2018 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 1,284 comments
After seeing the replay I kind of feel bad for Dillon. It looked like every other crash today, but you know people will act like he did it on purpose even though he had nowhere to go.

At least Bubba ran good and finished second.

That's about the only positive thing to come out of it. Hopefully the team manages to stay afloat for the entire season.

That’s my beef with plate tracks. You don’t need talent. Just be in the right place at the right time. It’s not real racing.
Exclude that for a moment.

The ridiculous blocking and the intentional contact to win. I cannot watch a series that allows that garbage.

So skip races a part of the season? No. I'd rather follow a whole season. Purposefully skipping races is stupid. This is what they promote as their biggest race and it was a farce.

In fairness, the sport has been a farce with so many gimmicks and stupid ideas. Hell the payout for some of the lower series races has been abyssmal.

I wonder how Tony Stewart feels about his driver blocking?

I can't even process how so many fans that claim to have cheered for Dale Sr for thirty years can give Dillon so much crap over aggressive late race driving in the race that meant more to Big E than any other race. Dale Sr would have turned his teammate to win that race.

To me, the constant blocking was the worst part of the race. A lot of people got away with it way too many times, until the patience went away at the end of the stages.

So skip races a part of the season? No. I'd rather follow a whole season. Purposefully skipping races is stupid. This is what they promote as their biggest race and it was a farce.

Believe me I agree. I’m glad there are only limited plate races because the areo packages and racing is stupid.

The camera that they’ve used for the Blaney interview makes it look like we’ve gone back 20 years.
I thought I was watching the music video for "Loser" by Beck.

Dillon had nowhere to go. It was either slow up and give up the win, or give Almirola the push (which spun him out).

It was either slow up and give up the win,.

...And likely cause yet another big crash behind him due to the accordion effect.

And before anyone says it, had Dillon moved back up the track he likely still would have spun Almirola since he had such a big run on him. The only difference is he would have spun towards the infield likely collecting at least Hamlin in the process.

Good things from the race:
Blaney dominating but falling back late.
Wallace Jr. finishing 2nd.
Nearly saw Gaughan, DeBennedetto and Buescher leading.
Bad things from the race:
Too many crashes.
Too many penalties.
Spin and win didn't look good.

In really taking this all in, this race is yet another reflection of what kind of people NASCAR is trying to appeal to and what they think is the answer to bring fans back. When you really look at the stages, the chase, the playoffs and even the new Pit road changes (which were done to "Create Drama and excitement"), NASCAR is about making this a show. No where is this more present then at Restrictor plate races and even more so today with the barely new changes for the cars (apart from the Camaro) and the banning of adjusting ride Height. Its less about actual racing and more about forcing a result through an idiotic series of decisions and gimmicks. I was watching a video not too long ago and the first thing that sprung to m,ind was what Carl Edwards said in 2009 after the Talladega race when he mentioned "NASCAR puts us in this box". When you take into consideration them forcing the drivers to race through the stages and stage points AND the tight no passing below yellow line rules, that applies so much to today's race and restrictor plate racing in general (hell, even racing throughout the schedule).

That last lap itself was a product of this and it just so happens this allowed Fox (and NASCAR more importantly) to cement the Dale Earnhardt coat riding they've been doing for the last 20 years. Austin could have moved to the outside but from what I'm seeing and observed repeatidly, he still would've turned Almarola the way that run was going and if he would've backed off, not only would he have not been able to come back but he would've caused a yet another massive pileup. There was no other way that race was gonna end other then THAT kind of pass. You want to really blame anyone, Blame NASCAR for making This "Box" that every driver has to comply to. Blame NASCAR For making what has to be the biggest BS of an scripted action flick since literally anything Micheal Bay has made (just with less explosions). Blame them for the NASCAR you see now and not the NASCAR you used to see, the one that was rough and tumble because the drivers were and not because NASCAR made a heavy-handed narrative that drivers, teams AND broadcasters have to comply to. The WWE jokes and comparisons are there for a reason: Because this isn't a sport, its a show. Its not a racing series, its a television series with a season that is too long and has gone way past the point of overstaying its welcome. Doesn't matter how much money gets flushed down the toilet and no matter how close anyone gets to being hurt or injured or even actually getting injured, its all part of this action drama. Lost someone to cancer or got someone fighting Cancer? More drama to the narrative. Lost a Pit Crew Member? More Narrative. Got a team owner that is hospitalized and in a condition that may be in a critical (thankfully, that didn't play out), more narrative.

Only reason I'm even willing to still watch is due to both Darrell Wallace Jr being the breath of fresh air this sport so badly needs and because the recently appointed Truck series General Manager Ben Kennedy, who from what I hear is being groomed with the goal of replacing Brian France (which is a telling sign in the France Family).

the barely new changes for the cars (apart from the Camaro)

Even that’s just last year’s SS in a not-so-clever disguise. For Pete’s sake, the quarter windows simply have vinyl on them to change their shape.

Even that’s just last year’s SS in a not-so-clever disguise. For Pete’s sake, the quarter windows simply have vinyl on them to change their shape.

IIRC the greenhouses on the gen. 6 cars are standardized, so they couldn’t change that area.

Really disappointing ratings for the 500:

NBC was also not broadcasting Olympic programming during the race.

Just got home from the Daytona trip.

Having attended the races I must disagree with many here and say both Saturday & Sunday races (we don't have tickets for Friday trucks) were among the best races I have seen since we started going down there in 2000.

Just got home from the Daytona trip.

Having attended the races I must disagree with many here and say both Saturday & Sunday races (we don't have tickets for Friday trucks) were among the best races I have seen since we started going down there in 2000.
Got any pictures to share?

Got any pictures to share?

I have a couple on my phone from pre-race. Didn't get to take any during the race, my phone doesn't do fast action shots very well.

I'll try to put them up here later tonight or tomorrow.

Denny getting to hot water with the new kids, what else is new (apart from Trevor not being in a wreck).

Denny is one of those guys where every time I start to like him, he blows it. Bubba did pretty much the same thing Denny did in 2016 to win the race, the only difference is Martin was smart enough to not turn into him like Denny did to Bubba.

A few pics from Daytona, starting with a panoramic from our seats. In previous years we sat at pit exit, this year we decided to try pit entrance.

Pre-race festivities:

This year we entered through the Toyota gate. (each manufacturer has their own gate and display area inside the track) Whoever had the idea to put in the escalators during the track renovation had the best idea ever.

Back