2018 Formula 1 launchesFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 294 comments
Think it should be stated how painfully copied the SF70 was by Haas with the VF-18...which means they're not one the outs potentially as some think they are with Ferrari. It's as if this is the old STR and RBR deals of the late 00s, where STR would run a year old RBR chassis.
image.jpg

Totally different engine cover, rear wing placement , sidepods and front suspension. The only bits that look the same are in the floortray Formula box, surely?

Totally different engine cover, rear wing placement , sidepods and front suspension. The only bits that look the same are in the floortray Formula box, surely?

Where is the totally different sidepods and front suspension. As @Jimlaad43 pointed out and I agreed to a degree with, Ferrari's solution is why the side pods look the same in both photos. The front wing is the same, nose is the same, the barge boards and bridging to the tray is the same, the rear section and placement of the wing is different due to the elimination of the monkey seat, shark fin and t-wing, due to 2018 regs the vertical stands are mounted different. However, the rear wing shape and upper elements look similar.

The engine cover looks for the most part the same, other than louvers on the Haas for additional cooling. The vortex generators on the bulkhead and cockpit are different and the mirrors. The other thing is the Ferrari had an S-duct, while the Haas at this point doesn't.

If I saw the Haas in Ferrari livery, I'd think it was the 2017 spec, with slight aero tweaks for whatever GP they were preparing for, while fitted with a HALO.

Looks like someone took a key and just went to town on the RedBull and the RedBull Bull logos.

Are you guys aware of the YouTube videos this one guy does where he takes these images and grossly changes the brightness and contrast to give a more revealing look at everything? It's really nice to have since the teams still use this "reveal" to hide the important bits

Are you guys aware of the YouTube videos this one guy does where he takes these images and grossly changes the brightness and contrast to give a more revealing look at everything? It's really nice to have since the teams still use this "reveal" to hide the important bits

I've seen stuff like that in the past, but I'm not sure it'll be that useful at the moment as these 'launch' spec cars tend to differ a fair amount from the cars they actually run during the tests.

I think I might know who you mean but there could be others that do it as well.

Are you talking about aarava?

Scarbes is the go-to for me, he and Peter Windsor have a YouTube channel and post pretty good analysis on motorsportstv(?)

But I thought aarava was just an f1 game YouTuber!

The Halo looks absolutely disturbing on every F1 car (although the Haas livery hides it best).

The strange thing is, on the new Formula E (which have more in common with a LM prototype though) it actually looks ok. But on the current generation of F1 cars it looks completely off shape (actually even the RB shield did)...

The Halo looks absolutely disturbing on every F1 car (although the Haas livery hides it best).

The strange thing is, on the new Formula E (which have more in common with a LM prototype though) it actually looks ok. But on the current generation of F1 cars it looks completely off shape (actually even the RB shield did)...

Think it's more to do with the fact that they just slapped Halo on existing F1 cars, while FE is a completely new design so it doesn't seem as unnatural as F1. When they introduce 2021 cars few people will say that Halo looks off (if it's still there by then)

Regardless of halo, I much prefer the F1 cars to the new FE spec.

I think the current proportions help ease the effect halo has on the eyes. Imagine the halo on F1 cars two years ago. Yikes.

As far as I'm concerned, they could paint that RB14 however they like.
I'm just hoping it's in with a chance against the Merc & Ferrari.

At least 6 cars fighting for wins will make the 2018 season more interesting than what we've had to endure recently.

So I'm working on the reveal article now, but came across this very interesting reveal on F1.com:

Uh... :lol:

And they've fixed it.
I remember I once got Lance Armstrong and Neil Armstrong mixed up on this very site and was highly embarrassed about it. Glad I'm not the only one who is confused by the name Armstrong :lol:

upload_2018-2-20_12-30-2.png

Last edited:
Back