2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
I reckon that all this talk of overcoming their penalties curse is a tad premature considering that England's 1/2/3 next games could easily be decided by penalties too...

Losing the finals on penalties.

oooh-cat-gif.gif

Hello dudes!
If Brazil can makes it to the finals, then they'll probably be Champions. Friday's games are top notch, I can't wait to see what craziness Soares pulls on France.

24.6 million people in the UK watched the England game last night, that's a quite staggering number!

24.6 million people in the UK watched the England game last night, that's a quite staggering number!

It already comes in as the 11st most watched thing in UK television history with the 2012 Olympics closing ceremony in 10th.

I suspect the next match will break that record and maybe even others.

Frankly everyone should be ashamed of themselves, you were all meant to be watching Love Island! :lol:

That only counts people watching on TV at home, doesn't count all the people watching in bars pubs and clubs.

The whole World Cup has been a ratings winner, Belgium v Japan on Sunday night got 12.4 million...

The timing of the big games has been pretty good - 7 pm is perfect o'clock for a game of football, and 3 pm games make for good viewing at work the weekend - the England games have been particularly well scheduled - three evening games and one weekend afternoon game thus far, and their QF game is also a weekend afternoon game... heck, even the French GP didn't clash with the England v Panama game!

Most clubs have their players back for pre-season and they have friendlies this weekend, most clubs have now rearranged kick-off times so it doesn't clash with the England game.

Everyone except Liverpool that is, who still play Chester at exactly the same time as the England game!

Saw on the news about that couple that have their wedding right in the middle of the game, ouch!

Btw, I just read the viewing figure (averaged) was 23.8 Million, not 24.6 Still huge and on a weekend even more people will be free to watch.

Last edited:
Saw on the news about that couple that have their wedding right in the middle of the game, ouch!

BTW, the viewing figure was 23.6 Million, not
My brother in law is at a wedding this weekend. The happy couple have decided to get a big TV in the reception venue so people can watch as the game is in between the wedding ceremony and the wedding breakfast.

My brother in law is at a wedding this weekend. The happy couple have decided to get a big TV in the reception venue so people can watch as the game is in between the wedding ceremony and the wedding breakfast.

The poor girl on the news has the meal right through the second half!

That only counts people watching on TV at home, doesn't count all the people watching in bars pubs and clubs.
Never underestimate audience measurement companies propension to find the most favorable way of counting and applying data correction. Their customers are the broadcasters who sell ads based on the audience...

If Brazil can makes it to the finals, then they'll probably be Champions. Friday's games are top notch, I can't wait to see what craziness Soares pulls on France.
Suarez already started by attacking Griezmann in a press conference yesterday.

Aren't you crossing fingers to see Brazil meet its WC nemesis in semi? :D

Anyway, i'm seeing Uruguay-France as a 50-50 win chance match, even without Cavani. I'm sure they know how to defend and render frustration among the France's forwards - the game itself could be very frustrating to watch.

Neymar has been on the floor for a total of 14 minutes so far....in just four games!

Would any footballer ever just come right out and say, "yeah if I (we) feel any contact or really even anticipate that there's going to be contact we have really milk it for all it's worth and try and sell it to the refs to try and get a penalty or a booking"? Or is that like a magician's code where they don't give away how the tricks are done? He would be ostracized out of the football brotherhood forever.

Because Neymar really is taking this to another level of dramatics. At the end of this tournament there should be a separate announcement, "And the FIFA Academy Award for Best Actor goes to Neymar". He gets a little statue of a footballer not standing vertical but horizontal on the ground with a grimace look on his face.

I'm nervous for tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to it - the game is on Friday night at 7 pm here in the UK which means it'll probably be watched in the pub :cheers:

I am just hoping it is as good a game as it should be between two teams with so much talent - Neymar in particular needs to man up and let his football do the talking, as he risks having his greatest triumph forever associated with his attempts at cheating, which he may well come to regret. I think that Brazil should edge it if both teams play to their normal standard, but Belgium showed an extra gear against Japan that Brazil might find hard to handle.

Will miss France-Uruguay tomorrow afternoon because of work be will watch the other three games as I have the weekend off. 👍

Of course, the last time England and Sweden played, England supporters applauded the final goal - even though it was a Sweden goal...

Fortunately for England, the guy who scored all 4 goals in that match ain't playing on Saturday!!

Of course, the last time England and Sweden played, England supporters applauded the final goal - even though it was a Sweden goal...

Fortunately for England, the guy who scored all 4 goals in that match ain't playing on Saturday!!

One of the many occasions were Hart excelled himself...

Shameful behaviour from Mbappe - it would serve him right if he gets sent off and missed the SF and Final...

Has there been any card given this tournament for neymarring? Apart from Mbappe just now.
No, and I don't think Mbappe got the card for simulation either, rather it was his reaction when he was back up on his feet that earned him a booking.

Ah. They need to work on that ASAP. Imagine a game where people like Ronaldo and Neymar stay on their feet like Messi does.

Madness.

Edit.

If Belgium does what it needs to do tonight, it will be an European party in the semis and final.

Did that ever happen?

Last edited:
Chadli and Fellaini in for Belgium, No Casemiro for Brazil as he is suspended for two yellows, Fernandinho comes in.

Back