDT won the championship with Garth Tander in the orange Toll car. A colour scheme very similar to Boost and an anniversary to boot, I reckon it could be on the cards.

Pye's car is easy because of all the classic Mobil liveries. But I've been struggling to think what they could possibly do with Courtney's car because of the Boost sponsorship. Reckon you've just nailed it. 👍
 
Greg Murphy is doing four laps around Bathurst each day of the event next month to show off the V6 in the Sandman. Going to be quite a spectacle I'd imagine. It will certainly polarised fans on the mountain anyway.
 
Looks pretty good. They've gone the whole the year without a second bonnet sponsor, so it's unfortunate that when they do get one, it makes the car look a little less like it's original counterpart.
 
They've done a great job of that. I wish they had the five spokes back too
 
I like that they stuck as close to the orignal livery as possible, but that big white sticker for the NAVY really kills it. But other than that, it's really good.
 
The #22 is okay. It's mainly the orange and matte black.
 
I was hoping that it would keep the the Lion and have Boost where the Toll logo used to be but I wasn't really expecting it. Looks better than the normal scheme though that's for sure.
 
Back