2018 Azerbaijan Grand PrixFormula 1 

When I think of two drivers that would almost certainly have a crash if they were to have a battle with a clone of themselves, Verstappen and Magnussen come to mind.

The Way they overtly defend would not be remotely compatable with how they attack and would just be a crash every time.
Nail -> Head. A Verstappen v Verstappen battle would be a very exciting 30 seconds.

Of course, I think Romain Grosjean has them both whipped when it comes to being one's own worst enemy.

As soon as Max jigged to the right he lost all his defence, the only choices he can legally have at that moment is brake where he is or move to the racing line to do so, instead he did the one thing he isn't allowed to do and went left.

The Rules state you can only move once in defence and your permitted an extra move to the racing line for braking, the racing line was to the right of Max anyway so it doesn't apply.

Yet my original point that Ricciardo left his braking too late still stands regardless of Verstappen's double movement and both were deemed to be jointly to blame for the incident by the stewards who have access to data that we don't.

Yet my original point that Ricciardo left his braking too late still stands regardless of Verstappen's double movement and both were deemed to be jointly to blame for the incident by the stewards who have access to data that we don't.
The other top teams do not seem to countenance their drivers weaving under braking to block a teammate - or do they?

Should Red Bull institute a policy change? Max understandably wants to maintain his right to fight his own teammate, and has come to expect to be able to use the weaving tactic to do it. It it were my team, I'd enforce it.

The other top teams do not seem to countenance their drivers weaving under braking to block a teammate - or do they?

Should Red Bull institute a policy change? Max understandably wants to maintain his right to fight his own teammate, and has come to expect to be able to use the weaving tactic to do it. It it were my team, I'd enforce it.
I really hope they don't - team orders preventing racing kills the sport. It is thanks to teams like Red Bull who allow their drivers to actually race each other that F1 is still worth watching.

I really hope they don't - team orders preventing racing kills the sport. It is thanks to teams like Red Bull who allow their drivers to actually race each other that F1 is still worth watching.

I dont think that's necessarily true... if a team has two drivers are mature and respectful then there isnt too much of a problem?

Hamilton and Alonso? Arguably Vettel and Kimi?

If you have a definite #1 and #2 then yeah...

I dont think that's necessarily true... if a team has two drivers are mature and respectful then there isnt too much of a problem?

But it's only a problem for Red Bull and their drivers. For everyone else it's either a greater spectator spectacle, or for other teams, potentially gifted championship points.

Have to say, after this race, if I was Toto, I don't think I'd be looking to replace Bottas. This year he's been more than a match for Lewis. Out qualifying him twice and just, driving better than him at China and Baku. Both him and Lewis have respect for each other and he seems to work well with the team. He's proven to be a fast, reliable set of hands that is more than capable of pulling a great performance out of the bag and keeps their number 1 happy enough.
Why give that up?
I do think Riccy is a better driver, but I think having him on the team could possibly upset their balance and it might do them better for Riccy to upset Vettel than Lewis...

That's probably where the debris came from that gave Bottas the puncture.

Yeah that's the popular train of thought.

Rule of the road is if you hit someone from behind, it's your fault.
Even if we consider that true - which i don't after having seen the crash of the young Billy Monger who cost him his two legs - that doesn't prevent responsibility of the front driver.
In this other race , the front driver of the two involved, Roberto Merhi, got a two races ban:

Even if we consider that true - which i don't after having seen the crash of the young Billy Monger who cost him his two legs - that doesn't prevent responsibility of the front driver.
In this other race , the front driver of the two involved, Roberto Merhi, got a two races ban:

That's not the road mate. In Britain it's the driver who hits from behind who is held accountable on the road.

Of course in civilised countries each incident would be considered on its own merits.

That's not the road mate. In Britain it's the driver who hits from behind who is held accountable on the road.

Of course in civilised countries each incident would be considered on its own merits.

It's not true for the road either but there we go. There are lots of situations where the driver behind wouldn't be held accountable for an accident in the UK.

Blocking a pass in the braking zone, spinning across a wet track and coming to standstill and slowing down to a dangerous speed after crossing the finishing line are all totally different occurrences and should be (and were) dealt with in totally different ways. There's no comparison here at all.

On a highway, the closest a pubic road can be to a race circuit imo, if you brake in the middle of the lane for no reason, i.e. no one brakes in front of you, and you get hit from behind it's your fault. If the car has any mechanical problem, you can steer it into the "emergency lane" (don't know how it's called in other countries). That's why there's a minimum legal speed for highways. On a racing circuit, I don't think you can brake in the middle of a straight, let alone on the checkered flag.

Interesting... I suspect it will just get mentioned in the drivers briefing ahead of Spanish GP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43947684
He mentioned it on the radio at the time - and he's right, once Vettel became the SC he did speed up and slow down at least three times. While weaving too, which was a bit rude.

I suspect Vettel was thinking of Baku 2017 at the time.

Both Max and Danny have been given reprimands.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog
Verstappen has now been involved in incidents at all four races in 2018. How does he not have 3 points against his licence by now. No wonder he doesn't learn. He should have a 10 grid penalty by now.

Regardless if the team has reprimanded Both of them.
The Cause of the Accident, the person who put the cogs into to motion is MAX.
Down the Straight, Danny was 1st attempting to slip stream and go to the right. Max moved right. That was his One Move.
Danny now Committed to the pass, Moves left and will Out brake Max in the Braking zone.
Max then makes the 2nd Move Left in front of Danny, Who is now got too much momentum, and Loss of Air on the front wing.
By Max gutting Left in the braking zone, He caused the Accident.

Max should have stayed where he was, or moved to the racing Line further to the right.
His Move to the left in the braking zone in front of Danny is the Cause.

And yes, Why doesn't Verstappen have more points??

The incident with KMag and Gasly

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-f1-gasly-magnussen-dangerous-azerbaijan.html

Pretty messed up how he closed on him against a wall, few cm different and Gasly could have been airborne

It is messed up, however, watching that entire video from both cars perspective I do believe Magnusson when he said he couldn't use his mirrors (at least on that section of the course). Look at the left one; it is shaking so violently there is no way he could see Gasly on that left side. Magnuson is still to blame for the move into Gasly, but I wonder if he moved over trying to block an overtake not realizing Gasly was already inside his left rear wheel? Only Magnuson knows, but I do think that video adds a bit of doubt.

He mentioned it on the radio at the time - and he's right, once Vettel became the SC he did speed up and slow down at least three times. While weaving too, which was a bit rude.

I suspect Vettel was thinking of Baku 2017 at the time.

What part the fact that Hamilton didn't do that? Or the time he complained about supposed harsh slowing, and then does something as bad as what he moaned about last year? Which part of irony are we going with here?

It is messed up, however, watching that entire video from both cars perspective I do believe Magnusson when he said he couldn't use his mirrors (at least on that section of the course). Look at the left one; it is shaking so violently there is no way he could see Gasly on that left side. Magnuson is still to blame for the move into Gasly, but I wonder if he moved over trying to block an overtake not realizing Gasly was already inside his left rear wheel? Only Magnuson knows, but I do think that video adds a bit of doubt.
I don't see it providing that much doubt, he knew Gasly was there maybe the first action was an accident, but then he nearly causes another collision by trying to run him wide into a wall more than once.

I think that's why he didn't get a harsher penalty. But he would have known he was there, and should know how much space to leave for a car... Gasly is lucky... that's twice in the same weekend he came close to flying through no fault of his own

31682446_1869339589745779_8100327063493279744_n.jpg

he knew Gasly was there maybe the first action was an accident, but then he nearly causes another collision by trying to run him wide into a wall more than once.

At some point the team should take a hit for allowing their car to race in an unsafe condition - if accidents like this are accepted because a driver can't see alongside them then that's a serious issue. There's no reason why mirrors shouldn't be fit for purpose other than the natural engineer's obsession with weight and CoG.

At some point the team should take a hit for allowing their car to race in an unsafe condition - if accidents like this are accepted because a driver can't see alongside them then that's a serious issue. There's no reason why mirrors shouldn't be fit for purpose other than the natural engineer's obsession with weight and CoG.

Halo seems quite rigid, maybe they should pull the trigger and put them there first.

Back