2019-2020 NBA Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 237 comments
How is the 23-year old Tacko Fall gonna change things in Boston upon his arrival?

At 7'7" tall, he is vertically the highest Center of the league that the NBA has seen yet today. He towers over the Hall-of-Famer Yao Ming barely by an inch.

images

The problem with these skyscraper-like players though is that they're prone to foot, ankle and knee injuries, which became the reasons why Yao had to retire from his basketball career before he even reached a decade playing in the league.

The more he played in the NBA and got older, the more he became plagued by these terrible injuries and it bothered him frequently. Eventually, he gave up after his 9-year tenure with the Rockets. This was in 2011, when he was just 30 years old back then.

Will Tacko Fall face the same fate after a few years or decade? Or will he be much more resilient to these potential career-ending injuries than the Great Wall of China has ever been?

I know it's too soon to talk about this stuff since this is just the first time he'll be playing in the league but in the long run, there's a good reason to learn more about these future concerns.

I saw Tacko Fall in college when he used to play for UCF (U. of Central Florida). He played in the same conference as my beloved U. of Houston Cougars. I don't think Tacko will be as imposing as Yao Ming. However, he's going to be tough to get around for opposing teams.

Well, according to the UCF statistics that I've read earlier, during his college years from 2015-19, this big fella has an average FG% of 74% while also averaging at least 10 PPG in an average of 28.75 GP and 23 MPG. He was also the AAC DPOY in 2017.

While these numbers may not sound that impressive at all, who knows if he would perform better in the league once he gets a grasp of it and yes. His towering height will also come in handy over the Centers and other smaller players of opposing teams. That is if he gets to play well in the team.

I been thinking about tournament play in the NBA. In trying to evolve the NBA, there was talk about the NBA having themselves two in-season Tournaments. The first sort of Tournament I am not as sure how to comment about. The second one, though, is more interesting- a Tournament to determine what bottom team will make the Playoffs as the 8th Seed. I am not sure if this is about 8th Overall or 8th in each Conference.

Let me give some insight on a bottom team Tournament. In the NBA2K League eSports tournament, there is a Tournament called "The Ticket," in which a team automatically makes it into the Postseason regardless of where they finish record-wise. So a team could have a pathetic record after clinching a Playoff berth but still play in the postseason. A team can go as far down as the 8th seed for the playoffs with this format.

I do like the idea of bottom teams playing for their postseason lives and earning a spot in the postseason. Most people, though, will be like, "who cares about these bottom-placed teams? They are bottom teams for a reason." Or maybe someone thinks having bottom teams play each other is just a last chance to get the Lakers into the postseason. Having this Tournament allows for bottom teams to remain competitive. This would avoid teams trying to tank just to get the best players in the next NBA Draft. Could it be entertaining to have a Tournament for bottom teams? Sure. Last season, the New York Knicks had the worst record at 17-65. Phoenix had the worst record among Western teams at 19-63. Even with their respective lethargic seasons, they could still realistically make the Postseason by virtue of winning this bottom team Tournament. And to be fair, this bottom team tournament should come at the end of the season.

Now, I am a bit uncertain on how to execute a mid-season Tournament. I am assuming this would involve teams with the best records at the halfway point of the season. I think these considered measures do away with the best teams in each conference and go on overall records. So I'm guessing maybe the top four teams in the respective conferences would play each other for some sort of bragging rights. I just don't know how this midseason Tournament would work and how you would structure everything.

Any of you have any thoughts about these two tournament ideas in the NBA?

Veteran Guard Kyle Korver is said to have signed a 1-year deal with the Milwaukee Bucks. Despite his age, he should still be a good addition for a sharpshooter role in the bench.

He is also now reunited with incumbent Bucks HC Mike Budenholzer once more, as the two were part of the Atlanta Hawks team not more than 5 years ago.

One time, they even led the team to its most winning season in franchise history at 60-22 four years ago, along with their first ever Conference Finals appearance as well since its relocation in Atlanta.

During the same year, they also had four players playing in the All-Star game, namely Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Paul Millsap and Kyle Korver himself. Coach Bud was given opportunity to coach the East All-Stars, too, a privilege he got for leading the Hawks as the first team to reach 50 wins that season.

However, in the playoffs, while they made all their way through the first round and semifinals to reach their first ever ECF appearance, sadly they were swept by the reignited LBJ-led Cavaliers that time and as of today, for Atlanta, that remains to be their only most recent successful season to date.

Draymond Green isn't going anywhere but Golden State. He signed a four-year extension to stay with the Golden State Warriors. I have a few reveals to share. Check it...

* The 2019-2020 NBA season will begin with Lakers at Clippers to be played on Opening Day (October 22, 2019).

What is the ultimate stocking stuffer? Right- basketball! Here are the games to be played on Christmas:

* LAC Clippers at LAL Lakers
* NO Pelicans at DEN Nuggets
* BOS Celtics at TOR Raptors
* HOU Rockets at GS Warriors
* MIL Bucks at PHI 76ers

Anyone want to share some thoughts on these revealed games?

I wonder who would win in the Rockets-Warriors match-up, both who will play with Westbrook and Russell on the teams, replacing Paul and Durant, respectively.

As much as I love my Houston Rockets, I am not as confident about them this season. I am just hoping we don't become the biggest clown show of the NBA. Either clown show or overrated garbage. Both Houston and Golden State will surely be teams to watch. Since this is an early season match, don't probably read too much into either team being better than the other depending on who wins this match on Christmas.

A lot of people, though, would feel kind of annoyed that we get a double shot of the Battle for Los Angeles for Opening Day and Christmas. Probably trying to mooch the LeBron James appeal much. Remember that the Lakers and Clippers are divisional opponents, so we are seeing two of their four matches played out this season on national TV. By the way... have you heard the Clippers could be looking to change up their image and stuff, even including looking for a different nickname? Like... I can't think of any lake in Los Angeles since the Los Angeles Lakers used to be the Minneapolis Lakers WAY back in the 1940s. Imagine the Clip Joint changing up their image and stuff.

Musings over. Enjoy this time off before the NBA players go at it for real.

Rofl even the opening match-up this coming October would pit the Lakers against the Clippers. :lol:

There's so many hype about LBJ and his teams playing against an equal contending team during Christmas.

When he was with the Cavs in the last few years, the team played against Golden State at least two times during the said holiday and last year, with the Lakers, he also played against them the same day. Now, it looks like the Clippers are going to be the next team he and the Lakers will be pitted against with.

If everything goes well in the next season and playoffs, I can sense a first-ever match-up bet. these two clubs from downtown, something that has never occurred yet in the past playoffs ever. Whether they will meet for the first time in postseason in the conference semifinals, West Finals or worse, the first round, will largely depend on their clinched seedings next year.

I've always think of how both of their players would act and play in their home court during a postseason, since they essentially play their home games in the same arena at The Staples. However, when it comes to The Staples, the Lakers are definitely the more predominant team because that's a given in their rich history. But because they have missed the playoffs during the last 6 years, it gave the Clippers to seize the opportunity and play more time there after the regular season.

So there goes some insight regarding an upcoming intense crosstown rivalry in the NBA's Pacific Division.

I remember that 6 months have passed already since Carmelo Anthony was waived by the Bulls in February.

I still wonder if the 35-year old veteran would be able to find a team before the start of the upcoming season.

I feel sorry for Carmelo Anthony to be honest. Things surely didn't work in Houston last season. I'm sure somebody will pick him up, unless he decides to do something like be part of the Team USA basketball team for FIBA or the Olympics.

The NBA schedule for 2019-2020 was released today. On Opening Night (October 22, 2019), here is your opening card:

* NO Pelicans at TOR Raptors
* LAL Lakers at LAC Clippers

You can check out the full slate of games for this upcoming season here: https://stats.nba.com/schedule/#!?PD=N&Month=0 . So uh, NBA fans... get psyched!

It is also said that Kawhi will meet his former recent champion team in the East, the Toronto Raptors, with his new team on December 11 in the Scotiabank Arena.

33-year old Kyle Lowry is not mad or disappointed on Kawhi's departure to the Clippers. If anything, he supports the decision of the 2-time Finals MVP and is actually happy for him. Hoping that things go well for his future.

So according to this article, the Clippers have decided to add Tyronn Lue as an assistant coach to Doc Rivers.

Despite coaching LBJ's Cleveland Cavaliers to a championship against the 73-9 Warriors three years ago, I don't think he's a great coach at all.

This is the same man who got stepped over by Allen Iverson in Game 1 of the 2001 NBA Finals during his tenure as a player for the Lakers that time.

What does this actually mean for DeMarcus Cousins? He has just recently suffered a torn ACL during a workout with the Lakers in Las Vegas. I think this is too soon for a big fella who's aiming for his first championship ring in the upcoming season.

Guess what? Dwight Howard is officially back to the Los Angeles Lakers after 6 years of stint with the other teams. He will sign the contract after being waived by the Memphis Grizzlies the other day and will wear the No. 39 for the team.

He is expected to back up injured big man DeMarcus Cousins, who's undergoing a rehabilitation after tearing his own ACL during preseason practices not more than two weeks ago.

Now, I wonder if the chemistry of this newly refreshed team will eventually pay off in the upcoming season and be playoff contenders once again after 6 years of drought, which is pretty ironic, considering Howard was also with the Lakers in the team's last playoff appearance that time.

Should the Lakers finally make the playoffs next year to get back on track, there should be a meme about Howard's return to the team being a miracle. :lol:

Looks like Joe Johnson has been signed by the Detroit Pistons. The 38-year old veteran last played for the league in 2018 with the Houston Rockets, then he recently played in the BIG3, where he was named the MVP last month and also won his first BIG3 championship days later with the Triplets, as the said team won against the Killer 3's in the championship round.

While not NBA-related, it is said that Steph Curry has interest for and is committed in playing for Team USA basketball in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Summer Games. More power to Steph Curry if he wants to help out Team USA in Olympics basketball. Team USA basketball still reeling a good bit from their 7th place finish in the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Maybe Steph Curry's influence will help get Team USA basketball back to its better days.

Can you believe we are less than one month away from Opening Day of the 2019-2020 regular season of NBA basketball? It's nearly time to hoop it up again NBA style!

This is not NBA-related, but the NBA G-League is experimenting with a different free throw shooting policy. When discussed on shows like ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption," hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon absolutely ripped this new rule. So how does this free throw policy work? In what sounds like an attempt to speed up games, every dead ball foul will involve only one free throw for whatever violation there is. A common foul in this model would mean one free throw worth two points. Fouling a three-point shooter results in one free throw worth three points. And I am guessing a basket-and-the-foul situation or one of those three-second violations results in one free throw worth one point. This NBA G-League free throw model is NOT in the NBA, but what would you think about this free throw thing if it DID make it into the NBA?

Are you ready for some NBA Preseason basketball? A number of teams will begin their Preseason campaign tonight, if not later this week! My Houston Rockets will begin their Preseason swing by hosting the Shanghai Sharks. This is the first set of games to help get ready for the regular season begin later in October.

These Preseason games don't mean anything- just get yourselves psyched up and ready for the new season. So enjoy the Preseason as we get ready for the regular season!

So the real question as a Pels fan is whether Zion gonna live up to the hype or not, this season will be fun to watch nonetheless :lol:

If the Lakers and Pelicans will be able to clinch their respective seeds in next year's playoffs, I wonder which two teams in their conference will they replace from this year's playoffs.

Most likely it will be OKC, while the other spot will be a toss-up between Denver, San Antonio and Utah, granting one of these teams and the other recurring teams from the Western Conference will make it into the upcoming postseason again.

Last thing we need is something clown-worthy. Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey sent off a Tweet showing his support of Hong Kong protesters. The end result? How about damaging the bond between the Rockets and China, even where one Yao Ming played his entire career with the Rockets? D. Morey since apologized and removed that tweet. NBA commissioner Adam Silver even expressed his feelings on the whole international incident. Those who support D. Morey applaud him for democracy and freedom of speech. The sports result from this is that two games from the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks' G-League affiliates will not play any exhibition games in China. The Rockets, meanwhile, have a few exhibition games with the Toronto Raptors to be played in Japan.

I surely don't want to see a point where the Houston Rockets end up being as villainized as the Golden State Warriors or somebody. Some say the Rockets should embrace some villain role, but I'm not like that. The NBA is not pro wrestling, where you have your faces and heels that sometimes interchange between the two. This is still a pretty tough issue.

I heard Gerald Green of the Houston Rockets suffered a left foot injury and is out indefinitely. Sources say he could be out for a few months. So the Rockets' offense is going to take a big hit with Green's injury.

Also, don't forget- we are a week and a day away from the start of the 2019-2020 NBA season! The fun begins next Tuesday. So get ready if you aren't already!

One week away, NBA fans. One week away! Next Tuesday is the start of the 2019-2020 NBA season. When next Tuesday rolls around, we have these matches to tip off the new season:

Both games will be televised on TNT. The new season is coming!

[UPDATE] 2019-2020 season. Changes made.

Last edited:
One week away, NBA fans. One week away! Next Tuesday is the start of the 2019-2029 NBA season. When next Tuesday rolls around, we have these matches to tip off the new season:

Both games will be televised on TNT. The new season is coming!
Correction: 2019-2020 NBA season. :lol:

Thanks for the correction. I haven't really been myself lately, and just make all kinds of errors. Remember- I'm human!

Back