2017 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

• Thread starter Accro2008
  • 776 comments
That Kris Meeke clip...good god, if that doesn't vault him into the annals of rallying history like McRae disregarding team orders, then nothing will.

After his overall run in Mexico I have to give it to him, that was awesome to me. I think the Citroen was set up in design for more traditional dirt runs. Which is perhaps why it hasn't run great until now.

It was just another case of reaffirming that with Meeke, you can't be sure of anything until he has crossed the line. People like Ogier and Latvala can get the lead, and then keep it without crashing, but you never know with Meeke, which is probably the only thing that stops him truly being considered title challenging.

He's probably best compared to Montoya without the fury. Unbeatable on his day, but an also ran when not, with the risk of binning it on the next corner.

Just saw the clip on CH5's WRC coverage, Your doing it wrong Meeke! :lol:

upload_2017-3-13_19-57-27.png

That VW Passat CC owner is going to be pissed!

He didn't realise there was a small dirt road exit just further along the hedge to the right, I guess because he was disoriented he went left.

It was just another case of reaffirming that with Meeke, you can't be sure of anything until he has crossed the line. People like Ogier and Latvala can get the lead, and then keep it without crashing, but you never know with Meeke, which is probably the only thing that stops him truly being considered title challenging.

He's probably best compared to Montoya without the fury. Unbeatable on his day, but an also ran when not, with the risk of binning it on the next corner.

I disagree, I think they're all mad men, and none of them bring any sort of safety or assured guarantee of winning while leading. You're not sure what you'll get until the race is over. Latvala had some scary moments, Ogier was probably the most clean on his way to victory, but then there was the last race and his silly mistake made. They all do it, so not sure why Meeke's moment is a big deal when the same Hyundai driver has ended his most likely victory with race ending mistakes twice.

Also the amount of pressure on the Citroen team is probably a big factor in this as well.

Can't forget 2015 Rally Corsica Power Stage. Crashed into a barrier and had to retire giving Mikkelsen his first WRC victory.

Yeah after you said it I did recall, and there had been some others too, I was just saying for this season. Seems people want to hit out at Meeke rather than the actual mistake. When most of the top drivers have already made just as big or bigger this season. If British press didn't do such a stellar job of making their drivers look like Jesus on water, and making them also seem like jerks, perhaps people would like them more.

Yeah after you said it I did recall, and there had been some others too, I was just saying for this season. Seems people want to hit out at Meeke rather than the actual mistake. When most of the top drivers have already made just as big or bigger this season. If British press didn't do such a stellar job of making their drivers look like Jesus on water, and making them also seem like jerks, perhaps people would like them more.

I really like Kris. He's obviously quite talented. Maybe it's luck idk, but I feel like he either crashes or does well. There doesn't seem to be much in between for me. If Thierry could stop crashing, I'd almost go as far as to say he's the quickest in the WRC right now.

Fantastic stuff, rally definitely needs spectacle like this.

Although does anyone else think that the camera shots from the dash showing the driver/co-driver are a complete waste of airtime? I'd rather see shots of the whole field going through the same corner rather than the coverage of the top four being fleshed out by in-car shots.

It was just another case of reaffirming that with Meeke, you can't be sure of anything until he has crossed the line.

I agree, whenever I am watching the coverage and they show Meeke, I always ask myself, is this where it happens? lol. To be fair though, it can and does happen to them all. Just seems to happen more often to a certain few!

Although does anyone else think that the camera shots from the dash showing the driver/co-driver are a complete waste of airtime? I'd rather see shots of the whole field going through the same corner rather than the coverage of the top four being fleshed out by in-car shots.

The powers-that-be have always been guilty of thinking that's the greatest shot ever, when all it does is make people instantly lose interest.
Someone's father/grandfather/uncle must have thought it up and they're never going to stop promoting it.

Hello.

Long time GT Planet member, first time poster (at least here)

I was curious to learn a little more about WRC, so I had a few questions.

Outside of Colin McRae Rally, the X Games, Rallisport Challenge, and WRC 5, my knowledge of rallying is very little. I do however, know of Sebastian Ogier.

How many championships has he won? Why is he getting a 22 point penalty for a gearbox? Has the WRC ever been in the USA?

Hello.

Long time GT Planet member, first time poster (at least here)

I was curious to learn a little more about WRC, so I had a few questions.

Outside of Colin McRae Rally, the X Games, Rallisport Challenge, and WRC 5, my knowledge of rallying is very little. I do however, know of Sebastian Ogier.

How many championships has he won? Why is he getting a 22 point penalty for a gearbox? Has the WRC ever been in the USA?

He has four of them, there is an article that tells you why he might get a penalty in this very thread only a few posts back. And yes there was once a US round.

Has the WRC ever been in the USA?

The Press-on-Regardless Rally in Michigan was part of the inaugural WRC season in 1973, and returned for 1974. The '74 event was infamously cut short when a local sheriff chased a Lancia Stratos into a special stage while trying to apprehend the driver for speeding.
After that, there was no US round until 1986, when the Olympus Rally in Washington state was added. That '86 round is often overlooked as the final time that the Group B cars ever ran. With the mandatory switch to Group A in 1987, the rally's already small popularity dwindled even further and it was dropped after one more try in '88.

The Press-on-Regardless Rally in Michigan was part of the inaugural WRC season in 1973, and returned for 1974. The '74 event was infamously cut short when a local sheriff chased a Lancia Stratos into a special stage while trying to apprehend the driver for speeding.
After that, there was no US round until 1986, when the Olympus Rally in Washington state was added. That '86 round is often overlooked as the final time that the Group B cars ever ran. With the mandatory switch to Group A in 1987, the rally's already small popularity dwindled even further and it was dropped after one more try in '88.

So the Sheriff chased a rally version of the Startos, why? I mean I get the speeding, but was it speeding in a place it wasn't suppose to or what is part of the Rally and the bumpkin sheriff never heard of no rally racing.

Latest Posts

Back