2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
Apparently Jay Robinson is involved with the new Spire #77, and suddenly any optimism I had about a new team showing up has disappeared...

Im sure NASCAR is tossing some money to these start up teams. Just trying to avoid another embarrassing season of less than full fields which made their "charter" system look foolish as it was. Plus with more field fillers they will be able to manipulate the races with late race spins instead of the dreaded phantom debris caution

The video's not really related to anything in particular, but the current cars would look so good on 18" wheels like they used here.

3 things: 1. This really should be the standard NASCAR wheel/tire combo (with the requisite Goodyear lettering)
2. Vaughn should build a 3rd Mustang for Joey to run in between NASCAR events, and in fact, I just grew a bit more respect for Logano now.
3. The Mustang actually doesn't look terrible now. Then again, it could just be wheels, tires, paint.

Well that explains why Loganos victory celebrations are as spectacular as they are.

59D37F6E-0975-4188-BCFE-170BEB86C758.png

6F1DC6B8-A97E-4048-842E-9FE48ECEC7C4.jpeg

Looks like the #31 will be taking a hiatus this year, joining the #5 , #25 and #28 as numbers that will be off-limits for anyone else due to their history. Still think the 88 should’ve been renumbered the 5 or 25 when Bowman took it over since the 88 doesn’t really mean anything.

Cessna also has joined RCR, one less sponsor for Kurt. It’s unclear what McDonald’s plans are. I don’t really see them meshing with Kurt either.

Also guess I’m the only one who thinks those big wheels look idiotic. Look about as “good” as spinners on an Escalade.

Last edited:
These bigger wheels open up the opportunity to put more color and pizzazz to the overall livery and, crucially, to the attendance gate receipts. Wow the fans with outlandish and controversial new liveries: faux flashy wires for a pimpmobile, wooden spokes for a covered wagon motif. :rolleyes:

View attachment 786619
View attachment 786622
Looks like the #31 will be taking a hiatus this year, joining the #5 , #25 and #28 as numbers that will be off-limits for anyone else due to their history. Still think the 88 should’ve been renumbered the 5 or 25 when Bowman took it over since the 88 doesn’t really mean anything.

Cessna also has joined RCR, one less sponsor for Kurt. It’s unclear what McDonald’s plans are. I don’t really see them meshing with Kurt either.

Also guess I’m the only one who thinks those big wheels look idiotic. Look about as “good” as spinners on an Escalade.

What history? Mike Skinner? #88 had way more history

What history? Mike Skinner? #88 had way more history

31’s always been the 2nd Childress car, back to Neil Bonnett. It’s not that it has a history of success, I just don’t think anyone else will use it out of respect, just like no one else uses the 28 out of respect for Yates (if the Ranier ARCA team ever moves up it’ll use the 28 though since the original Ranier team ran the 28 before Yates bought it ). 88 has plenty of history but not with Hendrick. 5 was their original number so it’s strange they stopped using it.

It makes sense why Hemric is running the 8 though, with its Kannapolis/Earnhardt roots.

Last edited:
31’s always been the 2nd Childress car, back to Neil Bonnett. It’s not that it has a history of success, I just don’t think anyone else will use it out of respect, just like no one else uses the 28 out of respect for Yates (if the Ranier ARCA team ever moves up it’ll use the 28 though since the original Ranier team ran the 28 before Yates bought it ). 88 has plenty of history but not with Hendrick. 5 was their original number so it’s strange they stopped using it.

It makes sense why Hemric is running the 8 though, with its Kannapolis/Earnhardt roots.

Newman and Burton, hardly a famous combo.

There's more to it: Neil Bonnet and this.
W189635215-2.jpg

I actually have this diecast somewhere. Got it from a shop in NC some time before the recession. That said, it does seem a bit suspicious that the classic numbers are disappearing and being replaced with newer ones
That's the car that decimated the catchfence at Talladega in 93 or 94. It's a great looking car, though.

There's more to it: Neil Bonnet and this.
W189635215-2.jpg

I actually have this diecast somewhere. Got it from a shop in NC some time before the recession. That said, it does seem a bit suspicious that the classic numbers are disappearing and being replaced with newer ones

I need that for my collection.

Formula 1 Champion To Race In NASCAR In 2019

...okay, it's Jacques Villeneuve racing in the Euro Series. And he may not race the entire season. I'm sorry I clickbaited you.
(I'm not sorry)

That said, the Euro Series' version of "playoffs" makes far more sense, since it's just awarding double points for the last two rounds and not actually excluding anyone from possibly winning the championship. Also, the joker race format (toss out your lowest scoring race to determine final points) is logical and lets a driver recover from a bad weekend. But I guess under those rules you could still have a zero-win champion, which we all know is the greatest sin in motorsports, so can't have that over here no no no.

Both Ganassi and Roush are closing their Xfinity teams. Ganassi actually had a full season of funding, but that went away when the CEO of DC Solar got in serious trouble with the IRS. Roush's issues have been well documented so that closure isn't a surprise.

Both Ganassi and Roush are closing their Xfinity teams. Ganassi actually had a full season of funding, but that went away when the CEO of DC Solar got in serious trouble with the IRS. Roush's issues have been well documented so that closure isn't a surprise.

Sucks for Chastain since he had the contract signed. I imagine he’ll end up racing full time in Cup for Premium/Spire instead, just filling the field.

3 less Xfinity teams in operation (16, 42, 60) and I bet you Annett will not make the playoffs again :lol: man what ever happened to 2012 Annett? He scored a 5th in Xfinity points that year.

3 less Xfinity teams in operation (16, 42, 60) and I bet you Annett will not make the playoffs again :lol: man what ever happened to 2012 Annett? He scored a 5th in Xfinity points that year.
My guess is he actually had money and a functional team then

Auto Owners (8) and Bass Pro Shops (24) will be sponsoring Truex for 32 races this year. I can't help but wonder if there may be something to the theories that Visser was forced out by Gibbs as it seems like the announcement was made rather soon when they were only short 6 races. :odd:

Back