2018 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 2,549 comments
One thing I’m a little worried about is MSR not having the number of workers to be able to have run the team running at a decent level. Although it’s great to see a new team join the fray, I’d rather have Hazelwood driving for a decent team than one stuck near the rear.
I'd imagine that was something they would have evaluated when they ran Hazelwood as a wildcard this year. I wonder if they'd use people from the TCM side of things to bolster their main game crew too (unless they are the same people already).

Looking forward to see which 'young gun' gets the leg up next season.
Le Brocq, Stanaway, de Pasquale, Hazelwood, Golding and sort of Heimgartner (although he has a head start in a sense). Should be good.

23-Red-640x452.png

https://www.speedcafe.com/2017/12/08/23red-racing-reveals-livery-naming-rights-partner/

I wonder if Andretti is looking af Chevrolet, as the new manufacturer.
http://www.hsv.com.au/hsv/2017/home/en/

Just going off of this article after the announcement was made. Chevrolet seems unlikely.
Walkinshaw reiterated that the squad has no plans to run a Chevrolet Camaro in Supercars.

“No, that’s not a long-term goal or plan (to run a Camaro),” said Walkinshaw.

“We’ve been pretty open and honest that, as it stands today, our ideal situation will be to continue running Holdens next year, but there will be a renewed focus from myself and Michael (Andretti) to go and search for a new manufacturer going forward.

Last edited:
It's a shame they wrote it off straight away. True, Mustang didn't need Supercars to race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Camaro won't either. However, would show continuity if they ran it in GT3(doubt any team would abandon Porsche for Chevy) and GT4.
I honestly don't think the Camaro will sell anywhere near the amount as the Mustang. Cost will be the main factor with the addition of left-to-right conversion. This maybe why they're not considering the Camaro as it will probably be a far more niche market, much like the Mustang was before it got the full from-the-factory conversion which nearly halved the price.

True. Will be interesting to see how it all develops.
Not as bad as I thought and much better than what they are now, but still more than the Mustang.:)

The bad news is pricing is still to be confirmed but is expected to start close to $80,000.

That will make HSV’s Camaro SS cheaper than versions already offered in Australia by a number of local converters, but about $20K pricier than its most direct rival, Ford’s Mustang GT Fastback (from $57,490).

Source:
https://www.motoring.com.au/official-chevrolet-camaro-for-australia-110117/

A Camaro in Supercars would be dumb. It would be a better investment to place it in GT3. That way it would get much more exposure rather than being limited to a national formula.

IF, literally a big if, there are 8 Mustangs on the grid, sure would make a strong case for the Camaro buyers.

On the flip, I tell you, I'm excited if Jag, Alfa, BMW(premium brands) are among those being sought out.

IF, literally a big if, there are 8 Mustangs on the grid, sure would make a strong case for the Camaro buyers.

On the flip, I tell you, I'm excited if Jag, Alfa, BMW(premium brands) are among those being sought out.
I would go mad if Jaguar came back to Australian touring cars with Walkinshaw.

Jaguar said a while back that they have no interest in Supercars. Which makes sense considering the racing that they getting involved with (Formula E and their Formula E support series).

Jaguar said a while back that they have no interest in Supercars. Which makes sense considering the racing that they getting involved with (Formula E and their Formula E support series).
I think the offer at the time was for BJR to run Jags using a debadged Holden engine.

It's a shame they wrote it off straight away. True, Mustang didn't need Supercars to race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Camaro won't either. However, would show continuity if they ran it in GT3(doubt any team would abandon Porsche for Chevy) and GT4.

It's completely separate I'm guessing from their Supercar team but if WAU are able to lure another manufacturer into the series. Interesting to see if it has any impact on the Walkinshaw GT3 program with the 911.

It's completely separate I'm guessing from their Supercar team but if WAU are able to lure another manufacturer into the series. Interesting to see if it has any impact on the Walkinshaw GT3 program with the 911.
A Panemera in Supercars?:lol:

That's what I was getting at with continuity. As if AMG stayed with Erebus. They'd have the E63, AMG GT GT3 and maybe GT4, also a possibly Mercedes Ute.

Walkinshaw could still run the 911 and do a Passat or Arteon or an Audi for VASC. Wakinshaw said he has close ties with a dozen manufacturers. Erebus, DJRTP, PRA, BJR and GRM in the past, proved T8 can't dominate every race. Maybe new manufacturers will see they can win, with the right team.

GRM ZB Commoodres being built

IMG_7998-800x600.jpg

IMG_7996-800x600.jpg

Gotta love this guy
“It’ll be interesting to see with the ZB, I suppose history sort of says - and it doesn’t mean they can’t mess it up - that when each [new model] comes they tend to find some sort of improvement or find something somewhere.

“I would like to think that we certainly won’t be going backwards racing the ZB, it’d be disappointing if that is the case, we’ll have to wheel out the VF’s again!”

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/nissan-to-change-early-season-approach/

I'm not falling for the banana in the tailpipe. After NISMO conceded that they didn't take V8SC seriously, that was their time to step up. Changing the aero, plunking $1mil into development, wasn't enough. NISMO needed to make some internal changes and start snatching some people that know how to improve the team. I feel Todd hindered the team a bit, by not seeking to change the engines sooner. He felt they invested too much into the VK56 and didn't want to through it away. Maybe next year's engine could have been a VR and had the power they required straight away.

I want them to stay in the game, but Scott Sinclair seems like his hands are tied by the Kelly Brothers. Hope this new Nissan CEO can convince Japan to keep the lights on. Or look for a new team.

On another subject, haven't seen word of the VASC DJRTP meeting.

Not sure if Holden can get away with this anyway since the regulations allow the current cars up to 2021. Also would they be keen on losing team support for their brand by alienating them? Sounds more like a pitch that likely won't go through, after either team backlash or Supercars downright saying No.

Not sure if Holden can get away with this anyway since the regulations allow the current cars up to 2021. Also would they be keen on losing team support for their brand by alienating them? Sounds more like a pitch that likely won't go through, after either team backlash or Supercars downright saying No.
The VASC regulations allow for any engine available by the manufacturer. I believe Holden could stop teams using the V8, for they aren't obligated to cater to VASC. Holden are the ones supporting T8.
Now, in the case of Erebus & PRA/DJRTP, if teams are allowed to use the ZB shape, as Erebus can use the E63 and PRA/DJRTP the FG X, that's a different story. However, it appears, from this initial report, Holden are not going to allow it.

Unless Holden pulls a Volvo and plans to take the teams Holden equipment away from them which will lead to massive issues, I don't see it fully happening.

Like they reported, the engines may be on lease. Plus, teams will have to get the engines from Holden. WAU already saw this coming, hence the look for a new manufacturer. We'll see how it plays out.

Latest Posts

Back