2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
A lot of events that take place fairly close to the border play both the Canadian and U.S. anthems.

Can confirm. They've always played the Canadian anthem at Michigan International Speedway before races, though it usually happens before the invocation and isn't televised for some reason.

Can confirm. They've always played the Canadian anthem at Michigan International Speedway before races, though it usually happens before the invocation and isn't televised for some reason.

Watkins Glen, too.

Harvick’s move on Busch can be displayed alongside Edwards on Busch at Richmond, Smith on Tagliani at Mid-Ohio, and Gordon on Wallace at Bristol as the golden standard of bump & runs.

I feel really bad for Kurt and Aric, as they appeared to have dominant cars that got derailed by pit road miscues.

That's twice for Almirola in just a few weeks that he had a winning car that didn't win. He's going to win soon if he can keep running like this. It's a shame SHR couldn't put him in that car years ago.

Great race today! Sucks that Almirola had hat bad stop as he could have won this race easily. Super cool to see Chase Elliott win a stage while holding off a charging Kurt Busch. Plus he got a top 5 finish!

Harvick’s move on Busch can be displayed alongside Edwards on Busch at Richmond, Smith on Tagliani at Mid-Ohio, and Gordon on Wallace at Bristol as the golden standard of bump & runs.
Terry Labonte moving Dale (before getting his cage rattled) at Bristol has to be on that list somewhere.

Thought I would miss the race due to traveling, but caught the whole race in the hotel room because of the delay. Glad I did as it was very good throughout.

Coincidentally, I'm up in NE for the week. Forgot the race was up here this weekend.

Yesterday was my B-Day so had to do the family thing but caught up on the race last night on the DVR. Bump and run isn't my favorite thing but it's fair play in this series and probably depends on who does it to who. I'm sure if it became the standard for all races it would lose it's perceived luster. I stayed off social media yesterday when the race was going on to not spoil anything but am catching up now. It's pretty amazing the double standard a lot of NASCAR fans have in regards to moves like these. I'm willing to bet if and when it gets paid back if it'd be considered fair then. Perhaps final corner of Homestead? I think a lot of fans have a short memory for these type of situations. People couldn't even remember that Larson got into the 18 just a quarter of a lap before the 18 gave him the ol' coveted bump and run cage rattle at Chicagoland. It was for sure exciting but interesting to read the comments.

It was an exciting finish, but I just find NASCAR's inconsistencies infuriating. Stenhouse smacks the wall, enough to cause his right front wheel to stop spinning, and no caution is thrown (while some big names were on pit road). Bowyer barely makes contact with the wall...immediate caution! It would be certainly less annoying if it didn't end up leading to another win by one of the big three. I feel bad for Almirola and Kurt.

Calling it now: We wont get another new winner for the rest of the season.
At least a few more races won't go that way.

Bowyer has won two races, one he stole from Harvick in a rain-shortened race at Michigan.

Dillon, Logano, and Jones won at the restrictor plate tracks. Jones had to beat Truex back to the line, even though EVERYONE ELSE crashed out.

Best chances for other drivers are Talladega, Watkins Glen, and the Charlotte Roval. Short tracks are also a great equalizer, where aero won't matter.

Almirola seems to have enough speed to win, and will probably break through soon. Kurt has looked strong, and could definitely win somewhere. Bowyer could win again, since he dominated Martinsville in the spring. Any SHR driver could win at nearly every track right now. Harvick can't take them all.

Brad has won at least one race in each of the previous seven seasons. He will probably grab a race before the year is over. Best bets are Pocono, Watkins Glen, Talladega, and Texas.

Also, Denny Hamlin has never went a full season without winning a race. I have to think he'll find a way to win once. Watch out at Martinsville, Richmond, Phoenix, and Homestead.

Can Jimmie really go a full season without winning? You have to think he will be strong at Dover, Indy, and Martinsville.

Did I miss any other obvious ones?

Bowyer has won two races, one he stole from Harvick in a rain-shortened race at Michigan.

Dillon, Logano, and Jones won at the restrictor plate tracks. Jones had to beat Truex back to the line, even though EVERYONE ELSE crashed out.

Best chances for other drivers are Talladega, Watkins Glen, and the Charlotte Roval. Short tracks are also a great equalizer, where aero won't matter.

Almirola seems to have enough speed to win, and will probably break through soon. Kurt has looked strong, and could definitely win somewhere. Bowyer could win again, since he dominated Martinsville in the spring. Any SHR driver could win at nearly every track right now. Harvick can't take them all.

Brad has won at least one race in each of the previous seven seasons. He will probably grab a race before the year is over. Best bets are Pocono, Watkins Glen, Talladega, and Texas.

Also, Denny Hamlin has never went a full season without winning a race. I have to think he'll find a way to win once. Watch out at Martinsville, Richmond, Phoenix, and Homestead.

Can Jimmie really go a full season without winning? You have to think he will be strong at Dover, Indy, and Martinsville.

This about covers it, but something tells me it won't be that simple.

Larson, Busch, Almirola, Blaney, and Keselowski will definitely win before the end of the year.

Hamlin, Johnson, and Elliott have an outside chance. Denny hasn’t looked competitive this year, Jimmie is unpredictable and NASCAR could fix a race at any time to give Chase a win.

The Roval and Talladega will definitely be wild cards, as well as Indy, which I believe will be even more of a wreckfest than last year, especially with so many drivers having to point their way into the playoffs.

Watkins Glen and Sonoma are no longer wild card races in Cup since the onset of stage racing. The Big 3 have been the dominant cars on road courses the past few years.

Larson, Busch, Almirola, Blaney, and Keselowski will definitely win before the end of the year.

Hamlin, Johnson, and Elliott have an outside chance. Denny hasn’t looked competitive this year, Jimmie is unpredictable and NASCAR could fix a race at any time to give Chase a win.

The Roval and Talladega will definitely be wild cards, as well as Indy, which I believe will be even more of a wreckfest than last year, especially with so many drivers having to point their way into the playoffs.

Watkins Glen and Sonoma are no longer wild card races in Cup since the onset of stage racing. The Big 3 have been the dominant cars on road courses the past few years.
Yup, I totally missed on Larson. He could definitely take one just about anywhere, except the road courses.

I like Blaney, but I'm not sure he's a sure thing to win this season. I'd love to be wrong about that.

If Jimmie can't steal one somewhere, I don't see Chase winning one over him. Hendrick has got to get their cars up to standard, and soon.

William Byrons scheme for Pocono Raceway.
IMG_2779.PNG
Looks familiar...
IMG_2780.JPG
Only complaint is that the side number looks a little on the small side.

Edit: Also Skittles...
IMG_2782.JPG
IMG_2781.JPG

Last edited:
Hey it matches my Beetle. Derrike Cope must feel left out though since I’m pretty sure he raced that scheme before Irvan.
445A418F-97C9-45A2-AA3A-9FB7DECF8CBE.jpeg

That’s my 2nd favourite throwback scheme so far, but nothing will top Dibenedetto’s since he’s bringing back my favourite scheme of all time, which also matches my Atenza
7AE6F860-F508-46E4-916B-79A46A3FF83C.jpeg
CB94A7AC-D7AD-41CC-A2CD-CF172561A819.jpeg

FS1 Racehub just aired a REALLY cool special about a group of deaf NASCAR fans and what it's like for them at the races. Really cool.

William Byrons scheme for Pocono Raceway.
View attachment 754300
Looks familiar...
View attachment 754301
Only complaint is that the side number looks a little on the small side.

Edit: Also Skittles...
View attachment 754305
View attachment 754304
Is there a reason why the Axalta scheme's proportions are a bit off compared to the original? Also, even though I'm not a KB fan, that scheme is one of my personal favorites and it makes me incredibly happy to see it and Skittles themselves back in NASCAR.

Hey it matches my Beetle. Derrike Cope must feel left out though since I’m pretty sure he raced that scheme before Irvan.
View attachment 754314

That’s my 2nd favourite throwback scheme so far, but nothing will top Dibenedetto’s since he’s bringing back my favourite scheme of all time, which also matches my Atenza
View attachment 754315
View attachment 754316
Those are amazing. Are they available to download?

Is there a reason why the Axalta scheme's proportions are a bit off compared to the original? Also, even though I'm not a KB fan, that scheme is one of my personal favorites and it makes me incredibly happy to see it and Skittles themselves back in NASCAR.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/3038588/gallery/carLivery

Don’t know if that link’ll work or not, but all my liveries are public on my GTS profile. I usually don’t put too much effort into promoting them since I mostly make them for my own use, but I’m one of the few people who puts NASCAR schemes on everything, not just Mustangs, Corvettes, and Vipers. Mostly late 90’s/early 00’s but some older and some current ones. Some of them turned out well, some didn’t, but some of them that aren’t great/the older ones I’ve improved since then, just never reposted them, so I can if anyone cares that much/I can redo any of the schemes I’ve already done on any vehicle.

I don’t know how to upload decals (or rather I don’t know how to resize/convert them) so I’m limited by what other people upload. There’s a lot I haven’t been able to do due to lack of number or sponsor decals

Last edited:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/3038588/gallery/carLivery

Don’t know if that link’ll work or not, but all my liveries are public on my GTS profile. I usually don’t put too much effort into promoting them since I mostly make them for my own use, but I’m one of the few people who puts NASCAR schemes on everything, not just Mustangs, Corvettes, and Vipers. Mostly late 90’s/early 00’s but some older and some current ones. Some of them turned out well, some didn’t, but some of them that aren’t great/the older ones I’ve improved since then, just never reposted them, so I can if anyone cares that much/I can redo any of the schemes I’ve already done on any vehicle.

I don’t know how to upload decals (or rather I don’t know how to resize/convert them) so I’m limited by what other people upload. There’s a lot I haven’t been able to do due to lack of number or sponsor decals
Thanks for the link

I'm heading to Pocono Raceway today to attend the Camping 150 race and possibly one of the qualifiers for the 400 tomorrow!

Edit: At the track and holy crap. I can hear the cars all the way outside the track.

Last edited:
What Turn 4? Trucks try the Tricky Triangle today. You folks enjoy the Trucks action from Pocono today! Then later, maybe one of the best short tracks today is raced on Iowa Speedway with the XFINITY cars. Cup takes its rounds around Pocono tomorrow.

Good luck to all drivers and teams across all levels of NASCAR. Enjoy the action!

[UPDATE] Forgot to mention XFINITY racing Iowa.

Last edited:
At the track and holy crap. I can hear the cars all the way outside the track.
When I was went to Pocono a couple of years ago, we stayed at a camp ground right just a few miles from the track. We slept in on saturday so we missed the first two practice sessions, but we could hear them.
Wish I could have gone to one of the races this year but me being in school prevents it.
Hope you have fun!

Update: The Sprint Cup cars have been practicing since 11:40 local time. Seeing average speeds between 168-175.

1. 22
2. 4
3. 78
4. 10
5. 48
6. 14

As far as I can see.

EDIT: Camping 150 race will see the green flag at 1:21 PM

EDIT 2: #51 won the Camping 150 after being relentlessly pursued by #18.

Last edited:
D3F56A1D-6BA5-400F-A2EE-DB4ECF339757.jpeg
Ol’ Harv with the jack handle aerodynamic advantage again. Last time I noted this the car failed post race for the illegal roof.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back