2017 WEC 6 Hours of Silverstone - Results @ Post #110

What a great start to the new season of the brilliance that is the WEC. I am delighted we won the race but just once I would like to see the team win the easy way. Hopefully Lopez will be back for Spa-Francorchamps too after that big impact.

I had thought that having an LMP2 field comprised solely of Oreca 07s would be disappointing but we are in for an epic fight right to the chequered flag in Bahrain in that class.

Ive seen better races if Im honest. But WEC never, never disappoints. Today a brilliant overtake and a spectacular end on GTAM.

Boy, they day we have 4 manufacturers with real intentions to win... Peugeot, hurry up.

The engine should be on the rear. There are suposse to be GT cars, not prototypes. If you want a mid engine GTLM, make a mid engine street car. Although is not Porsche's fault, they just do everything possible to win.

No first off this is the WEC thread not IMSA. GTE is meant to be a more open development class of GT racing which is why it's not GT3. Porsche followed the rules, they are to use a 2 seat or 2+2 sport coupe, a engine from that cars production among other smaller regs. No where does the rules specify they can't locate the engine where they have.

The engine should be on the rear. There are suposse to be GT cars, not prototypes. If you want a mid engine GTLM, make a mid engine street car. Although is not Porsche's fault, they just do everything possible to win.
So it was ok for the Ford to race all that time even thought they only recently delivered the first road cars?

I guess they realise the more manufactures the better. I just think that and the mid-engined RSR (and the amount of waivers GTE has had in the last few years) means a whole can of worms been opened that has dangers of ending up like 90's GT1.

You know I found it surprising other manufacturers weren't really bothered by that.
Actually they were, the rules stated they must have already made the road cars, Ford promised they will have the required numbers by the end of last year.

All the other company's agreed to let them race on the basis before being stabbed in the back.

No first off this is the WEC thread not IMSA. GTE is meant to be a more open development class of GT racing which is why it's not GT3. Porsche followed the rules, they are to use a 2 seat or 2+2 sport coupe, a engine from that cars production among other smaller regs. No where does the rules specify they can't locate the engine where they have.

False under page 9 article 301 it had to get a waiver.

Last edited:
I don't see why any category of the WEC needs a separate race to generate exposure. With Lamborghini and Mclaren rumoured in 2019 according to the article and BMW joining next year, I think that it would be fine.

What the WEC really needs is another LMP2 model instead of the unintended one make series and a manufacturer or 2 in LMP1.

So it was ok for the Ford to race all that time even thought they only recently delivered the first road cars?

The same for the Ford.

Of course they are following the rules, they would be disqualified if not. But the spirit of GT cars is having modified street cars for racing, giving the grid a lot more variety. Not prototypes slightly similar to the real cars.

And this is a personal opinion: I prefer the LMGT class to stay more humble. For prototypes we already have the LMP classes.

This is something related with what @jake2013guy is saying. Unifying GT3 and GTE and LMP2 and DPi (or allowing those to race on Lemans) would be glorious. But could degenerate on having an escalating of costs on the GTE/3 class.

Of course they are following the rules, they would be disqualified if not. But the spirit of GT cars is having modified street cars for racing, giving the grid a lot more variety. Not prototypes slightly similar to the real cars.

And this is a personal opinion: I prefer the LMGT class to stay more humble. For prototypes we already have the LMP classes.

This is something related with what @jake2013guy is saying. Unifying GT3 and GTE and LMP2 and DPi (or allowing those to race on Lemans) would be glorious. But could degenerate on having an escalating of costs on the GTE/3 class.

Not necessarily they could get a waiver, though in recent years the ACO/FIA has frowned on this.

LMGT is less humble than the current GTE because they allow cars that the FIA's GTE would not allow like those BMW has produced.

GTE has always been a development class for GT cars, while GT3 is a more true production to race car class. I see nothing wrong with this, because it allows for new cars for the public to come of it.

I was wonder when this was going to get it's own thread earlier in the day, and low and behold it happens. Now if I can just wish hard enough for an A on my midterm this week.

I don't see why any category of the WEC needs a separate race to generate exposure. With Lamborghini and Mclaren rumoured in 2019 according to the article and BMW joining next year, I think that it would be fine.

What the WEC really needs is another LMP2 model instead of the unintended one make series and a manufacturer or 2 in LMP1.
Ginetta and SMP will probably both be in lmp1 next year. There is no subclass for the privateer car this season. But that might change next year with 3 or more teams. Kcmg might be interested in joining the lmp1 party also.

Back