2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
The fact that he had to go back and look at it again after he'd already left the screen proves that he wasn't sure. It wasn't clear. And if it's not clear, you can't give it.

Following the balls with eyes, conveniently opening the hand at the right time, keeping it steady* while deflecting the ball. At this point, we shouldn't care if a witness pretends that his arm is not connected to his brain.
He's not a bad guy, he doesn't want the ball to pass at any cost and just made a bad 300 ms decision.

As for the referee hesitation, that's pure speculation after seeing him getting back to the monitor (he was likely been said in the earphone that he left the monitor before seing the forth-and-back slow motion sequence, since he clearly missed that part).

*: from an other angle, it even look more like a punch than a steady hand.

Dude, your country just won the World Cup and you are here arguing on a forum. Get out and celebrate!

With the tournament over, the Best XI is still to be announced, so who do you think was the best eleven players in the tournament?

F - Hazard
F - Lukaku
F - Mbappe
M - Kante
M - Pogba
M - Modric
D - Trippier
D - Hernandez
D - Varane
D - Maguire
G - Pickford

And this was ESPN's best XI before the World Cup started:
ultimatexi3_800x450.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:
With the tournament over, the Best XI is still to be announced, so who do you think was the best eleven players in the tournament?

Lukaku
Hazard
Mbappé

KDB
Modric
Kante

Hernandez
Vida
Varane
Trippier

Courtois

Pickford

Meunier -- Godin -- Varane -- Hernandez

de Bruyne -- N'Kante -- Modric -- Hazard

Griezmann -- Mandzukic​

"The FIFA World Cup Best XI will be playing four-four-🤬-two."

GK:
Courtois

DF:
Meunier
Varane
Trippier
Hernandez

MF:
De Bruyne
Kante
Modric

FW:
Mbappe
Kane
Hazard

SUBS: Pickford, Godin, Pogba, Lukaku, Perisic, Fellaini, Vida

This is my Top XI prediction.

Last edited:
It's not coming home... because it's home!
DiPJlLQX4AEG5Gx.jpg:large

On side notes:
- Kante was hill during the finale.
- The french minister of sport, standing at the left of Lioris on the above image, is married to a Croatian.
- a guy jumped into the canal in the town of Annecy on the final whistle yesterday. He died in happiness, neck broken.

The crowds awaits the bus (no, not the same parked in front of the goal)
7822614_22f40cd0-890c-11e8-b97a-bb33196b74d0-1_1000x625.jpg

Kante did look bad in the final. He could have won best player instead of Modric with a better performance yesterday. That's likely why.

I don't think so. For a simple reason: Modric is a builder. Kante is a destroyer. Both are great at what they do and absolutely essential in their teams. But if you'll award someone, you award the one who builds.

Modric was the player with more Km in the WC and the majority of those Km were ran with the boal on his feet. Kante was the opposite.

That's why the ballon d'or (with a couple exceptions) goes to attackers and goal scorers and not to defenders. And IMO it's a good thing.

I'm pleased that the Player Of The Tournament award didn't automatically go to a forward like every World Player Of The Year since 2007.

Forwards get disproportionate amounts of evaluative praise and regard.

64 games
169 goals
Only one 0-0
9 90min+ winners
73 set piece goals
29 penalties
12 own goals
2 hattricks
219 yellow cards
4 red cards

Thank you Russia.

I'm pleased that the Player Of The Tournament award didn't automatically go to a forward like every World Player Of The Year since 2007.

Forwards get disproportionate amounts of evaluative praise and regard.

I think forwards were not as effective as in previous WCs.

If you look at Giroud, Jesus, Mandzukic, Lukaku, etc, they didn't score that many goals (some not even 1) and were a lot more important as first defenders. Evento Kane, had 6 goals but 3 were pênaltis and another one was an unintentional rebound.

I think it's a sign that football is getting way to defensive and scoring goals is getting harder. If you look at the numbers, 80% of the goals were scored through free kicks, penalties and corners, which is a new thing.

Given those facts, creative midfielders assumed a very important role in this WC.

Last edited:
Edit, posted the team of the tournament by FIFA but it turns out its not real as there is no confirmation on their website.

Last edited:
- Lloris is disqualified for his sloppy play that gave Croatia their 2nd goal of the final.
- Neymar should only win best actor.
- Hernandez was better than Young.
- Coutinho was better than Paulinho.
- And Lovren? I would have taken Maguire or even Yerry Mina over him.

Its not real!

Sorry but it was on Twitter all day and it turns out its a ruse as there's no confirmation about it on FIFA's website.

Sorry again....

I'm surprised in the first place that a governing body of a team sport considers evaluating individuals besides team results.
It's been going on so long that it's the norm and I doubt many fans think the same way as you on that. I do though.

Back