2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
Can you imagine Larson driving the 41 car? :eek:
Easy, he would've likely been 2018 champion then

That would be interesting.

Stewart originally wanted Larson to take over the 14 car.
(random symbol swearing) Chip Ganassi for ruining this and having garbage cars!

Real (season long) points standings

1. Busch
2. Harvick -54
3. Truex -170
4. Logano -189

So it could’ve been worse (like 2015 where Kyle won after missing a third of season)

In the season long standings Kurt would’ve gotten 5th, but in the official playoff standings, Almirola got 5th and Kurt and Chase tied for 6th place.
IDK what makes me more mad. the 4th best driver lucking into a championship or Truex only getting 3rd for his efforts :banghead:

How about 8 instead?

Seriously, 2018 will be remembered as the year of the "Big Three". And they would have finished 1-2-3 at the finale if it hadn't of been for the rules.

Of all the sad words ever penned, the saddest are these: "It might have been".
How about that.

Easy, he would've likely been 2018 champion then

(random symbol swearing) Chip Ganassi for ruining this and having garbage cars!

IDK what makes me more mad. the 4th best driver lucking into a championship or Truex only getting 3rd for his efforts :banghead:

How about that.

Truex was just so inconsistent this year. He only had one finish between 6th and 10th all year. Kyle Busch on the other hand had the best average finish (8.3) of anyone since Jeff Gordon in 2007, who also lost the championship that year because of the old Chase system.

Busch did that in a year where the rest of the Gibbs team struggled overall.

Last edited:
Truex was just so inconsistent this year. He only had one finish between 6th and 10th all year. Kyle Busch on the other hand had the best average finish (8.3) of anyone since Jeff Gordon in 2007, who also lost the championship that year because of the old Chase system.

Struggled is an understatement. Hamlin went winless for the first time in his career. Suarez didn't make the playoffs. Jones won the summer Daytona race, where he was one of about four cars still running at the end. Literally everyone else wrecked out of that race. Half of the top ten were missing fenders or had 14 sheets of tape holding them together. I've never seen a late race restart at a plate track where maybe only 3 cars had any chance to win.

True. Curse the hype surrounding Furniture Row's exit though.

Imagine the black eye on NASCAR had the #78 won again. After all it is obvious they were blackballed by NASCAR so they were unable to obtain sponsorship. Give me a break, Derrike Cope finds money for two teams in Cup. I guess it really upset them that an outsider from Colorado, built a team from scratch and was more successful than any of their prima donna teams. And before you all go the route that Cope's teams are awful and cost very little to run, remember that Barney Vissar funded that team out of his pocket for years

Imagine the black eye on NASCAR had the #78 won again. After all it is obvious they were blackballed by NASCAR so they were unable to obtain sponsorship. Give me a break, Derrike Cope finds money for two teams in Cup. I guess it really upset them that an outsider from Colorado, built a team from scratch and was more successful than any of their prima donna teams. And before you all go the route that Cope's teams are awful and cost very little to run, remember that Barney Vissar funded that team out of his pocket for years

I mostly think Visser’s problem is he’s gotten greedy and doesn’t want to go back to being a 10th place car again. Also the fact that he ran it out of his pocket for years (including back when people cared about NASCAR) shows that he’s terrible at finding sponsorship or has always asked for too much money. More evidence is the fact that Furniture Row has always been the only team other than Red Bull that never runs the small contingency decals on the side of the car. He could easily go back to their pre-Gibbs performance, but doesn’t think it’s worth it. He also could just hire Suarez and not have to worry about money. His health also probably has something to do with it.

Trust me, NASCAR’s not going to blackball the team that’s created the most “emotional moments” and sob stories over the last few seasons.

I mostly think Visser’s problem is he’s gotten greedy and doesn’t want to go back to being a 10th place car again. Also the fact that he ran it out of his pocket for years (including back when people cared about NASCAR) shows that he’s terrible at finding sponsorship or has always asked for too much money. More evidence is the fact that Furniture Row has always been the only team other than Red Bull that never runs the small contingency decals on the side of the car. He could easily go back to their pre-Gibbs performance, but doesn’t think it’s worth it. He also could just hire Suarez and not have to worry about money. His health also probably has something to do with it.

Trust me, NASCAR’s not going to blackball the team that’s created the most “emotional moments” and sob stories over the last few seasons.

I think you make a good point, but he has for some time 5 hour energy and Bass Pro Shop as well as other one offs or few offs during a season and then of course his own FR sponsoring. Point is it doesn't seem he was completely incapable of making deals with sponsors and why would he be as a very successful business man. I think the profit wasn't there or sponsors wanted more from him and other teams but weren't willing to pay. Which is interesting because Bass Pro was sponsoring more than one car plenty of times while being with FRR.

I think it's a combination, but I wouldn't ever agree it is some conspiracy to drive the Colorado team away because they're not no in North Carolina and are winning. That seems pretty silly to do for reasons you suggested. I think it is simply investors are drying up, and the amount of money he may want to keep driving Truex along with the team to stay competitive is too high. Or reasonable but the sponsors don't want to meet him half way or even a third and thus he sees no reason to continue.

Investors are drying up basically because NASCAR is dead. The only regional foothold they have is the Southeast. And the only competitive professional sports teams reside in Atlanta. And then again that would be professional sports as opposed to sports entertainment, because if you choose to watch cars driving in circles for hours and dont realize that money is influencing the outcome then you are part of the select few that continue to be fooled by this joke.

I think you make a good point, but he has for some time 5 hour energy and Bass Pro Shop as well as other one offs or few offs during a season and then of course his own FR sponsoring. Point is it doesn't seem he was completely incapable of making deals with sponsors and why would he be as a very successful business man. I think the profit wasn't there or sponsors wanted more from him and other teams but weren't willing to pay. Which is interesting because Bass Pro was sponsoring more than one car plenty of times while being with FRR.

I think it's a combination, but I wouldn't ever agree it is some conspiracy to drive the Colorado team away because they're not no in North Carolina and are winning. That seems pretty silly to do for reasons you suggested. I think it is simply investors are drying up, and the amount of money he may want to keep driving Truex along with the team to stay competitive is too high. Or reasonable but the sponsors don't want to meet him half way or even a third and thus he sees no reason to continue.

5 Hour’s days were numbered anyway since Monster didn’t want them in the sport. They were only allowed in because they signed their deal before Monster was announced as the series sponsor. Just like Cingular/AT&T and Alltel were grandfathered in when it was the Nextel/Sprint Cup. Bass Pro were only there because of Truex, since they’ve always sponsored him, they always had a small decal on his cars even when he was with MWR. I imagine they’ll go with him to the 19 as well as Auto Owners Insurance.

I hate my brain sometimes. I had a thought, and I don't know if it would fix anything or break things further. In the context of NASCAR at this moment, what would happen if they abolished the point system and ran solely on results? Wins matter most, then top 5s, 10s, and DNFs are detrimental. You can weave stage wins/5s/10s into it and make an even bigger mess.

I don't really care anymore, but this wouldn't leave me alone.

5 Hour’s days were numbered anyway since Monster didn’t want them in the sport. They were only allowed in because they signed their deal before Monster was announced as the series sponsor. Just like Cingular/AT&T and Alltel were grandfathered in when it was the Nextel/Sprint Cup. Bass Pro were only there because of Truex, since they’ve always sponsored him, they always had a small decal on his cars even when he was with MWR. I imagine they’ll go with him to the 19 as well as Auto Owners Insurance.

Not really the point, it doesn't matter why five hour left and such, the point is that they had a deal with FRR along with other sponsors so to say Visser wasn't good at making deals is far from true. Especially when the person you were arguing made no argument in the first place and just made silly suggestions that he passes off as serious. Also many drivers bring sponsors with them in many series, it's the nature of racing business for the past decade and more. I think you missed the point really.

Which is again it's a mixture of the business model that is causing issues like this, I don't see how you can blame it all on

I think the biggest factor in the downfall of Furniture Row is the changing landscape of sponsorship deals. Fewer sponsors feel the need to sponsor racing and the ones that do tend to prefer partnerships where they get a much more direct ROI. If you look at the teams that are always sitting good they're usually sponsorships that have been around forever or they are deals that affect things with the owner's business interests outside of racing (mainly, car dealerships).

Sponsors don't really care much about a driver's on-track talent anymore, they want a charismatic spokesman who just happens to be a race car driver. That's the reason why the 88 was having to turn away sponsors when Junior was driving it when other, better performing teams were struggling to get anyone on their car for a full year.

It's becoming more prevalent in all motorsports, but it's especially so in NASCAR because of how much face time a popular driver will get regardless of where they finished.

Chase Elliott has officially won the 2018 NASCAR Most Popular Driver Award.

IMG_3347.jpg

We got our ticket renewal notice for Chicagoland this weekend. After some thought, we decided not to renew them this year.

We'll still probably head down there and get tickets for the Cup race, but we didn't want to buy tickets for all 4 races that weekend when we usually end up only going Sunday and giving the others away.

Huh, that came out of nowhere. Definitely wasn’t expecting a new team to buy that charter. But looking at their driver roster, there’s one name that seems most eligible, and that’s my favourite driver, Mr. Cassill. Fingers crossed, since almost anything is better than that Starcom 00.

Either that or he’ll replace Chastain at JD in Xfinity, which would at least give him a chance to put some top 10s on the board.

Last edited:
And so begins his decline into mid-pack irrelevance. At least it increases the odds of him trying the double again.

He’ll do about as well as he did when he drove the 78 (aka mid-pack and irrelevant). Rumour is this will be his last full time season in Cup anyway, so he’ll probably go do other things.

Has there been an official announcement on Jamie McMurray yet? I know he was offered a ride for the Daytona 500 next year and not long ago a #40 car for Speedweeks was leaked.

So is SHR only going to have 3 cars in 2019?

Kurt in the #1 will either be a mid-pack car, or he will show Larson that one can win with a CGR car if they keep it off the wall.

Back