2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Organ-Donor
  • 1,545 comments
20171206_133534.jpg

My 4-day wristband for Daytona arrived way earlier than I expected.

Come on January!

Last edited:
Surprised MSR is keeping Legge. She had a really rough season last year (and probably why she's been resigned to just four endurance races with a few additional races as optional). I think she's been the least competitive MSR driver in those cars as well - sadly. She's such a nice person, I was hoping she'd find her way.

Interesting to see HART bring another NSX. I'm shocked Gentilozzi is still running a team, but good for Hansson.

To be frank the only time I've seen the 93 car perform poorly was when it was near the Carmageddon 3GT Racing Lexuses.

Unfortunately there were a number of races she was driving and near a Lexus. Ergo poor result. VIR comes to mind instantly.

Yeah, she had a really weird like 5-6 race streak last year where she had contact with other cars...some were very minor, some were bigger incidents (and the 3GT cars caused one or two indeed).

Starting to wonder about PWC. If the Continental Series could get back in order, and take away from GTS it along with what is happening to the GT class, Cadillac leaving to IMSA full time, other PWC GT teams leaving as well... Perhaps it could kill off PWC, not that I'm saying it should but could happen and USAC might be concerned.

Starting to wonder about PWC.

I think the SRO's increasing involvement is doing more harm than good. I think what helped PWC grow in the last few years has been that it was based on a simple formula, that being 50 minute races with no pit stops (not to mention much cheaper). Now that they are pushing Sprint-X I think they are having a difficult time finding teams and drivers wanting to spend considerably more money for pretty much the same amount of racing.

If the Continental Series could get back in order, and take away from GTS it along with what is happening to the GT class, Cadillac leaving to IMSA full time, other PWC GT teams leaving as well... Perhaps it could kill off PWC, not that I'm saying it should but could happen and USAC might be concerned.

As much as the GT class seems to be on shaky ground, I don't think the lower classes will be hurting as much unless they also adopt the Sprint-X format.

I try on occasion to watch PWC races during the season, but I just can't get as interested in them as I do the IMSA series (including continental). I love the fact that Conti doesn't do 30-50 minute races but full on 2+ hour races with pit stops, driver swaps etc. It feels a much better fit to get drivers prepared for proper sports car and endurance racing.

I'm not complaining about having PWC around, but given the choice, I'll take the IMSA products all day (also enjoy watching drivers go from Conti up through the IMSA ranks etc.). If the US can continue to support both series - good, but as a driver or team owner I think the place you want to be is definitely IMSA.

As much as the GT class seems to be on shaky ground, I don't think the lower classes will be hurting as much unless they also adopt the Sprint-X format.

That's my point with this line:

"If the Continental Series could get back in order, and take away from GTS..."

GTS is quite healthy as to where the equivalent in the Conti Series is far from it. If the roles in that alone reversed, PWC would be on death's door.

Last edited:
I think the SRO's increasing involvement is doing more harm than good. I think what helped PWC grow in the last few years has been that it was based on a simple formula, that being 50 minute races with no pit stops (not to mention much cheaper). Now that they are pushing Sprint-X I think they are having a difficult time finding teams and drivers wanting to spend considerably more money for pretty much the same amount of racing.

I agree on that front. The involvement of the SRO,IMO, is somehow trying to have a USA-style Blancipian Endurance and Sprint series, and by the looks of people exiting the series, it doesn't seem like the ideals are working that well.

I agree on that front. The involvement of the SRO,IMO, is somehow trying to have a USA-style Blancipian Endurance and Sprint series, and by the looks of people exiting the series, it doesn't seem like the ideals are working that well.

I wouldn't expect a group like USAC to really understand how to do their own GT series, without trying to emulate Europe at some point.

Yep. I think he even raced with his dad for a little while, though perhaps I have the names mixed up.
I just remember him being real young. Maybe 13yo. Might be an old Youtube video out there.

Edit; Got it. :lol: mad young

Last edited:
I feel the BP23 would bet a better car to try that with, but we'll see when they decide to go into LM again as they've been saying they would.

Didn’t they say they had to be competitive in F1 again before they returned to factory sports car racing? Or was that just in regards to a DPi team?

Didn’t they say they had to be competitive in F1 again before they returned to factory sports car racing? Or was that just in regards to a DPi team?

Don't recall, Zak Brown seems more keen to do things just to recapture the original McLaren brand image of the 90s than Ron Dennis who seemed to only care about F1.

Back