2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
I agree. The rules currently don't cover it though. Presumably FIFA are (rightfully) worried about too many stoppages. Do we really want VAR getting involved for incidents that happen on the halfway line in case someone scores as a result. Currently VAR takes too long.
Easy solution is to punish players after the game with suspension and/or fines.

Was just about to say that France are finally looking and playing like champions when Lloris did that!! :lol:

They have that option but it's only used for the extremely blatent dives. Also it doesn't alter the fact that France scored.

True but if the punishment is sufficiently harsh, a player will think twice before using it his next game. As for game deciding dives in a penaltbox should be redcarded immediately. That will prevent players from trying to do so in future games.

I don't think there's any retroactive punishment harsh enough to stop players diving when a WC is on the line. It'd work for earlier rounds though.
Edit.
Sorry I missed the bit about the red cards. The two pronged approach would likely eradicate diving.

Congrats to France. Deserved winners as they were the best team in the tournament, even if two of the goals in the final were dodgy at best.

Croatia deserve their best ever finish too. What an awesome final to an awesome World Cup. Well Done Russia!

Congratulations to France, best team of the tournament and they were in the harder part of the draw, well deserved.

Mad respect to Croatia too, my team of the tournament. 👍

Great final, fantastic tournament!

A great World Cup and a fittingly entertaining (if a somewhat controversial) final - but all things considered France are worthy champions... Mbappe is arguably the player of the tournament, but for me Croatia are the team of the tournament!

Oh, and Harry Kane wins the Golden Boot :lol:

Football trophies should be presented following a walk up some steps into the stand not on a platform on the pitch!

Great game! Congrats to Les Bleus for their second WC, hate to be that guy but I said before the Uruguay game that France was one of the best teams in this cup. Just like today, they usually do not play an exciting brand of football but in modern times it's essential that you defend with eleven men.

Mad respect to the Croatian warriors who fought to the end, those extra 90 minutes sure did take their toll on the Croatians. Shame they did not have better luck today.

Football trophies should be presented following a walk up some steps into the stand not on a platform on the pitch!

They obviously don't have the facilities to allow the players to walk up some steps in the stadium to collect the trophy.

Croatia did well to get there, they huffed and and puffed and were a little unlucky in the first half but France's superior quality saw them off. I thought in the first half France looked nervious, like the occasion had got to them a bit, once they wen#t 3-1 up, aside from Lloris' howler, they looked far more confident and I think they have been the best team in the tournament.

Wrong thread, we're talking about football in here ;).

Back