2018 Azerbaijan Grand PrixFormula 1 

I missed that one completely

http://racingclothesline.com/post/173453730860/the-stewards-completely-ignored-ferraris-unsafe

BTW RedBull already has a solution:

RBR solution.jpg

Last edited:
What part the fact that Hamilton didn't do that? Or the time he complained about supposed harsh slowing, and then does something as bad as what he moaned about last year? Which part of irony are we going with here?
That's kind of the joke - and point.

Vettel was adamant that Hamilton brake-checked him, and even today you'll still find Vettel fans who are just as adamant that it happened. They (and probably he) will see dicking about brake-checking Hamilton as payback.

That's kind of the joke - and point.

Vettel was adamant that Hamilton brake-checked him, and even today you'll still find Vettel fans who are just as adamant that it happened. They (and probably he) will see dicking about brake-checking Hamilton as payback.

I hadn't seen them yet, which is why it was hard for me to tell what side of the fence you were playing.

I’m just waiting for f1 2018 haha, I’ve only played 2006. But this is the first race I’ve actually watched and I was intrigued

A bit of a side note but there is one downside to having more F1 content online. I had to record the race and wait until after work to watch it. While doing a quick check of YT during lunch, one of my recommendations? Verstappen and Ricciardo colliding. I pretty much said what Grosjean said right after he crashed. :lol:

At least that was the only spoiler. The race got to a point in which I felt as though F1 and NASCAR swapped places for the weekend with all the debris, collisions, safety cars and restarts. I think the lasting image for me is a peculiar one. For Bottas to have a prior race slip out of his hands because of a safety car only to think he had a reversal of fortune with another one only to cut a tire, that was cruel. But Toto Wolff's reaction perfectly encapsulted just how unpredictable Baku was as a whole.

ddrh2ltpw0v01.jpg

Blocking a pass in the braking zone, spinning across a wet track and coming to standstill and slowing down to a dangerous speed after crossing the finishing line are all totally different occurrences and should be (and were) dealt with in totally different ways. There's no comparison here at all.
Indeed, and that was basically my explicit point to dismiss the "who-crash-into-who" rule of thumbs by giving a counter example.

It is messed up, however, watching that entire video from both cars perspective I do believe Magnusson when he said he couldn't use his mirrors (at least on that section of the course). Look at the left one; it is shaking so violently there is no way he could see Gasly on that left side. Magnuson is still to blame for the move into Gasly, but I wonder if he moved over trying to block an overtake not realizing Gasly was already inside his left rear wheel? Only Magnuson knows, but I do think that video adds a bit of doubt.
Magnussen just did some Magnussen stuff here.
If we take his claim for granted - that he couldn't see in his left mirror - then how does he explains his second move (near pit entrance) to the left after having hit "someone" to his left a first time? A blind move at 320 kph ?
Anyway, even its first move has zero justification at all if he can't see in his mirrors. So he's just lying.
Magnussen has now 4 out 12 points left on his super licence.
I don't know when he'll start to recover some of his 8 lost points since, as i understand it, it covers a sliding 1 year period.

Last edited:
Indeed, and that was basically my explicit point to dismiss the "who-crash-into-who" rule of thumbs by giving a counter example.

Magnussen just did some Magnussen stuff here.
If we take his claim for granted - that he couldn't see in his left mirror - then how does he explains his second move (near pit entrance) to the left after having hit "someone" to his left a first time? A blind move at 320 kph ?
Anyway, even its first move has zero justification at all if he can't see in his mirrors. So he's just lying.
Magnussen has now 4 out 12 points left on his super licence.
I don't know when he'll start to recover some of his 8 lost points since, as i understand it, it covers a sliding 1 year period.
1 point has expired since the race

Hey look who finished P2, perhaps don't be so quick to speak as if the race is decided before it starts.Oh and his team mate making another lock up mistake this weekend costing him what should of been an easy win and valuable constructor points as you spoke on.
Vettel made a big mistake after safety car but his pace was top, should have been an easy win without Max ruining is race again, this time indirectly. Kimi made a dumb crash with Ocon and overall he had mediocre pace from start to finsih. P2 is only because everyone in front of him except the luckiest F1 driver ever had somthing. All theese safety cars are changing results way too drammatically. Second time in a row it happens. Vettel lost a 2nd and a 1st place he deserved. One thing is sure Charlie Whithing know very well how to time the call in order to ruin Seb race as much as he can.

Memory doesn't stretch as far back as Australia then, where Vettel was "gifted" a win by Charlie and his (virtual or otherwise) safety car button...

EDIT: I actually think Ocon was more to blame for his incident with Raikkonen though, since he closed the door with no regards to Kimi's foot being in it already.

Vettel made a big mistake after safety car but his pace was top, should have been an easy win without Max ruining is race again, this time indirectly. Kimi made a dumb crash with Ocon and overall he had mediocre pace from start to finsih. P2 is only because everyone in front of him except the luckiest F1 driver ever had somthing. All theese safety cars are changing results way too drammatically. Second time in a row it happens. Vettel lost a 2nd and a 1st place he deserved. One thing is sure Charlie Whithing know very well how to time the call in order to ruin Seb race as much as he can.
Vettel has been gifted a race he had no right to this year. Doesn't that count? Or is it only when it goes against him that it matters?

Vettel has been gifted a race he had no right to this year. Doesn't that count? Or is it only when it goes against him that it matters?
Arguably two - although I wouldn't say he had no right to either (just as with Ricciardo in China, or Hamilton in Baku), as he was in the right place at the right time to make the most of other people's misfortune.

Vettel was able to capitalise on a Mercedes miscalculation on gapping and a VSC to pit without losing significant time at Australia. In Bahrain Mercedes miscalculated again and by the time they realised Vettel wasn't pitting and sent Bottas to catch him - which he did at a HUGE rate - it was too late to pass. In China, Mercedes dropped the ball with the safety car and though they couldn't capitalise with Bottas, they simply didn't with Hamilton, and Ricciardo was able to pass all the old-tyre cars with relative ease. Although he really only won the race because his teammate (who was ahead) had a moment with Hamilton that allowed Ricciardo past. And then another with Vettel which just sealed it up really.

Mercedes at Baku is only different from Red Bull at Shanghai* in that the winner's team-mate lost the lead through equipment failure (although Coulthard did suggest Bottas really ought to have been aware of the debris) rather than driver failure. And both were only close enough to make it count because of a safety car caused by a team with Taureau Rouge logos...

*Shaka, when the walls fell.

I'm not sure if we were watching the same race, but that was 100% Ocons fault.
How you can say it was 100% fault on Ocon? I would say 50% 50%, I just pointed out Kimi made a not so "iceman" move by destroying his front wing in a rushed Verstappenesque attempt when he could pass that slow car later with a considerably faster machine at his disposal.
Conspiracy Morpheus: What if I told you that Merlbourne win has been taken back already and they used Max twice to do the job. :rolleyes::P

Vettel was able to capitalise on a Mercedes miscalculation on gapping and a VSC to pit without losing significant time at Australia. In Bahrain Mercedes miscalculated again and by the time they realised Vettel wasn't pitting and sent Bottas to catch him - which he did at a HUGE rate - it was too late to pass. In China, Mercedes dropped the ball with the safety car and though they couldn't capitalise with Bottas, they simply didn't with Hamilton, and Ricciardo was able to pass all the old-tyre cars with relative ease. Although he really only won the race because his teammate (who was ahead) had a moment with Hamilton that allowed Ricciardo past. And then another with Vettel which just sealed it up really.

Sokath! His eyes open!

How you can say it was 100% fault on Ocon? I would say 50% 50%, I just pointed out Kimi made a not so "iceman" move by destroying his front wing in a rushed Verstappenesque attempt when he could pass that slow car later with a considerably faster machine at his disposal.

Because there was nothing wrong with Kimi's move, he got alongside well before the turn in point and he got the car slowed down in time for the corner, Ocon just turned in as if he wasn't there. Unless you're saying it was Kimi's fault that he tried to overtake someone then I have on idea why you would think he was remotely to blame.

Kimi was fully alongside him heading into that corner. I think it would be fair to assume at that point Ocon knew he was there. He didn't turn across Kimi's front wing, he got Kimi's front wheel halfway up the cockpit. Watch the footage again..... the "leaving a car's width" rule applies, or should.

Because there was nothing wrong with Kimi's move, he got alongside well before the turn in point and he got the car slowed down in time for the corner, Ocon just turned in as if he wasn't there. Unless you're saying it was Kimi's fault that he tried to overtake someone then I have on idea why you would think he was remotely to blame.
You can think different I'm not here to say you can't. But at the start drivers often overreact and try to keep position in a borderline fashion. If Kimi waited the long straight the pass would have been much easier.

You can think different I'm not here to say you can't. But at the start drivers often overreact and try to keep position in a borderline fashion. If Kimi waited the long straight the pass would have been much easier.
Of course, drivers should all wait to overtake on the straights to ensure they aren't just turned in on.

Wait....

But why wait for another opportunity to pass cleanly when you have one right infront of you? His move wasn't borderline at all, he easily got up the inside before the corner so again, why is it Kimi's fault that Ocon just turned across him and messed up what would have otherwise been a completely standard overtake?

Of course, drivers should all wait to overtake on the straights to ensure they aren't just turned in on.

Wait....
Or we can all destroy our front wing because random guy from Mercedes DTM close the door. What will you do in an online race with a much faster car? Tip: destroy the wing is the wrong answer.

Or we can all destroy our front wing because random guy from Mercedes DTM close the door. What will you do in an online race with a much faster car? Tip: destroy the wing is the wrong answer.

This is F1, it's meant to be some of the best racing drivers in the world, not a random lobby on a game. :lol: Raikkonen should be able to go for a clean overtake without having to worry about the drivers he's racing with doing stupid moves like turning in on him.

But why wait for another opportunity to pass cleanly when you have one right infront of you? His move wasn't borderline at all, he easily got up the inside before the corner so again, why is it Kimi's fault that Ocon just turned across him and messed up what would have otherwise been a completely standard overtake?
We can argue if it was right or wrong until next week (please no! :P) but when I saw live footage it was clear Ocon was going to close that door, that crash was predictable.
This is F1, it's meant to be some of the best racing drivers in the world, not a random lobby on a game. :lol: Raikkonen should be able to go for a clean overtake without having to worry about the drivers he's racing with doing stupid moves like turning in on him.
This is how it SHOULD be but clearly ISN'T. :lol:
With some actual F1 drivers (one from Holland for instance) every race now seems a pubblic non sanctioned server with amateurish sore losers here and there on the grid. :crazy::yuck::P

Last edited:
Vettel made a big mistake after safety car but his pace was top, should have been an easy win without Max ruining is race again, this time indirectly.
inindirect Jos is responsible*. He should have used that Durex but then we have less to discuss on the internetz

* Not sure if Jos is responsible for 50/60/80%.

inindirect Jos is responsible*. He should have used that Durex but then we have less to discuss on the internetz

* Not sure if Jos is responsible for 50/60/80%.
That was a good one. :)
Well Jos wasn't slow but he wasn't famous for being a calm or a succesful driver, surely his son seems similar.. even worse at the moment. http://crashstappen.com

Was indeed almost causing a new yellow flag situation.

Now Lewis goes for a formal talk with Charlie about this:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-says-vettel-broke-safety-car-rules-in-baku-1032302/

Seems fair enough. Last year Vettel thought Lewis was break checking him (pretty serious thing to do) and Vettel not only hits Lewis but then drives into the side of him.
This year Vettel then seems to do something very similar to what he accused Lewis of doing...

Kind of rings like his post China comments about the SC. He had no issue when it worked out for him in Aus with the VSC... but soon as he's caught out or gets the wrong end of the deal, it needs looking at or is unfair...

Back