Rally 2017 World Rally Championship

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Accro2008, Nov 30, 2016.

1. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

They were satisfied that Bertelli had enough experience.

And yet, they haven't done that.

2. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Maybe because M-Sport can't afford it? Why would they pay extra fees just so privateers can score points in the teams championship? Privateers don't care.

This is totally besides the point anyway as the original discussion was about how Hyundai would run a 4 car team if they sign Mikkelsen!

3. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Which has been explained to you: they would enter Mikkelsen separately and he would not be eligible to score manufacturer points. If Hyundai nominated him to score, then one of their existing drivers would have to be registered separately. They would run four cars, but under the regulations, only three would be able to score manufacturer points.

4. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

It's like banging my head against a brick wall. They get around that by entering as two manufacturers, Hyundai 1 and Hyundai 2, each have two cars under them.

5. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

No, that's banned. When they did it previously, each manufacturer team got 42 days of testing in a year. As soon as you ran a second team, you got 84 days of testing. The FIA wanted to end that, so they limited manufacturers to one team that is eligible to score points.

Simmpa likes this.
  6. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Do you have a link to a news article or even the regulation which bans it?

7. Simmpa

Simmpa

Toyotas engine overheating again, what a pity I thought Latvala could challenge for victory. If Toyota doesn´t fix this Latvalas title hopes are certainly over.

8. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

Evans hangs onto the lead after pretty much the entire field has a scrappy day. Can he hang on for his and DMACK's first WRC win?

In other news, Meeke rolled for the second time in 2 days...

LMSCorvetteGT2 and Pete05 like this.
  9. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

With one stage to go Evans is only 0.6s ahead of Neuville after "problems". This could be close.

10. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Well that was tense. Argentina always seems to deliver an interesting rally. I feel for Elfyn so much but credit to Thierry for that comeback.

11. C-ZETA

C-ZETA

It was close. Neuville beats Evans by 0.7 seconds. Which makes it the third closest rally of all time.

Evans lost it by driving into a bridge. Have to feel for the man, really.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  12. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

I mean good result for D-Mack either way, so he should come away with that and be proud of the effort he put in.

13. Simmpa

Simmpa

They already updated it on Wikipedia. I think Neuvilles victory puts Paddon in a tough position, now he may have to follow team orders to let Neuville win if he is second.

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Rally_Championship_records

14. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

That's unlikely to happen. Paddon is struggling at the moment. He has never driven a car with an electronic centre differential before, and the team is having to turn it down to recreate the feel of the 2016 cars so that Paddon can fine-tune his setup. They'll gradually turn the differential back up, but they don't really expect him to be a team leader this year.

15. Simmpa

Simmpa

At which year was Centre Differential banned? I think most drivers haven´t driven in the championship with one

16. [Nor]MclarenF1

[Nor]MclarenF1

I think it was for the 2011 season. That, and the banning of paddle shifters was to make the cars more mechanical and make it more driver focused.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  17. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Correct.

18. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

The Rally Portugal entry list has been published, but Andreas Mikkelsen is not in a WRC car - he'll continue his WRC-2 campaign with Škoda.

19. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

It looks like Mikkelsen couldn't get a WRC drive in Portugal because Škoda said no:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129289/mikkelsen-unable-to-get-wrc-seat-for-portugal

They entered two Fabia R5s; one for Pontus Tidemand, and a second which would normally be driven by Jan Kopecký. However, Kopecký isn't available because he's contesting a round of the Czech national championship. As Škoda need to fill the second car, Mikkelsen got the call-up.

However, it's expected that he will get another test day on gravel before Portugal.

[Nor]MclarenF1 likes this.
  20. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Timo Mäkinen, the father of Tommi and a four-time rally winner, has died at the age of 79.

21. Greycap

Greycap Premium

Not related to Tommi in any way, I think. Just a coincidence that they had the same surname but then again it's one of the most common in Finland.

GroupB likes this.
  22. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

23. noshog

noshog

My vote would be for New Zealand :D

Simmpa and Pete05 like this.
  24. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

They both have their strengths. New Zealand has some spectacular roads, would capitalise on the popularity of Hayden Paddon, and if twinned with Australia would probably make the long-haul flyaway leg at the end of the season much more manageable (and if it gets a September date, it would likely restore the Wales Rally GB to its rightful place as the final round). Croatia, on the other hand, would offer the opportunity for another mixed-surface event as right now the concept is really just a novelty in Catalunya, would probably draw large crowds, and also has spectacular roads.

25. Simmpa

Simmpa

I don´t get why they didn´t filled in another round after China was not scheduled to return in 2017. I have my worst fears and next year we still probably gonna have the same bland tiny 13 round calendar and Rally Finland 2.0 (Poland) will still be on the calendar. I wish Croatia could replace Poland when have New Zealand as 14th round, and if there will be 16 rounds add Japan and some other east Asian country like Indonesia or Malaysia

26. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Because it takes time to organise a new round and China was dropped at the last minute.

27. Simmpa

Simmpa

In the past they where able to throw in Rally Cyprus the same year Rally China got cancelled in year 2000

28. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Because the FIA were already considering Cyprus as a future event at the time. The Cypriots had successfully run their candidate rally and were looking to join the calendar from 2001. Neither New Zealand nor Croatia have run a candidate event this time.

LMSCorvetteGT2 and Simmpa like this.
  29. Motoyuki7

Motoyuki7

I vote for New Zealand too! I miss those roads with natural good camber. :D
    And let's wait to see Mikkelsen in a WRC car in a other time.

30. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

LMSCorvetteGT2 and Pete05 like this.