2018 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12HR - Race DiscussionSports Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 219 comments
I don't think race control had much of a choice but to call it with the amount of time that would be needed to clean the track.

****ing really?! YOU COULD HAVE JUST OH IDK STOPPED THE CLOCK!!!

It would have taken quite awhile to clean the track and considering they are public roads they probably don’t have much wiggle room to extend the race.

Well that's disappointing. Was shaping up to be quite a finish with cars running out of fuel.

Also disappointed in how little coverage was given to the other classes this year. We used to get full rundowns on class leaders during the race, this year you hardly even knew they were there. I wonder how much longer this race will go with multiple classes before they make it GT3 only.

Well that's disappointing. Was shaping up to be quite a finish with cars running out of fuel.

Also disappointed in how little coverage was given to the other classes this year. We used to get full rundowns on class leaders during the race, this year you hardly even knew they were there. I wonder how much longer this race will go with multiple classes before they make it GT3 only.
Definitely anticlimactic.

Was a bit ordinary with coverage.
I can see banning GT4(just have them run in AGT rounds) and MARC I cars. MARC II could run if set loose, but yeah, may as well make it like Spa.

I can see banning GT4(just have them run in AGT rounds) and MARC I cars. MARC II could run if set loose, but yeah, may as well make it like Spa.

All this, we could have had a race similar to what was seen at IMSA with less wrecks by getting rid of a group of cars that sadly were to slow to move out of the way. Also wave around might have helped this race.

The Audi was stationary for a good 8 to 10 seconds before the Mercedes plowed into it... from the Merc's onboard there's absolutely no yellow flags being waved before the impact. Glad everyone's got out safely, but I feel like that could have been far less dangerous had the marshalls been more alert.

Still, with Mostert channeling his inner SVG and taking him and the Bentley out, plus the race ending that way, I feel like we've been robbed of what could have been another awesome race.

At least Whincup didn't win.

Seemed like a strange atmosphere after the accident, reminded me of Mostert 2014 accident with police there and what not. I remember for his accident, police and a photographer had arrived and the car took some time to be cleared, same as today. Hopefully spectators are okay as lots of debris flew over the fencing, which I feel could be the reason for the police and photographer, as for Mosterts 2014 accident a Marshall has been injured.

I was also pretty surprised by the Merc not being notified of a crash in front of them, but it would be pretty difficult to know what's going on without flags out instantly

As @Pete05 mentioned, I'm sure some of us heard the tire howl, while commentators were talking. We didn't get visual for a short while. Therefore, even without flags, teams couldn't alert their drivers in time, via the broadcast.

I noticed at times, the cameras were slow and missed following the cars they were tracking.

Anyway, Whincup didn't win. :)

March 1 can't come soon enough.

As @Pete05 mentioned, I'm sure some of us heard the tire howl, while commentators were talking. We didn't get visual for a short while. Therefore, even without flags, teams couldn't alert their drivers in time, via the broadcast.

I noticed at times, the cameras were slow and missed following the cars they were tracking.
^ This 👍

Broken ribs and punctured lung are the suspected injuries for Ash Walsh. Poor bloke considering it was his first race back after receiving the same injuries. Although, he and his team mates did win their class, and Walsh was given his trophy at his hospital bed, so it’s not all doom and gloom for him.

Agreed. I say give a year or two before this event becomes all GT3. I want the event to be multi class, but the other classes weren't even talked about unless they were in a crash. May even be deemed a safety issue, given the size of some of the accidents we saw this year.

Just caught up with the race finish (thank you NISMO TV for covering an event your cars weren't in :D). Pretty crazy race. Definitely a disappointment to finish the race under red, but given the clean up required and the time remaining on the clock, the crew wasn't getting that mess cleared up in time. That's how endurance racing goes, sometimes. Hope all drivers involved in that, and all accidents throughout the day are okay. Seemed to be every time there was a crash, it was a big one.

Really was. Was looking like it was going to be an epic finish with so many cars still in play.

Glad that all the drivers are (somewhat) okay, that was a awfully bad crash at the end.

Last edited:
Back