2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Organ-Donor
  • 1,545 comments
Double post, but sounds like Ford is very close to pulling the trigger on a DPi program.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ford-dpi-program-coming-into-focus/

I kind of figure they're going to do it. With them pulling out of the FIA hypercar working group I think that means they're going in the DPi direction. Ferrari also pulled out of those same talks and I'm not really sure which direction they might go. If they actually do anything more than GTE/GT3.

I kind of figure they're going to do it. With them pulling out of the FIA hypercar working group I think that means they're going in the DPi direction. Ferrari also pulled out of those same talks and I'm not really sure which direction they might go. If they actually do anything more than GTE/GT3.

I could see an Alfa Romeo DPi program using reworked Ferrari-based GT3 engines to be honest. Ford is going in with DPi though, and I have a feeling Chip Ganassi Racing is going to be the team leading them in.

Ferrari also pulled out of those same talks and I'm not really sure which direction they might go. If they actually do anything more than GTE/GT3.

I wasn't really expecting Ferrari to join that class anyways considering they don't even seem interested in running a full factory GTE program (IIRC AF Corsa gets some support but isn't a full factory effort). It's sad to see Risi sitting on the sidelines.

I could see an Alfa Romeo DPi program using reworked Ferrari-based GT3 engines to be honest.

It seems FCA has finally turned it around so hopefully they can afford a motorsports budget (and not leave after 3 years). Alfa would fit perfectly as well since using luxury marques for racing programs is a popular trend at the moment.

Did you guys camp there? I was in the carousel (orange PT Cruiser).

Also, couldn’t have asked for nicer weather all weekend. Although Thursday night got a tad chilly.

Edit: Did you happen to see the Camry mixed in with the
We didn't camp this year, we did in 16. That was fun, but staying in a hotel nearby actually isn't that much more expensive.
What a great race and great time we had. I'm glad the rain held off for the race too. Man, I can't wait to get back next year. I love going there, it's such a great track. And to be able to chat and take pics with some of our favorite drivers, just can't beat it.

It’s happeninggggg!

7F6C3246-0577-462E-8F80-91A27FBA6A60.jpeg

https://sportscar365.com/industry/exclusive-mid-engined-corvette-c8-r-breaks-cover/

Last edited:
Looks way more like some kind of McLaren than a Corvette. The New York Auto Show can't come soon enough.
To me, the rear looks like a mix of the NSX and the 488. Will definitely be interesting to see how accurate this render is.

AE8169F9-916D-4596-994F-F854BF338E0A.jpeg

I'm just gonna let my Corvette Racing fanboy side handle this: "WTF IS THIS?!?!?! This ain't no Corvette!!! It's like a Honda NSX {Redacted} a Mclaren!!
No way they're gonna build a ripoff like this a Corvette! *throws Corvette Racing shirt around the room*"

*ahem* Now that I got that out of me, some dingus who posted this to Road & Track says it's a turbo 6 under there. I have my doubts about this. GM already makes a 4-liter turbo V8, but that's a Cadillac engine, so now I got questions: If this is true, will Chevy ripoff a Cadillac engine? in direct contrast to GM's own engine practices, or is Chevy getting their own turbo V8 and will cadillac be moving theirs into the DPI?:confused::confused:
Also, it doesn't really look like a Vette, it looks like an NSX with Ferrari body panels grafted on

I'm just gonna let my Corvette Racing fanboy side handle this: "WTF IS THIS?!?!?! This ain't no Corvette!!! It's like a Honda NSX {Redacted} a Mclaren!!
No way they're gonna build a ripoff like this a Corvette! *throws Corvette Racing shirt around the room*"

*ahem* Now that I got that out of me, some dingus who posted this to Road & Track says it's a turbo 6 under there. I have my doubts about this. GM already makes a 4-liter turbo V8, but that's a Cadillac engine, so now I got questions: If this is true, will Chevy ripoff a Cadillac engine? in direct contrast to GM's own engine practices, or is Chevy getting their own turbo V8 and will cadillac be moving theirs into the DPI?:confused::confused:
Also, it doesn't really look like a Vette, it looks like an NSX with Ferrari body panels grafted on

Looks like someone has been talking to baby boomer grandpa "back in my day Corvettes used to mean something..."

As for looking like a Vette I had no idea there was an injection mold for the vette. I was of the thought that car has looked different various times with simply keeping one simple characteristic. That being a coupe wedge shape.

The other traits is a V8 and being affordable compared to the market. Seems to be the case from reports and rumors.

As for the engine. The Cadi engine is a GM ENGINE. Cadillac hasn't built their own brand engine only used by them for decades hell, the lt is in the cts and that was in a Chevy then put in the Cadi. So other than people losing their proverbial crap over it being a mid engine behind the driver and the lesser issue of dohc, what is the proble? I dont see the issue with trying something that gives possibly more performace to a legendary nameplate.

We didn't camp this year, we did in 16. That was fun, but staying in a hotel nearby actually isn't that much more expensive.
What a great race and great time we had. I'm glad the rain held off for the race too. Man, I can't wait to get back next year. I love going there, it's such a great track. And to be able to chat and take pics with some of our favorite drivers, just can't beat it.

I've thought about going the hotel route, but I just like the atmosphere that camping provides. Next year I will be able to stay for the whole weekend so I'm certainly looking forward to it.

I'm sure in typical Corvette fashion I'll hate it at first but grow to love it in just a few months. :lol:

We chatted with the JDM team a while, they're from Savage, right down the road. We're going to tour the facilities next month. The banana is going away, but those new Caddies look super sleek.

Did you guys see this photo finish from the race, damn!

Anybody see the new IMSA class changes for next year? They got rid of ST category for the Sports car championship. I knew they were going to but it still sucks as I really liked that class over the years.

TCR class is nice but I really don't agree with Touring cars running endurance races. I would be more happy to see them if IMSA ran the touring car class like they run the BTCC. 1 Driver per car, front OR rear wheel drive and SPRINT races. Personally I think that would make for more exciting races and maybe even more manufactures.

Anybody see the new IMSA class changes for next year? They got rid of ST category for the Sports car championship. I knew they were going to but it still sucks as I really liked that class over the years.

TCR class is nice but I really don't agree with Touring cars running endurance races. I would be more happy to see them if IMSA ran the touring car class like they run the BTCC. 1 Driver per car, front OR rear wheel drive and SPRINT races. Personally I think that would make for more exciting races and maybe even more manufactures.

That TCR race at Lime Rock was a thriller. I thought Hindaugh was going to lose his mind. That poor tv director though. There were last few lap battles all over the place. It was hard to figure out which one to show.

TCR wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs VW. But no matter how good it is, it will never be as great as ST was. The only reason ST isn't still fantastic is because it's being shoved aside for no particular reason. What am I saying? ST still is fantastic.

... I also probably wouldn't be so negative about TCR if they weren't killing off ST and replacing it with cookie-cutter front-wheel-drive cars. :)

It's sad to see ST go, but it was pretty much turning into a spec-Mini class anyways. TCR is fine in my eyes and I think it will grow with time as long as IMSA manages it correctly.

TCR wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs VW. But no matter how good it is, it will never be as great as ST was. The only reason ST isn't still fantastic is because it's being shoved aside for no particular reason. What am I saying? ST still is fantastic.

... I also probably wouldn't be so negative about TCR if they weren't killing off ST and replacing it with cookie-cutter front-wheel-drive cars. :)
Agreed. Though I am not a fan of the TCR cars as I prefer touring cars that look as close to production as possible. This super widebody stuff is meh.

Did you guys see this photo finish from the race, damn!

Yes. Yes we did.

:P

TCR wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs Audi vs VW.

Since we'll have a full year of racing, I don't think next year will be Audi/Audi/Audi/Audi/VW (which I'm fairly certain is the same car anyway). Teams on the outside looking in will know what to expect for next season. I would be more worried if we only get VAG cars next season.
I do foresee one tiny problem. Outside of the Honda and Hyundai, none of the other TCR cars are based on models sold in the US. I don't count Ford of Subaru yet because they're not serious manufacturer efforts. There is a team in PWC that races an Alfa or two, but my understanding is that Alfa had to grant permission to let them do so. But Alfa at least sell cars in the US. Seat (now CUPRA), Peugeot, etc., do not. And I would think we would've heard something by now if either Ford or GM were looking into some kind of TCR effort by now. I hope this doesn't lead to a lack a variety on the grid in the future.

Last edited:
Since we'll have a full year of racing, I don't think next year will be Audi/Audi/Audi/Audi/VW (which I'm fairly certain is the same car anyway). Teams on the outside looking in will know what to expect for next season. I would be more worried if we only get VAG cars next season.
I do foresee one tiny problem. Outside of the Honda and Hyundai, none of the other TCR cars are based on models sold in the US. I don't count Ford of Subaru yet because they're not serious manufacturer efforts. There is a team in PWC that races an Alfa or two, but my understanding is that Alfa had to grant permission to let them do so. But Alfa at least sell cars in the US. Seat (now CUPRA), Peugeot, etc., do not. And I would think we would've heard something by now if either Ford or GM were looking into some kind of TCR effort by now. I hope this doesn't lead to a lack a variety on the grid in the future.

Agreed. The problem with current touring car is that there is no manufactures that run that class that have cars here in the US except a couple(Audi and VW). The issue I see with the TCR format is you are restricted to FWD only which is silly. That is why I like BTCC approach where you get to choose FWD or RWD, if your production car is AWD that is, other than that you use the normal drivetrain layout that is on the production model. In my opinion, touring car racing has to have BMW in there, LOL.

What I think would be great is if the SuperTouring era of touring cars had a chance to come back to life. But without a global platform these days supporting it, there seems to be little chance of success for that to happen. That is why I like BTCC so much more than anything else, they are still set up kind of like the SuperTouring days.

My main point still stands though, Touring car racing should not be set up like endurance racing. TO me that takes the point and fun out of it. Touring cars in my eyes are supposed to be made for sprint races.

Agreed. The problem with current touring car is that there is no manufactures that run that class that have cars here in the US except a couple(Audi and VW). The issue I see with the TCR format is you are restricted to FWD only which is silly. That is why I like BTCC approach where you get to choose FWD or RWD, if your production car is AWD that is, other than that you use the normal drivetrain layout that is on the production model. In my opinion, touring car racing has to have BMW in there, LOL.

What I think would be great is if the SuperTouring era of touring cars had a chance to come back to life. But without a global platform these days supporting it, there seems to be little chance of success for that to happen. That is why I like BTCC so much more than anything else, they are still set up kind of like the SuperTouring days.

My main point still stands though, Touring car racing should not be set up like endurance racing. TO me that takes the point and fun out of it. Touring cars in my eyes are supposed to be made for sprint races.

This is probably not the place to discuss why TCR doesn't allow RWD cars yet (that's a TCR thing, not an IMSA thing), I do agree with most of what you said and want to see it happen. There is a really nice, cost effective BMW M235i Cup car I'm sure IMSA could work into the category that would be cool, but I bet that would open up a rabbit hole or two we don't need to go down.

As for the endurance part of it. I see your point, but whether by design or accident, TCR cars are built well enough to run 24 hour races without missing a beat, which has been proven quite a bit over the last few years. I'm not entirely sure if this was the intent when creating TCR, but the cars are surprisingly good entry level endurance cars. So I don't think it's a bad move for IMSA to adopt the category.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Hyundai and Honda might take a second look at IMSA since it's TCR only now in the Michelin Tire Series? It certainly would spice up that division plus the US sales factor.

Back