2018 Formula 1 launchesFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 294 comments
Williams hides the good bits in the dark zone.
phpThumb.php

FW41SideJPEGBANNER.jpg

Last edited:
I hope we can get past the halo and get to the real dumb things. 3 engines ugh. Teams need less power in the writing the rule since anytime a team feels they have an advantage they are unwilling to give it up. Hopefully the racing will get better. For all who care that much about looks we could use some more indycar viewers. To me the halo is not that bad and if it saves a life or serious injury it is worth it. But but but, they say. These days all sports are working to make things safer there is to much money involved to not. Then there is always the sanctity of human life which seems to go out the door for some as long as the car is sexy. Not sure what some are doing in the privacy of their own homes but I would rather not lose another racer if possible and have a slightly goofy looking car.

Man, the new Williams looks gorgeous.
The biggest issue the previous car had was its aero was awful. This is a substantial improvement, and if the drivers can keep the cars on track, Williams could well make something of a comeback.
Either that or this is an intermediary step.

This shot is very revealing, even with the hidden details. It shows a lot of Paddy Lowe's involvement, stealing both the "Super Ted Cape" under the nose, and upper monocoque wings which join the huge sidepod turning vane piece (which starts under the "SMP Racing" logo).

The sidepods themselves take a lot of inspiration from Ferrari as others have previously noted.

Think it should be stated how painfully copied the SF70 was by Haas with the VF-18...which means they're not one the outs potentially as some think they are with Ferrari. It's as if this is the old STR and RBR deals of the late 00s, where STR would run a year old RBR chassis.
image.jpg

Wouldn’t most cars look quite similar when compared though?

The side pods of the Haas are definitely much more curvy and bulge out more compared to the Ferrari.

Think it should be stated how painfully copied the SF70 was by Haas with the VF-18...which means they're not one the outs potentially as some think they are with Ferrari. It's as if this is the old STR and RBR deals of the late 00s, where STR would run a year old RBR chassis.
Teams very often look at images of other cars and copy any aerodynamics that perform better than the ones they currently run. We're pretty much guaranteed every team turning up with the same cooling as Ferrari had in 2017 because it was the best solution.

Teams very often look at images of other cars and copy any aerodynamics that perform better than the ones they currently run. We're pretty much guaranteed every team turning up with the same cooling as Ferrari had in 2017 because it was the best solution.

Yes I'm well aware, and I'm sure you're well aware that I'm well aware. But same front wing, turning vanes, barge boards, vortext generators on rear floor, and rear suspension set up...is far beyond "side pods". Also same cooling extends beyond just side pods for Haas. So as I said prior, a team that uses Ferrari wind tunnels, uses Ferrari engines, now seems to use even more nearly exact same design elements as a year old car from Ferrari.

Bit strange in that much similarity even under technical alliances.

Williams FW41 Vs Ferrari SF70H Vs Haas VF-18

ib9w4yc66lg01.png

Couple things I noticed right away is how much narrower the Williams is towards the back while the Hass has the widest rear end. Also looks like the sidepods for both the Williams and the Haas are either shorter or pushed farther back in comparison to the Ferrari. The frontal part of the Williams undercarrige in front of the driver has a more curved look to it while the Hass and Ferrari are basically two straight lines.

Also, what's going on with the little "fins" on the undercarrige towards the rear tire? Is that a spec part, or another thing copied from the Ferrari?

FW41SideJPEGBANNER.jpg

I know the "blackout" method of hiding aero parts was bad enough last year, but crikey that's well OTT.

All it does is make the car look oddly proportioned.

Williams FW41 Vs Ferrari SF70H Vs Haas VF-18

ib9w4yc66lg01.png

Couple things I noticed right away is how much narrower the Williams is towards the back while the Hass has the widest rear end. Also looks like the sidepods for both the Williams and the Haas are either shorter or pushed farther back in comparison to the Ferrari. The frontal part of the Williams undercarrige in front of the driver has a more curved look to it while the Hass and Ferrari are basically two straight lines.

Also, what's going on with the little "fins" on the undercarrige towards the rear tire? Is that a spec part, or another thing copied from the Ferrari?
Not seeing the side pod thing with placement, and even then it's hard to tell since the track of the car could be longer or shorter between them, we don't know yet. The "undercarriage" part you're talking about I assume is the barge board and turning vanes, which from the above view don't give enough credit to the complexity of them, in general the haas and ferrari share the exact same shape though.

The "undercarriage" part you're talking about I assume is the barge board and turning vanes, which from the above view don't give enough credit to the complexity of them, in general the haas and ferrari share the exact same shape though.

Yes, that's it. Couldn't think of the proper name.

Yes, that's it. Couldn't think of the proper name.

Also I forgot to mention, Williams has such a narrow rear cause for some time now they've been running their own tightly packaged transmission. Which is derived from the 2011 Micro gearbox... Which is why these older cars like this looked as such in the rear above the diffuser.

Bruno_Senna_2012_Malaysia_FP2.jpg

adb
Wouldn't be surprised to see Ferrari sidepods being perfected by Newey, similar to sidepod deflectors last year.
I can hardly wait to see if that's true. Is so, it'd be a high compliment to Ferrari from a designer who's too proud to join them.

I suspect it has very little to do with being too proud, and probably more to do with Ferrari (while desireable) seems like the worst high profile team to join when it comes to hirings/firings, ravings from the higher-ups and general chaos. I bet there are a lot of talented folks in F1 in various roles who would hesitate to go to Ferrari based solely on their working environment.

Agree, don't think it's pride. Having read his book I didn't get that impression. He never liked the way Ferrari operated, and there were other opportunities that offered him more freedom initially, then came Red Bull, as long as Horner and Marko are in charge I don't think Newey would go for other team, but it's not about pride.

Back