2018 World Rally ChampionshipRally 

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/meeke-dropped-citroen-safety-crashes-1041248/

Meeke has been booted out of Citroen due to his magnetic attraction to trees.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. He clearly struggles to cope under pressure, which we've seen manifest itself in taking big risks, often ending in equally big crashes.

I'm guessing this means there's an opening for a full time seat for Østberg now. Unless Citroën has some young talent hidden up their sleeve waiting for a seat.

Not surprising.

What about Lafebre? Or is he staying in WRC2 this year?

Potential for Paddon or Sordo to move over to citreon if Hyundai won’t give them a full ride?

Apparantly Hyundai and Toyota want Meeke to crash their cars

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/136396/hyundai-and-toyota-interested-in-signing-meeke

Hyundai, Toyota interested in signing axed WRC Citroen driver Meeke

The Hyundai and Toyota World Rally Championship teams have both expressed interest in signing axed Citroen driver Kris Meeke.

The Northern Irishman was dropped by Citroen last week for what the team described as an "excessively high number of crashes", in the wake of a violent shunt on Rally Portugal.

Meeke was unavailable for comment when contacted by Autosport earlier this week, but sources close to the 38-year-old have said he is angry and upset at Citroen's decision.

His chances of finding a way back into the WRC this season are remote, but there could be openings for 2019 when the driver market starts to move at the end of this season.

Hyundai's Alain Penasse said he thought Meeke still had plenty to offer in the WRC. "For the moment there's no contact [with Meeke], but it depends on how the driver market is," said Penasse.

"There's no doubt that Kris Meeke is a driver who can win WRC events; he is very fast, but very inconsistent - we have seen this throughout his career which is going up and down.

"He's got the speed and he's not somebody you would have sitting on the bench.

"He's like Jari-Matti Latvala: a driver who's not so consistent, but will win you one or two rallies a year.

"We consider all drivers, especially guys who are free and on the market. It's a bit early now, but we have to see what happens."

Penasse said Citroen's improved form in 2018 meant the vacant seat was likely to attract attention for '19, including from the likes of Dani Sordo and Hayden Paddon - who are splitting outings in Hyundai's third i20 across this season.

"I can imagine there's going to be some interest in Citroen [and Meeke's seat] now," he said.

"Last year Citroen wasn't really a danger, but now they have good results and I'm sure drivers will consider them.

"We have Dani and Hayden on limited programmes and if you offered another year of seven rallies against a full programme with Citroen, they would probably be quite interested in that.

"I don't think those guys will be happy to share a car again."

Meeke was involved in lengthy negotiations and was offered a deal by Toyota in 2015 before he decided to commit to Citroen.

Prior to news of Meeke's departure last week, Toyota team principal Tommi Makinen said he would be interested in talking to Meeke about a potential future deal.

M-Sport Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson told Autosport it was "sad" the WRC was losing a rally winner and a British driver "when we're making such good strides with rallying in this country".

But added he was "very happy" with his driver line-up when asked if he would be interested in Meeke.

Neuville beats Ogier by 0.7 seconds, passed him on the last stage after a slow grind from Saturday onwards. Exactly the same as Argentina last year. So, I think we can safely say if he wins this championship he will have done it on merit. Another bloody good rally.

I like tarmac events, I vote on San Remo!
And Neuville won without any type of advantage. Ogier was actually happy to be fighting in plain level.
When was the last time that the champion was not a french? rsrsrsrs

Lets see if Neuville will be a non french champion in a while. hehehehe
And Meeke crashes, but he is fast. Everybody says that it is easier to make a fast driver to stop crashing than making a cautious driver to win rallies.

Petter Solberg in 2003 if I remember correctly, so quite a while.

So sad there been so few world champions, we can thank the idiotic super rally rule that allows someone who gone off the road to restart. in 2006 and 2009 Loeb would loose the championship to Grönholm and Hirvonen.

Super rally is good for new drivers because they can continue to get experience.
But it is really strange when a driver that crashed starts to get points from other drivers that did not retire.

Don’t forget the 2003? rule change that forbade more than 2 entries per factory team, effectively forcing out some of the sport’s biggest established stars such as McRae.

Don’t forget the 2003? rule change that forbade more than 2 entries per factory team, effectively forcing out some of the sport’s biggest established stars such as McRae.

I think it was to cut cost for teams, because in 2004 they switched from 14 to 16 rounds. Also I still wonder why Mcrae didn´t get a seat with Subaru (Mikko Hirvonen who was very young and inexperienced got that seat)

I think it was to cut cost for teams, because in 2004 they switched from 14 to 16 rounds. Also I still wonder why Mcrae didn´t get a seat with Subaru (Mikko Hirvonen who was very young and inexperienced got that seat)

I remember hearing at the time that the Chris Atkinson seat was the one up for grabs, but McRae was too expensive.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/137183/japan-chile-now-both-set-for-19-wrc-rounds

So Corsica will be gone makes me wonder what will happen with Sardinia? Consider the huge complaint of lack of fans because it is on an island will they return to San Remo? Seems to make sense if Corsica gets removed or else we will only have 1 pure asphalt round. I really look forward to this change, if Chile and Japan returns next year on the calendar we will have 6 events of 14 outside of Europe. I also think because so many new events next year Ogier will stay and not retire.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/138815/meeke-on-toyota-radar-for-2019-wrc-return

Oh please god no! I wish this was an April fools joke, take Tidemand instead of this dinosaur who´s only accompishments been to crash
I heard this during the Turkey broadcast, and was like “wuuut??? :confused:“. Definitely don’t get it. I mean, I know he can be fast, but at what cost?

Meanwhile, rumours are that Lappi will be going to Citroen for 2019. They must have waved a pretty decent size cheque at him, as I don’t understand why he’d want to leav Toyota, other than to get out from under Tanak’s shadow. If he goes to Citroen though, he’ll just end up in Ogier’s shadow.

Still haven’t heard anything about Sordo, or Padden either - but I can’t imagine either of them wanting to go for this shared season type of deal again, neither seems happy with it. I think either could fit in at M-Sport, and I’d rather see either of them at Toyota instead of Meeke.

Seems risky given their current form, but maybe it needs someone like Ogier to turn their fortunes around.

(Check this post in a year's time to see if that statement holds true.)

Ogier complained about the lack of support from Ford. Toyota has Tanak and Hyundai has Neuville, so Citroen is the only team left.

Neuville showing once again how not to win the title in the fastest car. Ott's comeback is one of the most insane things I've seen in motorsport.

Indeed, perhaps a risky signing by Toyota, but here's hoping the year out for Meeke has helped him look at the error of his ways and where he was going wrong in seasons gone by. As otherwise, Meeke has shown he's a quick driver, just needs the consistency to go with it...

The 2019 Calendar confirmed:

autosport
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/139350/wrc-14round-calendar-for-2019-given-green-light

The FIA has announced a 14-round World Rally Championship calendar for the 2019 season.

The schedule was confirmed at Friday's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council, which took place in Paris.

As revealed by Autosport, Japan has lost the slot it held on WRC Promoter's draft calendar, with Corsica now confirmed in its place.

But the 2019 WRC season will feature a new round next season, with an event in Chile occurring in May a fortnight after the round in Argentina.

The season kicks off in Monte Carlo in January and will conclude 11 months later in Australia.

Japan and Kenya will both run candidate rallies in 2018 with an eye to WRC inclusion in '20.

WRC Promoter's Oliver Ciesla confirmed that the series is looking to spread further outside Europe in the future.

"We pursue a strategy to further globalise the championship by incorporating more events outside Europe," he said.

"Turkey successfully brought a WRC footprint back to the Asian continent and Chile will prove an equally worthy addition to the 2019 calendar.

"We're currently experiencing a surging demand from countries worldwide to join the WRC, which is a clear indication of its increasing popularity.

"We want to continue to develop the series over the next years and explore important new markets."

The FIA has confirmed that there will be a new WRC2 Pro series for registered manufacturers.

A drivers', co-drivers' and manufacturers' WRC2 Pro title will be awarded, leaving the WRC2 award for private crews. The WRC3 category has been abandoned for 2019.

Factory World Rally drivers are also now able to select their own permanent numbers for competition next season, while the number of test days available to manufacturer teams will be reduced from 55km to 42km.

The maximum number of competitive kilometres available has been reduced from 500km to 350km.

2019 WRC calendar
Monte Carlo Rally January 24-27
Rally Sweden February 14-17
Rally Mexico March 7-10
Tour de Corse March 28-31
Rally Argentina April 25-28
Rally Chile May 9-12
Rally Portugal May 30-June 2
Rally Italy June 13-16
Rally Finland August 1-4
Rally Germany August 22-25
Rally Turkey September 12-15
Rally GB October 3-6
Rally Spain October 24-27
Rally Australia November 14-17

[quote/]

I think It´s a shame Japan didn´t got a slot over Corsica and Chile got picked over New Zealand. Obviously It´s all about money as Chile is laying close to Argentina and will mean cheap logistics.

Indeed, perhaps a risky signing by Toyota, but here's hoping the year out for Meeke has helped him look at the error of his ways and where he was going wrong in seasons gone by. As otherwise, Meeke has shown he's a quick driver, just needs the consistency to go with it...
I honestly don’t believe a year off will have made one ounce of difference to Meeke’s driving.

Self preservation alone should have made that change.

So Ogier takes the lead with 3 points but I gotta wonder if it is good to have championship lead with Australia up next which is notorious for road sweeping. Neuville need to have atleast 5 points more than Ogier, and because Ogier have 4 wins he can end up with same points as Neuville and still take the championship.

Back