2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Organ-Donor
  • 1,545 comments
Habul doing rally cross out there in the Merc, why is this not surprising

Edit: And the Ford's still have insane fuel mileage...

Last edited:
Thanks to a Facebook drawing, I won tickets to the race which IMSA upgraded to pit passes! It was amazing!!! I'm still pinching myself that I was there, but I have the sun burn to prove it.. :lol:

This was my first sports car race in person, and I loved it. The access to the cars and drivers is just unreal. When I got in line to pick up our passes, I looked up and there's Chip Ganassi standing with some people getting signed in! Wow!!!!! :bowdown: I didn't say anything cause I didn't want to be the blubbering fool, and it's not even that I'm a huge fan of him, but he's such a big player in motorsport. Respect!

I'll share some pictures once I sort them. I took around 400 lol - but not nearly that many are any good. I can't wait to watch the replay online and see if I can see myself leaning on the fence, mouth drooling in awe! 👍👍:cheers::cool:

I completely missed this event. Congratulations to the overall winner and class winners of the most recent race.

I've held that view for some time and it's only becoming more apparent that it needs to happen. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how great the BoP is, the guys running the global cars don't have the experience or money of AXR, ESM, Joest, Penske and WTR. It will be even worse if Ganassi makes a return after the GT program ends and no other manufacturer's leave.

Wouldn't it be easier (less challenging all around) if it were only DPi"s (DP)?
You may alienate other teams with P2's but that formula isn't working ATM.
Just drop the P2's already.

And raven214, I'm glad you had a good time at the race, hope more are in your future.
I'm looking forward to Lime Rock in about 3 weeks for the PWC, then WGI for IMSA at the beginning of July, back to Lime Rock at the end of July for IMSA and again to WGI for PWC around Labor Day. Woohoo!

I don’t know how it could be accomplished, but I’d rather see them get the P2 cars and DPis to work together better - with the hope being that then there’s better chance of seeing the DPis at Le Mans in the P2 category.

I don’t know how it could be accomplished, but I’d rather see them get the P2 cars and DPis to work together better - with the hope being that then there’s better chance of seeing the DPis at Le Mans in the P2 category.

That would actually require the ACO/FIA agreeing to that. I don't think it's possible to have a global spec, while DPi gets to basically be the manufactures ideal of P2.

That would actually require the ACO/FIA agreeing to that. I don't think it's possible to have a global spec, while DPi gets to basically be the manufactures ideal of P2.

What is the main difference between P2 and DPi? Isn't it basically the engine? The cosmetic changes for "brand identification" don't seem like that big a deal to me, as far as changing over to P2 spec for a team wanting to go to Le Mans. The engine, of course, would be a big deal from either angle: the team having to swap it out, or getting the specs rewritten to include it.

What is the main difference between P2 and DPi? Isn't it basically the engine? The cosmetic changes for "brand identification" don't seem like that big a deal to me, as far as changing over to P2 spec for a team wanting to go to Le Mans. The engine, of course, would be a big deal from either angle: the team having to swap it out, or getting the specs rewritten to include it.

No, DPi requires the manufacture to build the aero, and the engine and have some likeness to the road going vehicles, while choosing a global chassis. P2 has a set chassis, aero and engine and is basically spec (suppose to be) as to where DPi isn't. It is more than just brand identification tech wise, but promoting wise it is important. That seems to be the break down, FIA/ACO want a universal spec and at least see DPi adhere to it. While IMSA for obvious reasons don't want to give that up for a single race.

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that - thanks, Pruett. I know IMSA doesn't want to (or can't) modify the P2 away from its LeMans settings/builds, but the gap is ridiculous and while we have more prototypes than ever in the field at the moment - that won't last when people see that a widely available P2 build simply isn't competitive, why would anyone waste money in series when you have zero chance of competing?

However, I get the other DPi issue as well, being reigned in to match the P2 isn't the answer either. Heck most of the DPis have a hard time hanging out together as well. I don't know what happened to Cadillac and Nissan this past race. Have they been that BOP'ed since Long Beach, etc?

Overall I was really happy to see Mid-Ohio back on the schedule and I thought the race was good, shocked it went green the whole time. The ending in a few classes was damn close (sad to see that lapped car kill the GTLM finish though).

On the issue of going green the whole time; is this a sign of what happens when drivers realize there is 3-4 meters of grass and then a wall? Or do you think this was just a fluke on a track with a minimal number of passing spots? Did drivers simply reign in the nonsense because of the presence of the wall with little to no run-off?

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that - thanks, Pruett. I know IMSA doesn't want to (or can't) modify the P2 away from its LeMans settings/builds, but the gap is ridiculous and while we have more prototypes than ever in the field at the moment - that won't last when people see that a widely available P2 build simply isn't competitive, why would anyone waste money in series when you have zero chance of competing?

To be honest P2 seems to be kept around because of the merge, and because it gives more cars to the field. However, I don't think the introduction of DPi ever had P2 cars being on level with them and IMSA would have you believe this, but clearly enjoys the manufacture side of it all. Thus it will probably always be skewed unless someone gives them reason to actually fix it.

However, I get the other DPi issue as well, being reigned in to match the P2 isn't the answer either. Heck most of the DPis have a hard time hanging out together as well. I don't know what happened to Cadillac and Nissan this past race. Have they been that BOP'ed since Long Beach, etc?

Yes, though Acura has always been strong and Mazda showed strength in Sebring before having issues. Both teams either get in their own way and cause issues that stop them from doing good, or in the case of Acura have first year teething gremlins.

Though out of respect for Joest, this is their first year too. So that should probably apply to them as well. It did in Daytona for sure.

Finally have my pics sorted and hoping to share. Warning: lots of images (obviously :D)
IMG_4234 Jordan Taylor.jpg

Ricky Taylor
IMG_4241 Wayne Taylor.jpg

Wayne Taylor
IMG_4243 Red Dragon.jpg

Red Dragon
IMG_4251 Ricky Taylor.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4314 Will Turner.jpg

Will Turner and the Turner Girls
IMG_4316 Katherine Legge - Andy Lally.jpg

Katherine Legge and Andy Lally chatting
IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4319 Bananna Boat.jpg

Bananna Boat

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4612 Michael Shank.jpg

Michael Shank
IMG_4613 Katherine Legge.jpg

GT Daytona Podium
IMG_4617 Jan Magnussen - Antonio Garcia.jpg

GT Le Mans Podium
IMG_4627.jpg

Prototype Podium

Attachments

• IMG_4639.jpg
    IMG_4639.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is Mazda still considering swapping out motors as they discussed a month or two ago?

Haven't seen any more on that topic to be honest with you, perhaps it is still under evaluation. Or the idea is on the shelf for now and to come for next season. I recall IMSA don't like mid-season changes like that so most likely 2019.

Kenny Habul has Bernd Schneider in the IMSA GTD #75 this weekend at Belle Isle this weekend. 👍

And while I'm here.

New graphics are impossible to read names on the left. Having another on the bottom as well is just wrong. And of course Green Flag graphic is on that bottom scroll, really obvious to the viewer, good job

Back