2019/20 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,313 comments

European Super League: Will it happen one day?

• Yes and I want it to happen

• Yes but I don't want it to happen

• Undecided

• No but I want it to happen

• No and I don't want it to happen

• I don't care about an ESL

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously very happy that Liverpool won, as it would have put a dampener on receiving the Premier League trophy if had they lost. :) A very good game, with some great goals. It's been a long time, but they won it in style.

If it were not for this virus I think some more records could have fallen, but the main thing was to win it. :) Just glad they were so far ahead, and the season could be restarted, and hopefully finished on Sunday. If anyone thinks there were a lot of fans when Liverpool did their trophy parade after last years Champions League win, what would have happened after this would have been a lot bigger. Fingers crossed they can do something in the near future when/if it is safe to do so.

View attachment 942890
As much as it pains me to see Liverpool lift the title it’s well deserved this season. After all these years waiting for a PL title the fans deserve something when the time is right for it to be done safely.

The Premier League and Championship 2020/21 seasons will both start on September 12th, the PL season will finish on May 23rd 2021 with the Championship finishing on May 8th-9th.

The transfer window opens next week.

I think Uniteds activity in the transfer window is going to be heavily dependent on if we get a win or draw against Leicester or if we lose and finish 5th ( although not guaranteed I will assume Chelsea will beat Wolves).

If we slip out of the top 4 we will lose a significant amount of sponsorship revenue due to being outside the Champions League 2 seasons in a row and we will miss out on the Champions League revenue that is greater than what you get for Europa League competition.

I think if we get top 4 and sign 3 players we will be in a good position next season. I think these players aren't as mentally strong as I'd like them to be. They are great on their day, but they look like they can bottle it under pressure. If we get top 4, strengthen a few key positions for next season (which we might not be able to do without top 4) then the players might go into next season with more self belief and we will have a stronger squad.

If we don't get top 4 then our Champions League qualification won't be decided for a few weeks, and I can't see is making several signings in a short space space of time. So top 4 this weekend is really important IMO.

Its probably been the longest league season ever but it all comes to a head tomorrow with the final day fixtures, still lots to play for and lots to be decided and here are the games.

Arsenal v Watford (Sky Sports Football)
Burnley v Brighton (Sky Sports Arena)
Chelsea v Wolves (Sky Sports Premier League)
Crystal Palace v Tottenham (Sky Sports Action)
Everton v Bournemouth (Sky Sports Golf)
Leicester v Man United (Sky Sports Main Event)
Man City v Norwich (Sky One/Pick)
Newcastle v Liverpool (BT Sport)
Southampton v Sheffield United (Sky Sports Mix)
West Ham v Aston Villa (BT Sport)

All games kick-off at 4pm GMT.

All eyes on the top four places and relegation tomorrow both will be decided, here are the permatations.

The Top Four.

3. Man United, 63 pts, +28 GD.
4. Chelsea, 63 pts, +13 GD.
-------------------------------
5. Leicester, 62 pts, +13 GD

Man United will seal a Champions League place with a win or a draw v Leicester, Chelsea will qualify with they avoid defeat OR if United win, Leicester will qualify with a win. A draw is enough if Chelsea lose.

The Battle To Stay Up.

17. Aston Villa, 34 pts, -26 GD.
----------------------------------
18. Watford, 34 pts, -27 GD
19. Bournemouth, 31 pts, -27 GD
R. Norwich, 21 pts, -44 GD.

Villa travel to West Ham and must match Watford's result, At Arsenal Watford must beat Villa's result OR win by two more OR lose by two fewer, Bournemouth must beat Everton and hope Villa and Watford lose.

I think Uniteds activity in the transfer window is going to be heavily dependent on if we get a win or draw against Leicester or if we lose and finish 5th ( although not guaranteed I will assume Chelsea will beat Wolves).

If we slip out of the top 4 we will lose a significant amount of sponsorship revenue due to being outside the Champions League 2 seasons in a row and we will miss out on the Champions League revenue that is greater than what you get for Europa League competition.

I think if we get top 4 and sign 3 players we will be in a good position next season. I think these players aren't as mentally strong as I'd like them to be. They are great on their day, but they look like they can bottle it under pressure. If we get top 4, strengthen a few key positions for next season (which we might not be able to do without top 4) then the players might go into next season with more self belief and we will have a stronger squad.

If we don't get top 4 then our Champions League qualification won't be decided for a few weeks, and I can't see is making several signings in a short space space of time. So top 4 this weekend is really important IMO.

The figure of 70 Million for missing out, due to penalties triggered by missing out twice in a row, is rather stark for United.

Full times.

Crystal Palace 1-1 Tottenham
Man City 5-0 Norwich
Newcastle 1-3 Liverpool
Southampton 3-1 Sheffield United
Everton 1-3 Bournemouth
West Ham 1-1 Aston Villa
Chelsea 2-0 Wolves
Burnley 1-2 Brighton
Leicester 0-2 Man United
Arsenal 3-2 Watford

Watford and Bournemouth are both down, Villa stay up.

United and Chelsea are in the Champions League next season, A Bruno Fernandes penalty and a Lingard goal in the 98th minute got the win, Evans got sent off for Leicester late on, Spurs get a Europa League place.

Typical last day stuff, very tense and nervy and full of drama...and plenty of goals!

Watford deserve to go down, going through three managers in the same season and to sack their third with just two games left is terrible.

Jamie Vardy gets the golden boot with 23 goals, Aubameyang second with 22 and Danny Ings third with 21.

A note on Aston Villa, their manager Dean Smith lost his father Ron to the coronavirus during the break, Ron was a steward at Villa and a lifelong fan, and his son has kept them up.

Quite fitting that Lingard gets the nail in the coffin for Champions League play next season!

:cool::cool::cool:
Apparently someone had a bet on him not scoring or assisting a goal all season, the in the 98th minute of the final game, boom.

I personally don't dislike Lingard, but I do think he needs to move away from United. He isn't good enough for where we want to be, but he could be an important first team player for the right club.

I am relieved, I was a bit nervous about today, and the game looked shakey, not that Leicester looked like they were going to bang goals in, but we didn't play to our strengths today and at 0-0 anything can always happen. Hopefully this win and getting 3rd will help with some of oiur players self belief. I think we potentially have more chance of winning the Europa League now because the pressure is off and we seem to play better as a team without the pressure at the moment.

Lindelof was great at the back today, Matic ended up playing great after a poor start and I really like the how Martial has developed this season playing up top. We have missed Shaw for the last few games, Rashford and him have a great partnership down the left and Williams doesn't make the same overlapping runs or link up as well with Marcus. But he's younger and can learn all of that.

Big well done to Chelsea getting the result they needed, considering the transfer ban and losing thier star player, I think Lampard has done a good job there. Another big well done to Villa for getting the result they needed to stay up, and of course contratulations to Liverpool for winning the title (although confirmed weeks ago).

The Premier League transfer window opened at midnight.

Dejan Lovren has joined Zenit from Liverpool for £10.9 million.

Adam Lallana is having a medical at Brighton ahead of a free transfer following his release from Liverpool.

It has been wildly reported that Man United had a bid rejected by Dortmund for Jadon Sancho, the bid was reported to be £89 million rising to £98 million, Dortmund apparently holding out for £110 million.

The Premier League transfer window opened at midnight.

Dejan Lovren has joined Zenit from Liverpool for £10.9 million.

Adam Lallana is having a medical at Brighton ahead of a free transfer following his release from Liverpool.

It has been wildly reported that Man United had a bid rejected by Dortmund for Jadon Sancho, the bid was reported to be £89 million rising to £98 million, Dortmund apparently holding out for £110 million.
Can't understand that money for Sancho. Werner has been scoring more goals and went for nearly half as much. :crazy: I think Liverpool may have gone for Werner if the uncertainty over finances because of the virus had not arisen. Speculation of course. ;) But he was linked for so long.

I hope Lallana finishes off his career fit and in style. Injuries have hampered hi Liverpool career, but great that he got the cups before he left. I've never seen a player so mobile and smooth dribbling with the ball. He changes direction with the ball like no other imho.

Lovren always got a bit of stick for not being reliable, but he was part of a winning team, and played his part. You don't stay at a big club for so long if you are rubbish. Good luck to him. He was Salah's best friend at the club, and it will be interesting to see if him leaving has any effect on Salah.

I personally don't dislike Lingard, but I do think he needs to move away from United. He isn't good enough for where we want to be, but he could be an important first team player for the right club.
I used to think Lingard was good, but he has gone down in my estimation over the years, especially when you factor in his age, and I think he would struggle to get into the top 2/3 team in the Premier League. I'm not quite sure what his position is! :confused: At 27 he should be at or around his peak. If he leaves Utd, and I haven't heard of anyone being interested, (not that I follow Utd things at all :lol:) I think he may be one of these Utd players that leave and never do anywhere near as well and would possibly struggle out of the Utd bubble.

Welbeck and Cleverley come to mind as an examples. Players who appeared pretty good in a winning team, but struggle away from that. I obviously know less than a Utd fan who watched these players a lot, but because of the coverage Utd have had during the successes, you saw these players a lot for Utd, less so after they left for the teams they went to, where they have sometimes struggled to get games.

Lingard is 27? OMG I thought that he was maybe 23. He is not good enough for UTD and they should get rid of him. Congrats to Vardy on winning the golden boot.

Lingard is 27? OMG I thought that he was maybe 23. He is not good enough for UTD and they should get rid of him. Congrats to Vardy on winning the golden boot.
Vardy did a great job in winning the Golden Boot, especially with Leicester's drop in form towards the end.

That's the thing with Lingard when I realised how old he was, he's older than you think. I thought him and Rashford were similar ages, but Rashford is still only 22. This should be Lingard's peak, but he can't get into the Utd team. Maybe Utd fans see something I'm missing. :confused:

No...... Or at least I don't. I'd happily see Lingard leave and not lose any sleep over it.

Neither will I, Lingard isn't good enough for the club any more, we have better players now.

That's the thing with Lingard when I realised how old he was, he's older than you think. I thought him and Rashford were similar ages, but Rashford is still only 22. This should be Lingard's peak, but he can't get into the Utd team. Maybe Utd fans see something I'm missing. :confused:
He's had one proper spell i can recall where I think he's done well, but other than that he's not been good enough for United for a while. I could see him being useful for a Newcastle or Aston Villa team, someone who plays with a bit of pace when they can but is mid-low table.

He has bags of energy. He's had a lot of issues off the field this last season, which I sympathise with, but at the end of the day we're not watching football and rating these players based on what's going on in their private lives, we're doing it based on what happens on the pitch.

I think if he were to leave United, which I hope he does for his sake and ours, then he would go with the club and fans blessing, I don't thnk people dislike him, we just don't think he's good enough for a top 4 race.

I wouldn't mind a bit of a clearout of players who can't get into the team anymore with some decent bench players coming in. The fact Ole didn't use so many of them even wen our first 11 started looking tired at the end speaks volumes about how much he trusts them.

The likes of Andreas Periera, Juan Mata (I really like him but can he get game time now), Rojo, Jones and Dalot (another one I like but if he isn't going to play any games what's the point of having him).

Of those maybe, just maybe because people in the club have said how great he is to have around, they could offer Mata a coaching role or something but I'm not sure he's ready to hag up his boots yet. I'm sure he coul still do a fairly decent job for someone in La Liga.

In other news the Saudi investors looking to buy Newcastle United have pulled out:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53598846

Last edited:
No surprise about the Newcastle takeover falling through, its has been dragging on for about four months (maybe longer!) because of the concerns.

Also news from today, Bournemouth have accepted a bid of £41 million for Nathan Ake from Man City.

Its FA Cup final day today, Arsenal v Chelsea is at 5.30pm on BBC and BT Sport.

It has been 100 days since the Premier League last played. Time to see who is in shape for the final stretch and who the real athletes are. I think City come out blazing with four or five goals on Arsenal. Meanwhile Liverpool start flat with a draw at Goodison. I think we will also see a resurgent Pogba and Man United, at least in the first few games. I expect Leicester and Sheffield United to ultimately drop down the table. I think losing their momentum will really affect them. Final table predictions:
1. Liverpool
2. Man City
3. Man United (+1)
4. Chelsea (-1)
5. Tottenham
6. Arsenal
7. Leicester
8. Wolves
9. Everton
10. Sheffield United

Actual Finish:
1. Liverpool
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Man United
5. Leicester (+2)
6. Tottenham (-1)
7. Wolves (+1)
8. Arsenal (-2)
9. Sheffield United (+1)
10. Burnley

Not too far off.

Last edited:
Actual Finish:
1. Liverpool
2. Man City
3. Man United
4. Chelsea

5. Leicester (+2)
6. Tottenham (-1)
7. Wolves (+1)
8. Arsenal (-2)
9. Sheffield United (+1)
10. Burnley

Not too far off.
You missed a spot. ;)

The 2020-2021 Scottish Premier League starts today.

Oh, wait, sorry - this thread is about football.

Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea.

Arsenal are FA Cup winners for the 14th time. Chelsea took the lead early via a nice finish from Pulisic on 5 minutes but from then on it seemed to fall apart for Chelsea, Aubameyang won a penalty which he then converted to make it 1-1 at half time, Pulisic then went off injured for what looked like a pulled hamstring, and then Aubameyang scored a brilliant goal to make it 2-1, Kovacic got sent off for Chelsea for two yellows (the second yellow was a terrible decision) Chelsea also had Pedro stretchered off very late on for a dislocated shoulder.

Arteta has now won the Cup as a captain and manager for the same club, Arsenal get a Europa League place next season, which means Wolves miss out, unless they win the Europa League this season and qualify for the Champions League next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back