2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
West Ham 0-1 Burnley
Sheffield United 1-0 Wolves
Man City 5-0 Newcastle
Brighton 1-3 Liverpool

I saw most of Manchester City running over Newcastle United today. I think I was watching up to about the 24th Minute, Man. City up 2-0 around that point. They'd tack on three more goals to win 5-0. So a good day for a Manchester City fan; not so much for a Newcastle United fan. When I poked around Twitter, I read Man. City became the first Premier League team in history to have five players score 10+ goals in a single season (Source: Bleacher Report Football). Very cool accomplishment, I'd say.
And they can still lose 9 games. ;) :lol:

Seriously though, when they do win, they are more likely to rack up higher scores, as they have more players scoring more often as the stat shows. No doubt they will improve their defence for next season and will be challenging again.

A lot may depend on how their appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport against being banned from European competitions for 2 years for breaching Financial Fair Play rules turns out. If they lose their appeal they could be losing some of their top players rather than adding more.

If they lose their appeal, I wouldn't mind Liverpool getting 'Liverpool Fan' De Bruyne should he not wish to miss out on playing in Europe for 2 years. ;) Then again I doubt Liverpool could afford him. :( :lol:

Everton 1-1 Southampton
Bournemouth 0-0 Tottenham
Aston Villa 0-3 Man United

More VAR drama for Tottenham, Harry Kane was clearly pushed by Josh King during a corner but the ref didn't give it and neither did VAR, Mourinho was fuming and rightly so, However Tottenham had ZERO shots on target during the game and I think Jose has made Spurs the most boring team in the league. Richarlison and Ings got the goals in the Everton-Southampton draw. Aston Villa actually started brightly against United and had some decent chances but couldn't capitalize and United grew into the game after a sluggish first 20 minutes. Bruno Fernandes got himself a debatable penalty which he then converted and Mason Greenwood put away a fantastic strike after some sloppy Villa defending just before half time. In the second half Paul Pogba scored his first league goal since April last year after a nicely worked corner routine from Fernandes.

Elsewhere Leeds moved one step closer to a return to the PL after a 5-0 thumping over Stoke and they now only need 7 points from their remaining 5 games.

Bruno Fernandes got himself a debatable penalty which he then converted
Glad you said that, as if anything Fernandez jumped into the defender.

Mason Greenwood put away a fantastic strike
He's on a good run and continues to score, good luck to the lad.

Villa looked very poor, and look like they have given up the fight. :( :rolleyes:

Bruno Fernandes got himself a debatable penalty
Debatable is a bit of an understatement, it's like the game was being refereed by the GT Sport penalty system.

Anyway, here's a story for @Liquid (happy birthday) La Liga are banning betting firm sponsorships from November. From the top two divisions, Real Sociedad are only team who won't be affected. Source

Games this weekend.

Saturday.

Norwich v West Ham (12.30 BT)
Watford v Newcastle (12.30 Amazon)
Liverpool v Burnley (3pm BT)
Sheffield United v Chelsea (5.30 Sky)
Brighton v Man City (8pm Sky)

Sunday.

Wolves v Everton (12pm Sky)
Aston Villa v Crystal Palace (2.15 Sky)
Tottenham v Arsenal (4.30 Sky)
Bournemouth v Leicester (7pm Sky)

Monday night.

Man United v Southampton (8pm Sky)

Quite an intriguing weekend with some big games at the bottom and in the race for the top four.

Have they owned up to it! Lots of people disputing the decisions, but did I miss someone 'official' saying they got it wrong, THREE TIMES. :eek: :banghead: :rolleyes:

VAR: Wrong penalty decisions in all Thursday games, Match of the Day told

Well I think the headline kind of admits admission. Not sure who from but VAR was wrong thats what at least MOTD was told?

Plus if you read the first paragrath its an official who says so.
"Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, a former referee working for the Premier League match centre told BBC Match of the Day."

This article looks like its the premier league that are admitting fault?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/202...-league-var-wrong-in-three-penalty-decisions/

https://www.google.com/search?q=var...1.69i57j0l7.6435j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jack Charlton, World Cup winner and Leeds United stalwart, dies aged 85
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...nd-leeds-united-stalwart-dies-aged-85-2910861

Sadly missed.

Last edited:
Wolves need to get themselves back in gear.

Turning up in the first half might help, it was only a matter of time until their luck ran out playing like this. You can't spend an entire season scoring most of your goals in the 2nd half and a number of them late on and earning lots of points from losing positions, as they have done so often this season.

:gtpflag:

Bale fell asleep during Madrid's game last night and Marca is having a fit over it. GOAT Madrid player.

VAR: Wrong penalty decisions in all Thursday games, Match of the Day told

Well I think the headline kind of admits admission. Not sure who from but VAR was wrong thats what at least MOTD was told?

Plus if you read the first paragrath its an official who says so.
"Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, a former referee working for the Premier League match centre told BBC Match of the Day."

This article looks like its the premier league that are admitting fault?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/202...-league-var-wrong-in-three-penalty-decisions/

https://www.google.com/search?q=var...1.69i57j0l7.6435j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I read the article linked a few times and read this "Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, a former referee told BBC Match of the Day." instead of "Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, a former referee working for the Premier League match centre told BBC Match of the Day." Thanks for pointing it out. :) I read it about 3-4 times too. :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

Well its been coming for what feels like ages but Norwich City are officially relegated from the Premier League, they needed a win over West Ham in the early game and they didn't come close, West Ham won 4-0 and Michail Antonio got all four goals!

Watford beat Newcastle in the other early game 2-1, two Troy Deeney penalties in the second half got Watford the win.

Wolves 3-0 Everton
Aston Villa 2-0 Crystal Palace
Tottenham 2-1 Arsenal
Bournemouth 4-1 Leicester

A lot to get through!

Everton were really poor in their defeat to Wolves. The first goal came from a Jimenez penalty right before half time before Dendoncker and Diogo Jota got Wolves the three points.

Massive win for Aston Villa, both goals came from Egyptian winger Trezeguet. Palace had a legit goal ruled out by VAR after hit hit Sakho's shoulder.

Spurs came from behind to win the north London derby, Lacazette put Arsenal ahead with a fantastic strike but a bad back pass from Kolasinac to Luiz put Son through to equalize and an Alderweireld header from a Spurs corner gave them the win.

Leicester led at half time thanks to Jamie Vardy but they collapsed big time in the second half, Josh King scored a penalty and then Solanke got his first Bournemouth goal within a minute plus Leicester had Soyuncu sent off after for kicking out at Kelly when he tried to retrieve the ball from the net, a Jonny Evans own goal and another from Solanke sealed the win as Leicester lost their heads and give Man United the advantage if they win tomorrow night. United could go up to third.

Wilfried Zaha was the victim of some horrific racist abuse on social media from a 'Villa fan' before the game, Villa have condemned it and so have the PL, Police have made an arrest and its a 12-year old boy!

Man City will find out tomorrow morning if they can take part in the Champions League as the CAS appeal verdict will be announced from 9.30am.

That Leicester/Bournemouth game was two completely different games in each half. Bournemouth were nowhere and looked like a totally relegated team in the first half. Then in the second half Leicester completely imploded. Very odd but fun game to watch.

Man United 2-2 Southampton.

Another bad start to the game by United led to Southampton taking the lead after we gave the ball away cheaply which led to Armstrong scoring, Rashford and Martial gave us the lead with some great bits of attacking play and Martial's goal was a great finish, it was 2-1 at half time but Southampton started to press more in the second half as we started to tire, the equalizer had been coming and it finally came in the 95th minute from a great Ward-Prowse corner which was bundled over by Obafemi.

Not a good performance tonight all and we would've gone up to third with a win but now we stay fifth but still in the Champions League place fight, it was also poor management from Ole who took off Pogba and Fernandes in the second half when Southampton were controlling the game, there was also a challenge from Romeu on Greenwood that could've easily been a sending off but the ref didn't spot it and nothing was given after a VAR check.

Feels like a loss.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday night.

Chelsea v Norwich (8.15 Sky)

Wednesday night.

Burnley v Wolves (6pm BBC)
Man City v Bournemouth (6pm Sky/Pick)
Newcastle v Tottenham (6pm BT)
Arsenal v Liverpool (8.15 Sky)

Thursday night.

Everton v Aston Villa (6pm Sky)
Leicester v Sheffield United (6pm Sky/Pick)
Crystal Palace v Man United (8.15 BT)
Southampton v Brighton (8.15 BT)

Friday night.

West Ham v Watford (8pm Sky)

A disspointing end to what wasn't a great second half. Well done Southampton getting the late equaliser, they kept pushing all the way to the end. Perhaps lucky to have 11 players on the pitch at half time and United unlucky to have 10 players on the pitch in extra time, but that's football.

If only we could have had that 4th substitution stoppage like Chelsea did on Friday.

Not a good performance tonight all and we would've gone up to third with a win but now we stay fifth but still in the Champions League place fight, it was also poor management from Ole who took off Pogba and Fernandes in the second half when Southampton were controlling the game, there was also a challenge from Romeu on Greenwood that could've easily been a sending off but the ref didn't spot it and nothing was given after a VAR check.

I agree, we've taking Bruno off 4 times since the restart and after taking him off have scored 0 goals. I'd have rathered keep him on and rested him against Chelsea than drop points tonight. If Ole thought the game was won at 2-1 that was very much an amature mistake and hopefully one he will learn from.

sloppy start, but with our first 11 on the pitch I feel like we're always capable of stepping up a gear when we need to. That was very much the case tonight, but once the subs started coming on we lost a lot of that. Although Martial deserved a second goal for that dribble and shot past several Southampton players from near the half way line.

Last edited:
Teams will still be allowed to make five substitutions next season, football lawmakers have announced following a meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB).

However it will be up each competition to decide whether they want to use five subs or not.

Teams will still be allowed to make five substitutions next season, football lawmakers have announced following a meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB).

However it will be up each competition to decide whether they want to use five subs or not.
Another rule favouring the bigger teams with larger squads and quality in depth. :( :rolleyes:

Burnley 1-1 Wolves
Man City 2-1 Bournemouth
Newcastle 1-3 Tottenham
Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool

Surprising defeat for Liverpool but a great win for Arsenal, some rare defensive mistakes at the back from Van Dijk and Alisson led to the goals scored by Lacazette and Nelson, Liverpool dominated though, this defeat means that Liverpool cant break any points records.

Hala Madrid!

Champions of La Liga after a 2-1 win against Villareal. Barcelona lost 1-2 home to Osasuna.

Everton 1-1 Aston Villa
Leicester 2-0 Sheffield United
Southampton 1-1 Brighton
Crystal Palace 0-2 Man United

Massive win for Leicester and Man United in the race for the Champions League, comfortable win for Leicester with Perez and Gray getting the goals, wasn't the best performance from United again tonight, goals came from the few bits of nice play United had and were scored by Rashford and Martial but Palace played well and were unlucky as they had a penalty and a very marginal goal both ruled out by VAR and the penalty should've been given, De Gea also kept us in it with some big saves but the result is huge. Leicester now on 63 points, Chelsea on 62 with United now on 62 but Chelsea have a better GD.

Heartbreak for Villa, they were dominating against Everton but Everton scored from the one shot on target they had in the 87th minute.

Everton 1-1 Aston Villa
Leicester 2-0 Sheffield United
Southampton 1-1 Brighton
Crystal Palace 0-2 Man United

Massive win for Leicester and Man United in the race for the Champions League, comfortable win for Leicester with Perez and Gray getting the goals, wasn't the best performance from United again tonight, goals came from the few bits of nice play United had and were scored by Rashford and Martial but Palace played well and were unlucky as they had a penalty and a very marginal goal both ruled out by VAR and the penalty should've been given, De Gea also kept us in it with some big saves but the result is huge. Leicester now on 63 points, Chelsea on 62 with United now on 62 but Chelsea have a better GD.

Heartbreak for Villa, they were dominating against Everton but Everton scored from the one shot on target they had in the 87th minute.
Chelsea is on 63 points, and Leicester and United are both on 62 points, but Leicester have a marginally better goal difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back