2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Organ-Donor
  • 1,545 comments
I’m on top of the Mazda Booth and am just seeing slow race cars with a broken one every few minutes go by without knowing why. Lol. At least they are back racing for now.

There's always at least one race a year that winds up being a mess. Looks like we're getting it today, because we've had a pretty good year so far. (better now than Petit, I'd say...)

Nice "Crank it Up" FOX Sports 1 had with the Corvette, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz earlier. Man... that BMW and that Mercedes-Benz sound sweet! The Benz kind of sounds like it's mad at the world and will devour anything in sight. It even sounds mean in Assetto Corsa.

IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2948.JPG

Nice "Crank it Up" FOX Sports 1 had with the Corvette, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz earlier. Man... that BMW and that Mercedes-Benz sound sweet! The Benz kind of sounds like it's mad at the world and will devour anything in sight. It even sounds mean in Assetto Corsa.

Unfortunately the BMW only sounds that good on the onboards. Not that it sounds "bad," but it's basically silent on the outside, you almost can't even hear it drive past 50 feet in front of you with no other cars nearby.

Was a great race once they got all the tomfoolery out of the way. Tough luck for Mazda, for the 373rd time it seems. I knew Parente had the best car at the end but to get 3 cars in 2 laps was amazing. All 3 classes are really close going into Petit, should be fantastic.

And yes, Bibendum is still terrifying. :)

Okay, super messy start, got way better as the race went on.

The Mazda Curse continues (that incident is on Tincknell, sadly). Happy for ESM/Nissan 22, which had a great view of the Ford leaping off the ground in front of it at the start. GT categories were fun to watch as always.

Good news: most of the championships go on to Petit. Bad news: Petit is way too far away :/

I've always been under the impression they do most of their commentary from a single studio with the exception of the bigger events.

Having said that, surely since they're used by official streams they have access to more streams than us normies?

The Fox crew always broadcasts from the studios in Charlotte, NC. John Hindaugh and Jeremy Shaw for IMSA.tv however are at the track. When NBC takes over next year it will be interesting to see if they come to the tracks or handle everything from Connecticut.

Okay, super messy start, got way better as the race went on.

The Mazda Curse continues (that incident is on Tincknell, sadly). Happy for ESM/Nissan 22, which had a great view of the Ford leaping off the ground in front of it at the start. GT categories were fun to watch as always.

Good news: most of the championships go on to Petit. Bad news: Petit is way too far away :/

I haven't watched the replay of the race yet but it sounds like Petit being far away is a good thing because some cars need a whole lot of rebuilding before Road Atlanta.

Of course, I'm from Houston, so I'm pleased to learn of Houston-based Risi Competizione joining the Petit Le Mans lineup for 2018. I've been so far out of most motorsports loops, so I was unaware of Risi being out of racing. Always great to welcome back some old friends.

With the recent passing away of Don Panoz, this year's Petit Le Mans may be a good bit emotional. The race itself should still be as interesting as almost any other. I kind of can't believe this will be what... the 20th Anniversary of the Petit Le Mans (off the top of my head, so set me straight if I'm wrong). I still will try to catch as much as this upcoming race as I can. I probably will have to rely mostly on Radio Le Mans and social media since FOX Sports 1/2 probably won't cover this race as vibrantly as Speedvision and Speed Channel have done. Of course, FS1 used to be Speed Channel.

Risi's been having a pretty rough time the last couple years. They keep trying to come back at least for big events, but I'm not sure they are capable of a sustained effort anymore. They've had some terrible luck with cars getting smashed up if not completely written off so that can't be helping either. They are usually pretty competitive when they do race, but something always seems to go wrong. Hopefully not this time!

Wasn't sure where to put this but I guess here is fine considering he's an Imsa driver.

Long range weather forecast for Petit LeMans shows 40-60% chance for thunderstorms :( But at least it's supposed to be warm with highs in the upper 70's to low 80's. But still, sitting out at the track for 12 hours in even on again and off again rain isn't something I'm looking forward to.

Ryan Briscoe hasn't set a hot lap at Bathurst, but on the simulator, he's said he's a couple seconds quicker than the GT3 cars. He's hit 300kph and mentioned it's the fastest the car has been.
It'll be a speed comparison, similar to the F1/Supercar/road car Australian GP event. Hopefully, they'll post video after the event.

Ryan Briscoe hasn't set a hot lap at Bathurst, but on the simulator, he's said he's a couple seconds quicker than the GT3 cars. He's hit 300kph and mentioned it's the fastest the car has been.
It'll be a speed comparison, similar to the F1/Supercar/road car Australian GP event. Hopefully, they'll post video after the event.

It took me a second to remember what exactly you were talking about. :lol:

My bet is it will be shown during pre-race for PLM as well as several inopportune times during the race itself.

Back