2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
"Army Captain killed in Fallujah....first female pilot....part of the 82nd Airborne."

I've never been in the military, but I'm pretty sure that's not even close to correct.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion time: NASCAR needs to chill out with the military hero worship. I'm all for teams breaking out patriotic specials or dedicating said liveries to individuals whom the team is connected to, having each team run the names of who are essentially random people on the cars and getting "paired up" with them is over the top and ridiculous. While I agree with the sentiment of it, IMO unless their chosen soldier or their family is a paying one-race sponsor, they have no business being on the car or the TV graphic. It's a waste of space and from the perspective of an intermittent viewer, it looks ridiculous and I hope however buys NASCAR can cut this out, and tone it down a bit. I want to see the cars and the drivers who pilot them. Not random people indistinguishable from dots in the stands.
/end rant

Couple interesting factoids after this race:

First, Kyle Busch is the first and only driver in NASCAR history to win at every track he's raced at. Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick would also be in line to get that accolade if Rockingham was still on the schedule, as neither driver has won there.

Secondly, for the first time in his 23-year-old career, Kevin Harvick has been classified dead last in one of the 3 national championship races.

Not really sure how they're gonna make an Xfinity car look like anything close to a supra, assuming these rumors are true.

Edit: Tree'd by 12 minutes...

I thought the rumor mill & Silly Season didn't start for another few months. I wouldn't mind it, but with the current NASCAR roof line, it won't look right at all.

While we're on the subject, correct me if I'm wrong: I was always under the impression that the car & truck models a manufacturer wants to use in NASCAR must be, to some degree, built in the US. This is why the Camry was allowed to race, because most of the US car is built in Kentucky.

Is that completely wrong? Because I'm pretty sure the Supra will not be even partially built in Kentucky. And not to mention that the final car will be part BMW.

While we're on the subject, correct me if I'm wrong: I was always under the impression that the car & truck models a manufacturer wants to use in NASCAR must be, to some degree, built in the US. This is why the Camry was allowed to race, because most of the US car is built in Kentucky.

Is that completely wrong? Because I'm pretty sure the Supra will not be even partially built in Kentucky. And not to mention that the final car will be part BMW.

I don't think that was ever a set rule considering both the Impala and Monte Carlo were built in Canada during the entire time they were used in NASCAR. Plus the Fusion hasn't been made in the U.S. since the 2016 model year.

I don't think that was ever a set rule considering both the Impala and Monte Carlo were built in Canada during the entire time they were used in NASCAR. Plus the Fusion hasn't been made in the U.S. since the 2016 model year.

Well that, and the SS was Australian, wasn't it?

We are heading into June. Before then, here is the upcoming schedule. Maybe you are going to a race or looking forward to one. Well, here's what your upcoming set of races looks like:

--- June 2018: Trucks ---
JUN 8 - Texas
JUN 16 - Iowa
JUN 23 - Gateway
JUN 29 - Chicagoland

--- June 2018: XFINITY ---
JUN 2 - Pocono
JUN 9 - Michigan
JUN 17 - Iowa
JUN 30 - Chicagoland

--- June 2018: Cup ---
JUN 3 - Pocono
JUN 10 - Michigan
JUN 24 - Sonoma

So look- we got road racing on the Cup side! Pretty cool smattering of different kinds of race tracks on the XFINITY and Trucks side. No short tracks for Cup this coming month. I surely always look forward to seeing NASCAR go road racing. While stock cars were meant for ovals, it is always poetry in motion watching these stock car drivers go road racing. If you never seen stock cars go road racing, you're in for a treat later this June.

So I don't forget, congratulations to all winners from this past weekend across all levels of NASCAR competition.

Well that, and the SS was Australian, wasn't it?

I thought about the SS, but didn't include it as I couldn't find anything concrete as to whether they were made along their Holden counterparts or assembled elsewhere.

I thought about the SS, but didn't include it as I couldn't find anything concrete as to whether they were made along their Holden counterparts or assembled elsewhere.
The SS was Aussie AF. That was one of it's major selling points.
Rumour is that Toyota’s running the Supra in Xfinity next year. About time for a new body in that series, since no reason to keep the sedan silhouette if all three manufacturers are running coupe nameplates.

Not really sure how they're gonna make an Xfinity car look like anything close to a supra, assuming these rumors are true.

Edit: Tree'd by 12 minutes...

1. Why send the Supra to NASCAR and not to formula D or IMSA? This would have been the perfect job for the Gt86. Which, funnily enough, has been distorted and mis proportioned to hell and back in it's native Japan and abroad.
2. If it does race, Toyota NEED to go all in on the Japanese-ness of the Supra when they reveal it. It may clash with the fact (and image) that Toyota USA is an American company with a Japanese name. Regardless, paint it red and white with the name in big, bold kanji.

I thought the rumor mill & Silly Season didn't start for another few months. I wouldn't mind it, but with the current NASCAR roof line, it won't look right at all.

See above. Depending on which sport coupe Toyota decides to enter (GT86 or Supra) we're looking at the first true Japanese (Camry doesn't count because it's a westernized sedan that doesn't even really exist in its "home country") race car in NASCAR history.

The SS was Aussie AF. That was one of it's major selling points.

1. Why send the Supra to NASCAR and not to formula D or IMSA? This would have been the perfect job for the Gt86. Which, funnily enough, has been distorted and mis proportioned to hell and back in it's native Japan and abroad.
2. If it does race, Toyota NEED to go all in on the Japanese-ness of the Supra when they reveal it. It may clash with the fact (and image) that Toyota USA is an American company with a Japanese name. Regardless, paint it red and white with the name in big, bold kanji.

See above. Depending on which sport coupe Toyota decides to enter (GT86 or Supra) we're looking at the first true Japanese (Camry doesn't count because it's a westernized sedan that doesn't even really exist in its "home country") race car in NASCAR history.

It’s all part of a plot to get millennials to watch NASCAR, since everyone knows the Supra is to people under 35 what the Hemi Cuda is to boomers. Spoiler: it won’t work

My dream for NASCAR to get back the enthusiast fanbase is to decree the motors are based on stock engine blocks and use street car technology, so we could have Ford with an Ecoboost V6 and Toyota with a hybrid V6 against Chevy and Dodge with big V8s, hell get Tesla or someone in with an EV, that’s the type of thing that needs to happen to bring interest back to the sport. It’s not hard to get any or all of these technologies to the 600-800hp mark that NASCAR needs, since street cars are already in that range. The only thing it would do would take away the engine fabrication aspect from the teams.

Of course in this dream world the Xfinity series would be solely powered by 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinders with crossover bodies, since that’s relevant nowadays, and the Trucks would continue its current trajectory to being glorified late models with basically crate engines.

Last edited:
It’s all part of a plot to get millennials to watch NASCAR, since everyone knows the Supra is to people under 35 what the Hemi Cuda is to boomers. Spoiler: it won’t work

My dream for NASCAR to get back the enthusiast fanbase is to decree the motors are based on stock engine blocks and use street car technology, so we could have Ford with an Ecoboost V6 and Toyota with a hybrid V6 against Chevy and Dodge with big V8s, hell get Tesla or someone in with an EV, that’s the type of thing that needs to happen to bring interest back to the sport. It’s not hard to get any or all of these technologies to the 600-800hp mark that NASCAR needs, since street cars are already in that range. The only thing it would do would take away the engine fabrication aspect from the teams.

Of course in this dream world the Xfinity series would be solely powered by 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinders with crossover bodies, since that’s relevant nowadays, and the Trucks would continue its current trajectory to being glorified late models with basically crate engines.
NASCAR's "millennial" plot is asinine and I hope Toyota isn't going to go along with it. Otherwise, I'm only for letting EVs in if one manufacturer decides to build a 1:1 RC car with a cage and a seat. Like this
Yokomo-YD-2-TC-2wd-Touring-Car-2-628x300.jpg

I'm not convinced on the Supra yet, or the 86 for that matter. I'm pretty sure the main reason we're seeing body styles change is because the SS is out of production, and the Fusion will be out of production very soon. Unless by some weird occurrence, I think the Camry is here to stay for at least a little while longer. And again, the current body style isn't right for the GT86. Like imagine trying to stretch a GT86 over a Fusion body. Will give kids nightmares.

Unpopular opinion time: NASCAR needs to chill out with the military hero worship. I'm all for teams breaking out patriotic specials or dedicating said liveries to individuals whom the team is connected to, having each team run the names of who are essentially random people on the cars and getting "paired up" with them is over the top and ridiculous. While I agree with the sentiment of it, IMO unless their chosen soldier or their family is a paying one-race sponsor, they have no business being on the car or the TV graphic. It's a waste of space and from the perspective of an intermittent viewer, it looks ridiculous and I hope however buys NASCAR can cut this out, and tone it down a bit. I want to see the cars and the drivers who pilot them. Not random people indistinguishable from dots in the stands.
/end rant

This isn't the politics thread but this is a horrible opinion. Once a year they put dead service members names on cars for Memorial Day. It might be a bit much for some but it's one race and it's weird how much it bothers some. To think they have no business being on the car because they didn't pay to have it on the car is not only insensitive it's downright cold. If you look at the bigger picture from a business standpoint, NASCAR is taking a hardcore stand against other sports organizations kneeling for the anthem and appealing to the runaway fans from said sports. Everyone is entitled to opinions and NASCAR does go full 'Murica sometimes but don't knock a dead service members name on a car for something like Memorial Day. It's a weird stand to take.

This isn't the politics thread but this is a horrible opinion. Once a year they put dead service members names on cars for Memorial Day. It might be a bit much for some but it's one race and it's weird how much it bothers some. To think they have no business being on the car because they didn't pay to have it on the car is not only insensitive it's downright cold. If you look at the bigger picture from a business standpoint, NASCAR is taking a hardcore stand against other sports organizations kneeling for the anthem and appealing to the runaway fans from said sports. Everyone is entitled to opinions and NASCAR does go full 'Murica sometimes but don't knock a dead service members name on a car for something like Memorial Day. It's a weird stand to take.

Agreed. With Monster moving the driver's name to the back windshield so they can put their own name on the front - well within their right mind you, but now it's next to impossible to see the driver's name (on TV at least) so it's rather pointless being there at all - I'm surprised they were willing to give up the advertising space for a service member, if only for one race. It probably comes down to the practice already being in place so they didn't want to step on any toes.

All that being said, I don't know how anyone could be against this. It's literally one of the least things you could do, but it is symbolic and in the past (I didn't watch this year) I think I recall they would talk about the service people named on the cars either before the race or throughout. I like the patriotic paint jobs too. Our service people fought for our freedoms, including gathering and racing cars like maniacs. Every chance to solemnly say thank you is a good one in my book.

...and in the past (I didn't watch this year) I think I recall they would talk about the service people named on the cars either before the race or throughout.
They did this again this year. Usually just before a commercial break.

My apologies.

Apparently NASCAR was very serious about using the All-star aero at other events. Because Kyle wasn't challenged all 600, even though the rest of the field was having some decent enough battles, it seems the NASCAR brass also only pay attention to the leader and no one else all race.

The Xfinity cars are testing it at Pocono and Michigan, with the possibilities of running it in cup at those track's second races and Indy.

If it "works", then by 2021 I predict Martinsville, New Hampshire, Sonoma, and Watkins Glen will be the only tracks without plates and ducts.

Even Richmond, Phoenix, Dover, and Bristol?
Richmond and Phoenix I'm not sure. Dover and Bristol I can definitely see, and I don't like what my mind is showing me as it's effectively get to someone>get them aero loose/tight>make pass>repeat ad nauseum for the entire field. No actual battles, just a train where every once in a while one car becomes the caboose.

That said, my mind is the antithesis of clairvoyant, so take all I say with truckloads of salt.

Back