2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Organ-Donor
  • 1,545 comments
The BOP table is interesting, the Nissan has a boost advantage over the HPD despite the fact the Nissan is a larger engine by .3 L

The BOP table is interesting, the Nissan has a boost advantage over the HPD despite the fact the Nissan is a larger engine by .3 L

Sounds like Penske buffer. I expect nothing less of Penske to come in and open a big can of whoop-ass if they are on a level* field with everyone else. It's a brand new DPi built by a super team with incredible drivers, I'd start them theoretically behind as well and bump up as necessary too.

*BoP was done on one track that is mostly full throttle, I suspect teams to play cards differently for advantages on higher downforce tracks.

What needed fixing, other than you last year not liking it most of the year. The 5.5 is a better engine, and once again has been made solid and quick with its development in the Vette Program
IMSA made a mistake allowing a engine that big in to DPi in the first place. Basing the BOP on a high revving/low torque 4.2L V8 and then allowing GM to race a 6.2L V8 that in production stock trim produces 50 ft/lbs more torque than the Gibson was a huge mistake. Thankfully IMSA finally realized that and told them to came back with a smaller engine.

Now if they can do something with the exhaust on the DPi and make it sound like the Corvette I will be happy.

Never change, Jordan. Never change.

20180101_164905.png

IMSA made a mistake allowing a engine that big in to DPi in the first place. Basing the BOP on a high revving/low torque 4.2L V8 and then allowing GM to race a 6.2L V8 that in production stock trim produces 50 ft/lbs more torque than the Gibson was a huge mistake. Thankfully IMSA finally realized that and told them to came back with a smaller engine.

Now if they can do something with the exhaust on the DPi and make it sound like the Corvette I will be happy.

It was always going to produce more torque the 5.5 does too...that's the nature of that type of V8 compared to the Nissan/Gibson type. They compete just the same in other series as well without issue. Granted in those other series the engines are sized the same, but the way architecture is the same.

The 5.5 isn't going to solve any problems, but if you think it does as you've said already, then I guess if Cadi goes on to win and win again, we wont hear complaints from you?

Right. GTLM and GTD, because having GTE and GTD can be hard to hear the difference between.

Site says Prototypes are 600, GTLM are 525, and GTD are 500

Right. GTLM and GTD, because having GTE and GTD can be hard to hear the difference between.

Site says Prototypes are 600, GTLM are 525, and GTD are 500

Hard to hear the difference between? GTD only exist in the U.S. as a category, every where else it's GT3. And GTLM and GTE have some slight differences as well.

Hard to hear the difference between? GTD only exist in the U.S. as a category, every where else it's GT3. And GTLM and GTE have some slight differences as well.
That was one of the explanations I heard as to how they came up with the name for the category after the change up

Where was this in the article you linked?
Its not, I came to a conclusion based on the information in the article. Do you have a different conclusion to the reason for the change? I doubt GM decided to use a smaller engine out of the goodness of their heart.

The 5.5 isn't going to solve any problems, but if you think it does as you've said already, then I guess if Cadi goes on to win and win again, we wont hear complaints from you?
If Penske dominates with its VTEC power I will switch my hate accordingly.

Whatever the case, the statements regarding that the change was about engine size ignores the fact that Nissan were able to compete on par with Cadillac once they fixed their powerplant (ecu change before Road America) and their car. GM were the only manufacture going into 2017 that actually had given a dam about DPi, and their car was fully developed and ready to go. Its not surprisingly that they were handily beating a last minute thrown together effort (Nissan), and a small team way out of their comfort zone (Speed Source). Heck, the WEC P2's were competing with them well by Road Atlanta.

Joest and Penske are going to challenge the Cadillac's, and that's because they are serious professional grade A teams.
Its not, I came to a conclusion based on the information in the article. Do you have a different conclusion to the reason for the change? I doubt GM decided to use a smaller engine out of the goodness of their heart.

What the ****? :odd: :lol: Sure that makes a lot of sense. :lol:

Last edited:

What @RACECAR asked is really all I'd have to say to this.

Ask that same question to the Yankee haters lol. Sucks being a Yankee fan when everyone complains we win too much. Sorry?

That's different, any team that spends the GDP of a small nation to acquire the most expensive set of players and not win, deserves flak.

Did you forget how rubbish everyone not the 10 car and then not a cadillac was for half a season?

Actually, I do. The smaller engine is obviously going to be lighter, so that’s a major advantage over the 6.2. In addition, as mentioned in the article, the 5.5 will have a more balanced torque curve and power output, which should be much more beneficial for the duration of a lap, and not just out of corners or at high end. The whole IMSA BoP aid is just a side benefit for IMSA.

Actually, I do. The smaller engine is obviously going to be lighter, so that’s a major advantage over the 6.2. In addition, as mentioned in the article, the 5.5 will have a more balanced torque curve and power output, which should be much more beneficial for the duration of a lap, and not just out of corners or at high end. The whole IMSA BoP aid is just a side benefit for IMSA.

These are all things I said on the discord server me and @GTRacer22 participate on before reading the article, since they're quite obvious and were the same reasons (other than GTE rules) that Corvette Racing were happy to go to the 5.5. Another thing is cost efficiency, why build two endurance spec engines under the same manufacturing racing effort when you can just do one?

Ferrari (Risi and various Scuderia, etc.) continue to baffle me. They're always quite competitive, even at LeMans and yet they're the only teams seemingly underfunded, running one car, or fewer races, etc.

With LeMans being so competitive this year, would it kill Ferrari to throw a couple hundred grand and help someone field more than one car? For such a crazy competitive car (and the teams running them often have superb drivers) they just seem really...undersupported?

Back