Sports Cars 2018 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12HR - Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by R1600Turbo, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Northstar

Northstar Premium

That crash is hard to watch even knowing everyone walked away. :scared:

2. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

The Bathurst 12+hr

3. 05XR8

05XR8

Hope some cars restart if the race goes green.

4. Sentry87

Sentry87

Damnit, clock still running? Stop the clock!

5. Nismonath5

Nismonath5 Premium

All over, rover.

6. 05XR8

05XR8

Wow. Manthey could have stayed out...

7. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

Waiting for one of the WRT driver to repeat Jim Richards’ famous words on the podium.

8. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Damn. Not a fan of endurance races ending this way at all.

9. Jezza819

Jezza819

Turns out you were correct, race has been declared over.

10. AnthonyD1993

AnthonyD1993

I don't think race control had much of a choice but to call it with the amount of time that would be needed to clean the track.

11. GTFan24

GTFan24

****ing really?! YOU COULD HAVE JUST OH IDK STOPPED THE CLOCK!!!

12. Northstar

Northstar Premium

It would have taken quite awhile to clean the track and considering they are public roads they probably don’t have much wiggle room to extend the race.

13. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Then it's not a 12 HOUR race is it.

14. 05XR8

05XR8

I don't know the rules for time in the 12H. Race may have been time certain to reopen the track for residents.

Edit: the event

15. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Well that's disappointing. Was shaping up to be quite a finish with cars running out of fuel.

Also disappointed in how little coverage was given to the other classes this year. We used to get full rundowns on class leaders during the race, this year you hardly even knew they were there. I wonder how much longer this race will go with multiple classes before they make it GT3 only.

16. 05XR8

05XR8

Definitely anticlimactic.

Was a bit ordinary with coverage.
    I can see banning GT4(just have them run in AGT rounds) and MARC I cars. MARC II could run if set loose, but yeah, may as well make it like Spa.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  17. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

All this, we could have had a race similar to what was seen at IMSA with less wrecks by getting rid of a group of cars that sadly were to slow to move out of the way. Also wave around might have helped this race.

05XR8 likes this.
  18. ColinNZ

ColinNZ

They mentioned earlier in the broadcast that the race started as early as it did to fit it into a broadcast window in Australia. They couldn't stop the clock.

Pete05, 05XR8 and Northstar like this.
  19. Morgoth_666

Morgoth_666

Good stuff as always, too bad it had to end that way. Just hope everybody is okay after that last crash.

Pete05 likes this.
  20. Nexus

Nexus

Delete

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  21. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

The Audi was stationary for a good 8 to 10 seconds before the Mercedes plowed into it... from the Merc's onboard there's absolutely no yellow flags being waved before the impact. Glad everyone's got out safely, but I feel like that could have been far less dangerous had the marshalls been more alert.

Still, with Mostert channeling his inner SVG and taking him and the Bentley out, plus the race ending that way, I feel like we've been robbed of what could have been another awesome race.

At least Whincup didn't win.

22. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

Seemed like a strange atmosphere after the accident, reminded me of Mostert 2014 accident with police there and what not. I remember for his accident, police and a photographer had arrived and the car took some time to be cleared, same as today. Hopefully spectators are okay as lots of debris flew over the fencing, which I feel could be the reason for the police and photographer, as for Mosterts 2014 accident a Marshall has been injured.

23. Tak[TEC]

Tak[TEC]

I was also pretty surprised by the Merc not being notified of a crash in front of them, but it would be pretty difficult to know what's going on without flags out instantly

24. 05XR8

05XR8

As @Pete05 mentioned, I'm sure some of us heard the tire howl, while commentators were talking. We didn't get visual for a short while. Therefore, even without flags, teams couldn't alert their drivers in time, via the broadcast.

I noticed at times, the cameras were slow and missed following the cars they were tracking.

Anyway, Whincup didn't win. :)

March 1 can't come soon enough.

CLowndes888 likes this.
  25. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Something I was just wondering about. What happened to Erebus? They stop GT racing?

26. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

^ This :tup:

27. 05XR8

05XR8

I'll have to look that up.

28. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

Broken ribs and punctured lung are the suspected injuries for Ash Walsh. Poor bloke considering it was his first race back after receiving the same injuries. Although, he and his team mates did win their class, and Walsh was given his trophy at his hospital bed, so it’s not all doom and gloom for him.

Spacegoat likes this.
  29. flip55

flip55

Agreed. I say give a year or two before this event becomes all GT3. I want the event to be multi class, but the other classes weren't even talked about unless they were in a crash. May even be deemed a safety issue, given the size of some of the accidents we saw this year.

Just caught up with the race finish (thank you NISMO TV for covering an event your cars weren't in :D). Pretty crazy race. Definitely a disappointment to finish the race under red, but given the clean up required and the time remaining on the clock, the crew wasn't getting that mess cleared up in time. That's how endurance racing goes, sometimes. Hope all drivers involved in that, and all accidents throughout the day are okay. Seemed to be every time there was a crash, it was a big one.

30. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Really was. Was looking like it was going to be an epic finish with so many cars still in play.

Glad that all the drivers are (somewhat) okay, that was a awfully bad crash at the end.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Pete05 likes this.