2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
The VAR can communicate to the ref if a gross mistake is made. They have immediate access to replays and saw the dive before we did and also before the free kick was taken. It's a no brainer.
It's only for red cards/serious foul play, penalty decisions, offside decisions and infringements if a goal is scored, and mistaken identity. VAR cannot be used for free kicks.

If someone has a video of that, i'd be grateful, as i only saw it once

They showed it here on tv several times during the break. Griezman goes down before he is even touched.

This is where the VAR can be very useful. The video ref needs to scream into the field ref's ear that it's a neymar and should be a yellow card.

It's only for red cards/serious foul play, penalty decisions, offside decisions and infringements if a goal is scored, and mistaken identity. VAR cannot be used for free kicks.

IMO a simulation is a simulation. Shouldn't matter if its author wants to get a penalty, a free kick or an opponent sent off (by red card). It's a serious fail in the rules or how they're applied.

Honestly the finals are just showing what many people feared, VAR is a complete and utter failure.

The penalty was debatable but I'd say it was rightfully given, but, and that's the problem with VAR is that it is just so effing inconsistent. Sometimes VAR will completely omit themselves in blatantly obvious situations, but I'll interfere and change the ref's decisions at will or whenever the players run in droves complaining to the refs. It's happened throughout the world cup and I hope FIFA recognizes the mistake, unless it's deliberate, corruption and all that.

Either put VAR as a superior instance to the ref and have them quickly check every call(specially those near the last thirds of the field) during the game non-stop or drop it altogether. There's an old adage that dictates that if you have two leaders you actually have none, this is pretty much the case here.

Handballs always have had a grey area. They should make the definition more concrete. Unintential handballs should not be punished with a penalty in the modern fastpaced game.
Tbh I'd say that was a penalty. There's a movement towards the ball. It's a bit harsh because it looks instinctive rather than intentional but the ball has travelled 30 meters. He should have been more aware.

Brilliant from Pogba!!!!

So happy right now, because you know who he plays for! :D

IMO a simulation is a simulation. Shouldn't matter if its author wants to get a penalty, a free kick or an opponent sent off (by red card). It's a serious fail in the rules or how they're applied.
I agree. The rules currently don't cover it though. Presumably FIFA are (rightfully) worried about too many stoppages. Do we really want VAR getting involved for incidents that happen on the halfway line in case someone scores as a result. Currently VAR takes too long.

It's nice to see a World Cup final be a goalfest for once. I can't remember one having more than 2 goals in it in my life.

He becomes the first teenager to score in World Cup final since Pele back in 1958. 👍

Back