2018 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

Damn, I enjoyed watching that Wilson move. If he had 2/3 more laps of fuel, I don't think Power would have caught him.

Not gonna lie, I wanted Wilson to win so bad when he had the chance to do so.

Well deserved win for Power though, shame about Sato.

Congrats to Power, I was hoping Ed would find a way but he's a deserving winner for sure. I also wanted to believe Harvey and Wilson could make it to the end just because epic story but knew it was too good to be true.

It was a pretty good race. Wasn't really pulling for anyone in particular, just wanted to see a good race/finish. I was not disappointed.

It was a good race, but I miss the closer racing that we've had the last couple of years. Maybe next year give the cars a little more downforce so they can hold it flat in the corners. But that's just my opinion.

This was a very odd race, so many single-car accidents with some of the most talented drivers falling victim to sudden oversteer. Seemed like the cars tended to be tight in the corners, but if someone adjusted theirs a little too far to the loose side, then it was like Wile E. Coyote falling off the proverbial cliff.

It was a good race, but I miss the closer racing that we've had the last couple of years. Maybe next year give the cars a little more downforce so they can hold it flat in the corners. But that's just my opinion.
They need enough of the right kind of downforce so they can follow more closely coming off the corners, but not so they can hold it flat going in. Indycar has plans to increase the horsepower from the current ~750 to 900 and well beyond. They will have the power to spin the tires in any corner - and for a fair ways down the straights. Mark Donohue, Roger Penske's first Indy 500 winner, said he wanted so much power he could spin the tires all the way to the next corner!

I will offer a few brief musings on the 2018 Indy 500.

* This race had a great deal of drama, as is the case usually at Indianapolis. Despite this, I'm proud for Will Power to win the Indianapolis 500. Will Power had the power to power his way to a victory on IndyCar's (to paraphrase the WWE) "Grandest Stage of Them All."

* I hated that Danica Patrick's final race ended up in a wreck. I've always loved Danica. Heck, I thought she could be huge when I saw her race in Toyota Atlantics before stepping up to IndyCar. I don't really watch much NASCAR anymore, so I couldn't monitor her NASCAR career. Even when others kept hating on her or taking cheap shots at her, I believed and kept believing. Congratulations on a great career to one Danica Sue Patrick.

* I was equally bummed for the likes of Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanaan getting into trouble.

* What has always mystified me about the Indy 500 is just the average speed of these cars around Indy. I mean... averages of about 228 mph (or about 367 kph)!

All in all, it was a great race. However, no rest for the weary and not enough time to celebrate because not one, but TWO races are coming up when Belle Isle in Detroit hosts another fine race there. MoTown motorsports action coming up. You know Chevrolet doesn't want to disappoint with GM's headquarters a hop, skip, and a jump away from Belle Isle. All you folks in MoTown (or HockeyTown) get ready for some more insane IndyCar action this coming weekend!

Yo, MoTown! You ready for IndyCar this weekend? No rest for the weary as IndyCar is back at it this weekend with a pair of races around Belle Isle in Detroit.

Good luck to all drivers and teams this weekend.

I completely forgot this weekend was a doubleheader. Was the race interesting today?

Eh... I guess it was OK. There wasn't a whole lot of on-track action and strategy was the big key today. Tomorrow might be crazy because of a threat for rain during the race, but who knows? Indycar might call the race early before it becomes a repeat of what happened at Barber.

ndycar might call the race early before it becomes a repeat of what happened at Barber.

Firestone brought a new rain tire, so hopefully they won't have to do that (guessing Detroit also doesn't have the drainage issues Barber has).

If ABC means "Always Bad Coverage" to you, guess what? This is the final race to air on ESPN/ABC this season. So one more time with ABC as the second race of this Detroit doubleheader happens today. And I slso believe this is the last time ESPN/ABC shows IndyCar racing since NBC is taking over full time after today. So enjoy today's race!

And once again, good luck to all drivers and teams today.

Who let Grosjean drive the pace car? :rolleyes: Dumping it in the first turn as you do...
Can't say I've actually seen a pace car wreck on live TV before.

EDIT: If only it was a Mustang pace car.

... But I have a bad feeling I'm very wrong there

In a perfect world.

Conspiracy time :D - The pace car driver was paid by ABC to crash so the network could milk out more commercial time/ad revenue as they've got nothing to lose with their contract out at the end of the season...Talk amongst yourselfs... :P

So I was gonna say at least this means ABC is getting all the Ads out of the way... But I have a bad feeling I'm very wrong there

There will be fewer commercials, but the catch is that time will be filled with interviews about what happened at Indy while ignoring the race going on in the background.

Conspiracy time :D - The pace car driver was paid by ABC to crash so the network could milk out more commercial time/ad revenue as they've got nothing to lose with their contract out at the end of the season...Talk amongst yourselfs... :P

I doubt that since the longer the race goes on the less time they have to talk about the NBA Finals.

Who let Grosjean drive the pace car? :rolleyes: Dumping it in the first turn as you do...
Can't say I've actually seen a pace car wreck on live TV before.

EDIT: If only it was a Mustang pace car.

Never seen anything like this before. Of course it had to be a Corvette, and right in Detroit's backyard. Why couldn't it be a Ford? Someone take that guy's license. Glad all are ok though. That looked like a rough hit.

Someone take that guy's license. Glad all are ok though. That looked like a rough hit.

Apparently it was Mark Reuss, who happens to be GM's head of product development, if that doesn't inspire confidence nothing will. :scared:

I doubt that since the longer the race goes on the less time they have to talk about the NBA Finals.

Ahh, but see people will tune in at 6PM expecting the NBA, but instead will have to watch the end of the Indy race - hence even more eye balls on Indy's ad heavy broadcast. :P

Latest Posts

Back