2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
Could do without that chicane in the high speed section. Seems just when cars would pass, they have to slow. Any simulations available?

A few notes from that vid. A decent and surprising amount of elevation change. The walls are quite close in and narrow at some points, almost street circuit like which will be interesting. Even with the chicane before the start finish, still not much run off.

I like it quite a lot, the banked Turn 2 looks nice as well.

Reading that and having abit of a think, I've begun to come to a realization that as much as we despise Daytona Day, we're completely missing the point of it. Yes last year's version was one massive multi-brand ad (Focus on the Smithfield, y'all) with all the logos and barely any of the actual sport BUT (or as Clive James would put it, "Buuuut"), it actually got people interested as hard to believe as that is. I think in the exact same manner as sim racing, we have been blinded by our absolute die-hard feelings and completely are ignoring the part where we are the few (the not proud) and NOT the many (The many this sport actually needs kinda badly).

Frankly, the issue with the Daytona Day campaign has seemingly more been based on how much we as fans hate it (on top of the frustration with all the other things NASCAR does, even though this is Fox doing this) and less on whether casual fans will show up or even be interested because of it. The irony in it all is that its not even for US die-hards, its for the casual fans who have little to no knowledge about NASCAR outside memes and the common knowledge that apparently once upon a time, there was some guy named Dale Earnhardt in it (Probably best they don't see that movie if only because of that one scene...still scarred from that). Unless we have a better idea on how to mend a sport bleeding so hard that some suspect a trip to Benihana might be a clue, we'll have to accept the reality that we sorta need those casuals and if it takes ads like this (even if features a guy driving a chevy but wearing a Logano t-shirt), then that's kinda the way its gonna be.

I really don’t find Daytona Day to be any more annoying than any other gimmick Fox has tried (Digger still holds the crown).

I am pleasantly surprised Comcast (owners of NBC) is helping though as it shows they at least care about the sport enough to promote races on other networks.

That chicane looks pretty hard to pick up visually from the video. Hopefully it's easier in-person...

I wouldn't be surprised if we see sausage curbing added, or something like that. And we'd get the bonus side effect of 2 wheels up in the air through the chicane, and who doesn't love that?

Took me a minute to realize they removed an entire section. I guess with the other 2 chicanes added, there's no longer a need to that part of the infield...?
The section was simply too slow, and was bogging down traffic instead of promoting more passing, according to test data.

Derrike Cope now has a charter. I guess they are serious. Look out Daytona !!! As of today, Jeffery Earnhardt will be in the seat of the 00

Last edited:
Quick video summing up all the ontrack changes for this year across all 3 series.
One thing of note; the super duper high drag package Xfinity ran at Indy last year will be used again and will also be used at Michigan and Pocono.

Did any of you get to see NASCAR Race Hub and those predictions today? One thing I didn't notice was the scheduling changes. You know... Chicagoland not in the Chase and Richmond in the Chase for example. I am still interested in how the Charlotte road course deal goes. Some people say that this is good for tracks like Charlotte because it gives more dates and also provides something different. For all intents and purposes, the Charlotte road course is basically 75% of the oval course and a few extra roads. Heck, I even remember the former American Le Mans Series had the Charlotte road course on its schedule back in 1999 or 2000, but it was never raced.

I don't have much abounding interest in NASCAR as I used to, but I will still try to follow the series as much as I can for the 2018 season. Most of you know I question if the series will have enough staying power or if NASCAR will be on the skids in popularity. What concerns you the most about NASCAR this season, if anything?

What concerns you the most about NASCAR this season, if anything?
My three biggest concerns:
1) # of butts in seats / TV rating compared to last year.
2) progress of youth movement versus retirement of older but still able drivers
3) departure of sponsored rides compared to last year

So has anyone read the pit crew rule changes in full? My Dad read them aloud the other day and it is shocking how stupid it is. Basically no team member of a specific car can help with anything on another team car. If they do that car loses that team member plus another and it'll be tracked by RFID tags in their team passes. Nascar is also limiting the number of people a team can bring to the track. Apparently this is all in the name of accentuating pit stops and helping people know more than just driver and some crew chief names.

So has anyone read the pit crew rule changes in full? My Dad read them aloud the other day and it is shocking how stupid it is. Basically no team member of a specific car can help with anything on another team car. If they do that car loses that team member plus another and it'll be tracked by RFID tags in their team passes. Nascar is also limiting the number of people a team can bring to the track. Apparently this is all in the name of accentuating pit stops and helping people know more than just driver and some crew chief names.

New to me as I only knew about the smaller pit crew sizes, as well as the smaller travel groups from each team.

I feel like all this boils down to a cost-cutting plan. Less guys at the track, less equipment to ship, less to get the whole race crew to the track. Might slightly help the smaller teams out since they don't have as many resources as say, Gibbs or Hendrick.

I would also guess that having say, the #5 crew working on the #5 car only keeps the larger teams from getting all their teams to work on one car, again, benefiting smaller teams. Gives the impression of "Work together back at the shop, but at the track, you're all competitors."

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like a decent idea.

When was the last time that was uttered in a NASCAR thread?

Also round 1 of qualifying sessions will be shortened from 20 to 15 minutes.

Just tuned into the ARCA race. I was surprised to see Chase Elliott not in the race. He would at least be a contender in that field. On a side note Jon Wes Townley has won that race twice and is retired, so Chase Elliott's toughest rival would not be there.

Just tuned into the ARCA race. I was surprised to see Chase Elliott not in the race. He would at least be a contender in that field. On a side note Jon Wes Townley has won that race twice and is retired, so Chase Elliott's toughest rival would not be there.

images(47).jpg

Enough with the Chase-bashing already! Can't you direct that venom at somebody who deserves it, like The Dillon brothers?

So who get's the pole today?
After watching practice, it looks like the Chevys have the better no-tow, single car speeds, so I think it's gonna be a chevy. I'm pulling for Byron.

Hopefully Danica wins the pole so we can have more “NASCAR is rigged” conspiracy theories. They’re always good for a laugh.

Hopefully Danica wins the pole so we can have more “NASCAR is rigged” conspiracy theories. They’re always good for a laugh.

Allow me to be that person :D Look at the Daytona 500 front row for the past 5 years, and tell me that's all a coincidence.

2013 - Danica Patrick. First full time Cup season, would not repeat this feat again.
2014 - Austin Dillon. Return of the #3 to NASCAR since 2001.
2015 - Jeff Gordon. Final full season.
2016 - Chase Elliot. Elliot name returns to Cup full time.
2017 - I'll admit that this is the weakest of the bunch. Pole was Elliot again, but 2nd place so it didn't seem too obvious... Dale Jr. in his final season. To be fair, I don't think Dale had announced his retirement, so take that for what you will.

So yeah, I feel they 'fix' qualifying to some extent. Why? They have a big news headline for the week to work with. The race is a completely different story.

I'm writing this after Q1. I genuinely thought it was going to be Patrick until she missed the cut. Now I have no idea, so I think I've been defeated this season :)

Another note: It's a bit disappointing to see that only 40 cars have shown up.

Allow me to be that person :D Look at the Daytona 500 front row for the past 5 years, and tell me that's all a coincidence.

The 500 has been known to produce odd pole winners since the start of the restrictor plate era. It would also help to look at the teams each was driving for.

2018 - Alex Bowman/Hendrick
2017 - Chase Elliott/Hendrick
2016 - Chase Elliott/Hendrick
2015 - Jeff Gordon/Hendrick
2014 - Austin Dillon/RCR
2013 - Danica Patrick/Stewart-Haas (which more or less was Hendrick at the time)
2012- Carl Edwards/Roush (Roush-Yates Engines)
2011- Dale Earnhardt Jr/Hendrick
2010 - Mark Martin/Hendrick
2009 - Martin Truex Jr./Earnhardt-Ganassi (ECR Engines)
2008 - Jimmie Johnson/Hendrick
2007 - David Gilliland/Yates
2006 - Jeff Burton/RCR
2005 - Dale Jarrett/Yates
2004 - Greg Biffle/Roush
2003 - Jeff Green/RCR
2002 - Jimmie Johnson/Hendrick
2001 - Bill Elliott/Evernham
2000 - Dale Jarrett/Yates
1999- Jeff Gordon/Hendrick
1998 - Bobby Labonte/Gibbs
1997 - Mike Skinner/RCR
1996 - Dale Earnhardt/RCR
1995 - Dale Jarrett/Yates
1994 - Loy Allen Jr./Tri-Star
1993 - Kyle Petty/SABCO
1992 - Sterling Marlin/Junior Johnson
1991 - Davey Allison/Yates
1990 - Ken Schrader/Hendrick
1989 - Ken Schrader/Hendrick
1988 - Ken Schrader/Hendrick

So yeah, since 1988 a whopping 6 poles have been won by someone not using Hendrick, RCR or Yates powerplants.

Last edited:
Back