2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
It doesn’t happen every year, but no track produces better duels for the win than Watkins Glen.

Make no secret of my dislike of Chase but good to finally see him get a well-deserved win. Would’ve liked to see Kyle up there at the end though.

The real issue of this race was how much faster the 9, 18, and 78 were than everyone else. It was ridiculous, no one else even had a chance.

The real issue of this race was how much faster the 9, 18, and 78 were than everyone else. It was ridiculous, no one else even had a chance.
No kidding. I was in my break room watching the restart @ 33 laps left and was stunned at the top 3 pulling so hard by the end of that lap.

There's one oddly quiet voice in this thread...

Great job by Chase. He drove his butt off.
I'll attempt to summarize. Ahem...

It was a lucky fuel mileage win. Even Danica got lucky once in Indy Cars. It took Truex running out of gas, along with Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin both having catastrophic disasters on their final pit stop. NASCAR repeatedly ignored accidents and let the race run green instead of throwing cautions that would have allowed Truex to save fuel and Kyle Busch to get closer on a restart.

I'll attempt to summarize. Ahem...

It was a lucky fuel mileage win. Even Danica got lucky once in Indy Cars. It took Truex running out of gas, along with Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin both having catastrophic disasters on their final pit stop. NASCAR repeatedly ignored accidents and let the race run green instead of throwing cautions that would have allowed Truex to save fuel and Kyle Busch to get closer on a restart.

That’s pretty mean of you, ruining his fun like that! :lol:

Thanks for doing my job sir. The fact that you noticed all of these circumstances leads me to believe that you know what a fixed race looks like.

Thanks for doing my job sir. The fact that you noticed all of these circumstances leads me to believe that you know what a fixed race looks like.

No redtailboa yellosnake I think what Ryan is doing is basically beating you to the punch by doing a parody of what you or other naysayers would say to troll your way into claiming a rigged system. Perhaps it's your selective memory at work, but for those of us actually watching the race, and seeing the performance of said driver who "shouldn't of won" it doesn't pan out the way you're claiming. For one Chase didn't luck into anything he was actually one of the fastest most of the race, and hell was fast (or fastest) all weekend long in practices and quali. However, you'll say the conspiracy runs that deep cause you're the Alex Jones of these NASCAR threads.

Though it's hard to argue rigged race, when his team and him as a driver all did their part, he too ran out of gas on the post race lap meaning again as hard as he ran he too could have ran out sooner but had better mileage. He didn't pass Truex and win the race uncontested, he actually had to fight and maintain the lead for 12+ laps to the finish. And had Truex passed him and created a gap, he could have controlled the pace and conserved fuel to the end. The point is Chase did his job, won the race fair, and the "cautions" that didn't come out seemed quite reasonable. Dillon plebbing it at the end where he was far off into the gravel trap and and moving under his own power. Hell even the lapped traffic made it easy for them. But I'm guessing it is all part of the "rigged" system at work.

IM sure you also think WWE wrestling is real. Mr Corvette
I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking to think there's some kind of conspiracy in NASCAR. Instead of blaming everything on some likely-fictional entity or people pulling the strings, why not consider the fact that all of the refs, spotters and crew/drivers know what they're doing and are performing their jobs competently? The race unfolded entirely of its own accord.

You probably wouldn't be spouting this kind of "rigged race" stuff if your favorite driver won the race.

IM sure you also think WWE wrestling is real. Mr Corvette

So you're seriously going to go full out troll. Then again this is a recycled line by you, so can't expect you to think too out of the box with Mickey Mouse conspiracies.

If the sport was rigged, I'd suspect Junior would have had championships to match his father, the chase and any other gimmick wouldn't be needed because they'd be able to just send it before every race even started.

First off NASCAR is not a sport, it is sports entertainment. A sport does not have a predetermined outcome. NASCAR didnt want their golden boy 0/100. They tried to give him Daytona last month when he was two tenths faster than everyone. But being the bad driver he is, he wrecked out. There is a reason NASCAR has one foot in the grave and its called Brian France with all of his desperate attempts to gain an audience

Tony’s last win at Sonoma was obviously rigged, hence NASCAR rewarding Denny with a win at the Glen later in the year. That’s about the only fixed road course race I can think of. I don’t think yesterday was, although it’s impossible to argue NASCAR wouldn’t have thrown those cautions had it been Busch and Truex 20 seconds ahead of 3rd place.

Also, to those of you who don’t believe NASCAR rigs races from time to time, they’re not planning it from the start (other than the most obviously fixed race in history, Junior’s win in the 3 car at Daytona in the first race of the Nationwide COT), they adapt to circumstances. Like the 2011 Championship Chase. They didn’t pick Carl and Tony from the start, but when they clearly separated themselves they “miraculously” had cars impossibly faster than everyone else for the last few races. It was still up to the drivers to drive them, even though as long as they kept them straight they were guaranteed 1st and 2nd. Hence why you never hear anyone discuss 2011 anymore, despite the fact it should in theory be regarded as the greatest championship race ever.

And if you don’t see NASCAR rigging Homestead so a Championship contender wins every year (and usually finishing 2nd as well) you’re a fool. Or do you think Gordon and Larson just somehow always make a fatal mistake or lose speed on the last run every single year?

Last edited:
First off NASCAR is not a sport, it is sports entertainment.
NASCAR is a sport. It's a subset of the larger sport known as auto racing. I sincerely have no clue what you're going on about, and I suspect you don't know either.

Edit:
I'm just going to step out of this thread so the troll doesn't have anything to feed on.

I caught the last half of this race yesterday and I'm glad I did. Great race up front to the finish but Busch would have won the race easily if not for that gas problem during his last stop. My 3 year old was rooting for Busch (because M&Ms) but I was hoping Truex would pull it out.

I dislike Chase Elliott but he did a good job. Personally I don't think he's that good but this sort of thing is good for NASCAR and they needed a new Dale Jr when he retired. They got it.

Brian France arrested in NY for driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance. Dude is a mess.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...rance-arrested-for-driving-while-intoxicated/

No way he stays as the head of NASCAR after that, given all the alcohol sponsors that put big money into a sport about high-speed driving while also campaigning against drunk driving.

At the same time, it's impressive how France managed to single-handadley usurp one of the biggest stories in NASCAR in recent memory.

I think most everyone had the suspicion ol Brian has some substance abuse problems. The confirmed suspicion are probably not that big of a surprise. I for one am glad he got caught because it will force him to make a decision to either recognize he has a problem and address it, sell it to someone interested and move on, better himself, take the money and run etc. Substance addiction is a SOB that rips people's lives apart, rips families apart, affects your job. I guess it's up to him how to go forward. He probably wasn't at the track this weekend. Where he was arrested isn't even close to the track and appears to be a ritzy area for elite people given the Hamptons in close proximity to Sag Harbor. It's a 6.5 hour drive from the Glen. Unless he flew there after the race which is a possibility. Driver's themselves have said that he is rarely at events and they'd like to see him go to more which sways my opinion to him not being present at the event. The best thing for him to do IMO is hold a press conference and admit to everything and put someone else in charge for the time being and either sell or take it seriously. This is sad all around.

***EDIT***
Brian France announces he's taking an indefinite leave from NASCAR and handing over control to his brother, Jim France.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018/story/_/id/24300964

Last edited:
Back