2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
I highly doubt NASCAR is going to have a quick collapse, if only because there are too many people at the top still making money off it in various ways and they're going to squeeze every last drop of blood out of that stone.

Now when Bruton Smith is looking to sell off some of his racetracks and Hendrick starts laying off engine builders, that's when we can consider starting the death clock.

I highly doubt NASCAR is going to have a quick collapse, if only because there are too many people at the top still making money off it in various ways and they're going to squeeze every last drop of blood out of that stone.

Well true, pretty much are gonna milk it dry so there's no actual motivation to make some sort of change.

Now when Bruton Smith is looking to sell off some of his racetracks and Hendrick starts laying off engine builders, that's when we can consider starting the death clock.

dethklok-fansong.gif

Couldn't resist :P

NASCAR will last at least through the current TV deal, as there is too much money coming in to fail.

When the TV deal expires, that's when NASCAR will hit its crossroads.

NASCAR will last at least through the current TV deal, as there is too much money coming in to fail.

When the TV deal expires, that's when NASCAR will hit its crossroads.

They certainly locked Fox and NBC into that deal at the right time. I'll be shocked if NASCAR, NBA or the NFL can even come close to what they are currently getting on their next deals as they are all ludicrous amounts.

They certainly locked Fox and NBC into that deal at the right time. I'll be shocked if NASCAR, NBA or the NFL can even come close to what they are currently getting on their next deals as they are all ludicrous amounts.

They'll have to really come up with some sort of sweet deal this time around as the TV ratings aren't nearly as plentiful the last time they negotiated and I'm sure the TV networks aren't pleased at throwing massive payouts for what have been less then ideal results.

Live sports are still the largest ratings generators for TV networks, and given how many people are only keeping their cable/satellite subscriptions specifically for sports I'd wager they'll all be able to get a pretty substantial renewal deal. Most organizations seem to have given up the notion of creating their own dedicated channels, and even in its diminished state NASCAR will still pull in better numbers than any other programming a network could put in an early Sunday afternoon timeslot... barring another sports event, of course.

While ratings have fallen over the years there are still millions of people watching NASCAR every race and it's routinely the most watched sporting event of the weekend unless something big in the sports world airs on the same day. I think it would be cool if after the TV deals are over and if they can't get another decent TV deal if NASCAR made a NASCAR channel where you pay a yearly fee to watch races and can watch via an app on something like a Firestick or Roku and the like. I have Playstation Vue and basically the reason is because it's not that expensive and I get to watch every NASCAR race on Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN and the occasional randos on USA or CNBC. I have all those channels for less than $40 a month. It's something that would probably be $100+ on regular cable. But I'd ditch all TV channels I pay for if there was a NASCAR only app that aired all the races and had some additional content like shows similar to Race Hub and NASCAR America. Then use Netflix and Hulu for regular TV.

I think it would be cool if after the TV deals are over and if they can't get another decent TV deal if NASCAR made a NASCAR channel where you pay a yearly fee to watch races and can watch via an app on something like a Firestick or Roku and the like.
I doubt it'll happen. That would put the cost of production, broadcasting and presentation entirely on NASCAR, and without advertising money to offset that it'd be a huge loss-maker unless they charged an unreasonable amount for a subscription. Plus, there's always going to be a TV network somewhere that will want a recognized weekend sport in their lineup, and I'm sure NASCAR could still juice them for a large amount since they'd be bringing in ratings numbers that most cable networks could never even hope to get otherwise.

I doubt it'll happen. That would put the cost of production, broadcasting and presentation entirely on NASCAR, and without advertising money to offset that it'd be a huge loss-maker unless they charged an unreasonable amount for a subscription. Plus, there's always going to be a TV network somewhere that will want a recognized weekend sport in their lineup, and I'm sure NASCAR could still juice them for a large amount since they'd be bringing in ratings numbers that most cable networks could never even hope to get otherwise.

I don't really expect it to happen just an alternate idea. I would expect it to be fairly expensive. NASCAR's not going anywhere and this conversation comes up every year. Lower ratings don't mean much in this day and age.

I don't really expect it to happen just an alternate idea. I would expect it to be fairly expensive.
To be fair, the main reason it caught my attention is that I've been talking with people elsewhere about the whole concept of dedicated sports networks and how a lot of organizations seem to have abandoned that idea recently, and the ones that haven't are struggling to find interesting content outside the actual live sports events they were set up for. I just couldn't think of anything a NASCAR channel would be other than a very specialized version of the Speed Channel with 2,000% more Richard Petty and Dale Sr. idolizing.

While ratings have fallen over the years there are still millions of people watching NASCAR every race and it's routinely the most watched sporting event of the weekend unless something big in the sports world airs on the same day. I think it would be cool if after the TV deals are over and if they can't get another decent TV deal if NASCAR made a NASCAR channel where you pay a yearly fee to watch races and can watch via an app on something like a Firestick or Roku and the like. I have Playstation Vue and basically the reason is because it's not that expensive and I get to watch every NASCAR race on Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN and the occasional randos on USA or CNBC. I have all those channels for less than $40 a month. It's something that would probably be $100+ on regular cable. But I'd ditch all TV channels I pay for if there was a NASCAR only app that aired all the races and had some additional content like shows similar to Race Hub and NASCAR America. Then use Netflix and Hulu for regular TV.

If they are going to do that they might as well go for a pay stream, much cheaper than tv production. I already get the WEC that way and I will get F1 when it starts (this year?). All I will need is IMSA and I will be ready to cut the cord myself 👍

If I were to guess the Daytona situation for Danica, I would not be surprised to see her in a third Front Row car. Not many options out there. The #27 looks to be in limbo, as that could be another one race deal if RCR cuts back

The owners know that there is a high probability that her Daytona car comes back on a flatbed. With there being qualifying races, she could potentially junk two cars in one week. No one is going to foot that bill just to feed her ego. She's going to have bring enough sponsorship to cover the potential cost of a few wrecked cars.

I'm feeling more & more that Homestead is gonna remain her last Nascar race. Not even sure her indy 500 ride will be happening and there is far more time for that to be put together.

I'm feeling more & more that Homestead is gonna remain her last Nascar race.

I have a feeling her standards may be too high for the amount of money she has to offer (maybe that's why she's hooking up with Rodgers? :lol:). If she really wanted to race I'm sure one of the smaller teams would take her onboard in a heartbeat just for the exposure they would be guaranteed to get, just like Waltrip's final race last year with Premium Motorsports.

Not even sure her indy 500 ride will be happening and there is far more time for that to be put together.

I think if Dallara can make enough parts there will be a ride for her. She is good enough to at least run some decent laps, which can go a long ways for one of the smaller teams with the new aero kit, even if she herself doesn't make the race.

I have a feeling her standards may be too high for the amount of money she has to offer (maybe that's why she's hooking up with Rodgers? :lol:). If she really wanted to race I'm sure one of the smaller teams would take her onboard in a heartbeat just for the exposure they would be guaranteed to get, just like Waltrip's final race last year with Premium Motorsports.
I think it's largely to do with the fact that Penske and Ganassi are the only teams that are running both NASCAR and Indycar, and are probably the only ones with enough resources to set up a one-off for both races that would be at least semi-competitive. I imagine she knows that simply puttering around the track in last year's car for Starten-Parker Racing isn't going to accomplish anything.

But like we've been saying, if she can't bring in enough of her own money to cover most of the cost, then it's unlikely even the large teams are going to consider going through the hassle of setting up "one last ride". Especially on such extremely short notice, in the case of Daytona.

Questions about the Charlotte road course. Is it just a one off or will they race there multiple times this year? Are NASCAR adding more road courses to the calendar in the near future?

Questions about the Charlotte road course. Is it just a one off or will they race there multiple times this year? Are NASCAR adding more road courses to the calendar in the near future?
They're gonna do it just once this year during the playoffs, and I'd assume if it goes well it will be used again next year.

They're gonna do it just once this year during the playoffs, and I'd assume if it goes well it will be used again next year.
Just wondering if NASCAR thought of using the Daytona & Indy road courses and places like VIR & Barber Motorsports Park. i understand it's an oval series, but more variety, would probably get even me back into watching.

Just wondering if NASCAR thought of using the Daytona & Indy road courses and places like VIR & Barber Motorsports Park. i understand it's an oval series, but more variety, would probably get even me back into watching.

You preaching to the choir, this is something we've all said several times between the start of the 2017 thread and into the 2018 one.

Gotcha. What's the hold up? or is the Charlotte event NASCAR listening to the fans?

I doubt it, and the hold up is the same as it has been. Most of the tracks on the schedule are owned by NASCAR friends or the France family. So why free that "cash flow" up for a better more all encompassing schedule just because it may attract more fans.

I doubt it, and the hold up is the same as it has been. Most of the tracks on the schedule are owned by NASCAR friends or the France family. So why free that "cash flow" up for a better more all encompassing schedule just because it may attract more fans.
True, but many of the ovals have road courses in them so instead of running the oval twice they could run one on each track and not lose any money. Maybe if the Charlotte event is enough of a success they could expand on the idea. I would love to see more road courses and if rovals is the only way to get them then I suppose that it is better than nothing.

They could also add Road Atlanta since NASCAR acquired it in the IMSA/Grand-Am merger. Plus add a second race at the Glen using the boot.

I think the series should always be focused on ovals, but something like 25% of the races being road courses would be rather nice.

True, but many of the ovals have road courses in them so instead of running the oval twice they could run one on each track and not lose any money. Maybe if the Charlotte event is enough of a success they could expand on the idea. I would love to see more road courses and if rovals is the only way to get them then I suppose that it is better than nothing.

Yeah obviously, but as much fan fair as the Daytona 24 has had for decades, you'd think they'd have made the connection. However, the issue is as it always is, NASCAR is a dominant oval racing series and thus the old hats who make choices seem to be too stuck in the past to actually try something as radical as replacing their second oval race of the year with a roval. Or more so sell the ability to one of the various road course track owners.

There is no guarantee that the race will be worth watching when you put these huge, heavy race cars onto a narrow road course converted out of necessity from a purpose-built oval track. Passing might not exist on these pseudo-circuit courses, since the road course layout is an afterthought, crammed in the middle of another race track. Let's see how the Charlotte race plays out before we starting clamoring to see the infield road courses run everywhere else.

They could also add Road Atlanta since NASCAR acquired it in the IMSA/Grand-Am merger. Plus add a second race at the Glen using the boot.

I think the series should always be focused on ovals, but something like 25% of the races being road courses would be rather nice.
If they add Road Atlanta it will likely be at the expense of Atlanta itself. They don't have many expendable dates now unless they want to back out of a market. Dover and Pocono are the only remaining options but they have to be careful with those.

Its worth nothing that there's a contract with all these that'll last until about 2021 or 2022 (Will have to look again to make sure). Might as well get comfortable and pop a cold one because it'll be abit before any major changes that get rid of a SMI track happen (if at all).

If only we could get someone similar to Liberty Media to work some magic.

Back