2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
10 years ago I would have spent the whole day buzzing about the massive game but in all honesty it just feels a bit flat. Both teams have faultered greatly in the last few years to the point where it doesn't have that big game feel anymore. Even when United do play a team at the business end of the table it's less of an "excited for the match" and more of a "please don't hammer us" feeling.
I've got the game tonight courtesy of a NOW TV 1-month subscription (that got 3 F1 races :D) and they had what can only be described as a cinematic trailer for tonight's game yesterday, and I was thinking exactly the same thing... Wenger v Ferguson it most definitely ain't. Still, it should be a good match as both teams are not exactly dominating and it could go either way. (Jeez, some insightful analysis there!)

Thanks to Fantasy Football, I'm hoping for both a Man Utd clean sheet and an Aubameyang hattrick (?!), preferably with a Guendouzi assist or two and Maguire to score a couple at the other end.

It's weird, after all the club comments at the time of his death being about how he was a Cardiff player, that Cardiff would try to claim he wasn't a Cardiff player.

Had he already signed a contract or was he on his way over to sign a contract?

10 years ago I would have spent the whole day buzzing about the massive game but in all honesty it just feels a bit flat. Both teams have faultered greatly in the last few years to the point where it doesn't have that big game feel anymore. Even when United do play a team at the business end of the table it's less of an "excited for the match" and more of a "please don't hammer us" feeling.

It's happened throughout history. At various points in the past Derby vs Leeds, Preston vs Everton, Huddersfield vs Sheffield Wednesday and Wolves vs Spurs were the game on the calendar to look out for. It used to be Manchester United vs Arsenal too but... not the case any more.

Had he already signed a contract or was he on his way over to sign a contract?
Signed on 19th January, flew back to Nantes, died on the flight back to Cardiff on 21st January.

Signed on 19th January, flew back to Nantes, died on the flight back to Cardiff on 21st January.

Then I think that makes him a Cardiff player. I don't see where they are coming from claiming he wasn't.

Goal for VARbameyang!

To be fair, he was a mile on side...

edit: :lol: Gary Neville literally said that as I typed it!

Man United 1-1 Arsenal, fantastic goal from McTominay in the first half which came from a counter from an Arsenal corner, Aubameyang equaliser in the second half given via VAR after it was shockingly given offside.

Wasn't a great watch, much of the first half was pretty terrible and some of the second half was also pretty terrible, some good performances from both sides most notably young players like Tuanzebe and Saka, but overall it was a bad game from two teams whose decline in the last seven years has been frightening.

I was watching the second half, but boy, talk about mediocre football. Both teams (they aren't teams but alas) are not even Europa League worthy at this point. I can imagine how a proper fan of either team feels at the moment, when they have a problem with every 3rd or 4th ball played. Final passes that lead to nothing. It was just annoying to watch.

I actually have some hope for AZ coming Thursday. They play some decent (watchable) football at the moment, and Man U is just a wounded duck at this point.

Man United 1-1 Arsenal, fantastic goal from McTominay in the first half which came from a counter from an Arsenal corner, Aubameyang equaliser in the second half given via VAR after it was shockingly given offside.

Wasn't a great watch, much of the first half was pretty terrible and some of the second half was also pretty terrible, some good performances from both sides most notably young players like Tuanzebe and Saka, but overall it was a bad game from two teams whose decline in the last seven years has been frightening.

Bingo!! That's exactly what I predicted in the NBC game. I hit that one and Tottenham vs. Southampton exactly right. Overall I didn't do too bad I had Chelsea 2 Brighton 0 (3-0) Everton 1 Man City 3 (0-3). Leicester vs Newcastle was my worst miss at 2-0 (5-0). But nobody else claimed the $50,000 either for a perfect match for all 5 games.

I turned it off at halftime. Imagine playing football for 30 minutes without a shot from either teams.

Up early for work and wasn't going to make myself tired for such 🤬 football. Dissapointed in the way my team are playing right now.

I was watching the second half, but boy, talk about mediocre football. Both teams (they aren't teams but alas) are not even Europa League worthy at this point. I can imagine how a proper fan of either team feels at the moment, when they have a problem with every 3rd or 4th ball played. Final passes that lead to nothing. It was just annoying to watch.

I actually have some hope for AZ coming Thursday. They play some decent (watchable) football at the moment, and Man U is just a wounded duck at this point.

Ashley Young and Jesse Lingard wouldn't get on the Bournemouth team.

Delighted to say that correctly predicting the exact score has really helped me out in the predictor league I'm part of. 1-1 was a dead cert.

upload_2019-10-2_11-49-5.png

I know that football clubs are more than just the penpushers and douchebags in charge, but I hope this puts Cardiff out of business. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from a club that dared to elicit sympathy from the death of their player:

"Forever a Bluebird" my arse.

Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct for that tweet to Benjamin Mendy.

No massive surprise about the charge, seems to me that he needs sensitivity training.

Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct for that tweet to Benjamin Mendy.

No massive surprise about the charge, seems to me that he needs sensitivity training.

Seeing how everyone close to the 2 say that they are like close friends, I'd say people need to lighten up. If Mendy doesn't complain, why should there be a charge?

Seeing how everyone close to the 2 say that they are like close friends, I'd say people need to lighten up. If Mendy doesn't complain, why should there be a charge?

They shouldn't be any charge because people can not be offended for Mendy, no matter how much they want to be or try to be. However there was always going to be a charge and likely a ban of at least 4 games I would think. They is simply no way any possible instance of racism will be ignore or go unpunished because it'll create too much controversy that the FA can't be bothered to deal with. So the simple solution is to try to ban it all away of course, even when it's not racism, just a poor (and poorly thought out) joke between friends.

If you are close friends who joke like that all the time, it doesn't matter if it is in private or public. It's something between friends. The FA doesn't control their personal lives. Twitter is their personal life.

The FA doesn't control their personal lives. Twitter is their personal life.
But it's in the public domain, that's the important part. If it was a private Whatsapp message, it'd be "fine", but it wasn't, so it's punishable for going against the whole Kick it out slogans and stuff.

Stuff like this needs to be put into context. Simple as that. Now it is just a waste of resources. No feelings were hurt.

I should add that Guardiola is also likely to be charged and banned, maybe for longer than Bernardo because when he defended him he said some really dumb things, he even said words to the effect of well the pictures did look similar. Maybe they'll get lucky and the FA will suspend some part of their bans as long as they go on some course.

Games this weekend.

Saturday
Burnley v Everton
Brighton v Tottenham (12.30 BT)
Liverpool v Leicester
Norwich v Aston Villa
Watford v Sheffield United
West Ham v Crystal Palace (5.30 Sky)

Sunday
Arsenal v Bournemouth (2pm)
Man City v Wolves (2pm)
Newcastle v Man United (4.30 Sky)
Southampton v Chelsea (2pm Sky)

There is another International break following this weekend.

Hate being a United supporter right now, got a feeling the Newcastle game will be a 0-0.

Hate being a United supporter right now, got a feeling the Newcastle game will be a 0-0
I understand the whole "away in Europe a point being good" sort of thing but if we can't even register a shot on target in a group stage match what chances have we got in the knockout stages or if we got champions League football next season.

Newcastle need to prove a point after the start they've had and a win Vs Man United is a good one too.

I'm a little nervous about Liverpool. After giving up 3 goals at home this week to Salzburg and Leicester City coming in on pretty good form right now, Liverpool needs to take them very seriously.

So Tottenham lost to Brighton 3-0, and Lloris was stretchered off after seriously damaging his arm after an awkward landing.

Is Poch thinking about trying to get out of there? I'm sure he'd like Zidane's job at the moment.

So Tottenham lost to Brighton 3-0, and Lloris was stretchered off after seriously damaging his arm after an awkward landing.

Is Poch thinking about trying to get out of there? I'm sure he'd like Zidane's job at the moment.

How can a team go from beating the likes of Real Madrid & Dortmund, putting 6 past Everton & Leicester to this?
Even though I feel the board should of backed Poch more and done business early in the summer, he hasn't helped matters making little comments here and there. I thought Trippier was just having a dig at the club with his comments when he left, but it's starting to make sense now.

Todays Results

Brighton 3-0 Tottenham
Norwich 1-5 Aston Villa
Watford 0-0 Sheffield United
Liverpool 2-1 Leicester
Burnley 1-0 Everton

Going from bad to worse for Tottenham, Liverpool winner came from a penalty given via VAR in the 93rd minute! Three successive defeats for Norwich since beating Man City.

West Ham v Crystal Palace up next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back