2019 Bathurst 12Hr DiscussionTouring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 218 comments
I like the white liveries better, but still an awesome looking machine. Hope they get on the podium again.

The practice sessions haven't given much indication of who's on the pace and who isn't. All I can work out is that there's a bunch of cars that are more than capable of winning. :lol: Looking forward to qualifying.

Regarding the Tim Pappas crash. What are people’s thoughts?

Were crews too slow to respond? Or was it correct for marshals to wait for proper fire crews?

Many media outlets are calling the fans who jumped the fence “heros”. Were they? Or did they they add unnecessary risk to an already dangerous situation? (I’m reading other fan reports that say the fire truck showed up roughly 20 seconds after the fans got to the car).

The fans who did jump the fence say that the hose for the fire extinguisher blew up when he tried to use it. He says he told that to a marshal, who said, “we test the bottles, not the hoses.” That seems like an obvious problem that needs to be rectified.

I’ve seen a number of tweets by people in the community saying that perhaps racing at Bathurst should be reconsidered, and I’ve seen Ryan Dalziel and Patrick Long like these posts. Now, my personal opinion of Ryan is extremely low, I think he’s the biggest cry baby in motorsport (his twitter feed over the D24 weekend was pretty funny and sad at the same time lol)....but what do people think of the notion of abandoning a racing circuit because of one accident, instead of taking steps to improve the facility.

Also, if there’s certain folk from the IMSA thread lurking in here, I’d love to hear more thoughts on the idea that, “these modern racecars are so safe that there’s basically no chance of anyone getting hurt.”

Glad to hear Tim’s injuries are relatively minor (relative, a broken pelvis is no joke).

Which team is running the #911 and #912 Porsche’s this year? I thought that I heard that Manthey weren’t coming back but maybe I heard wrong.

@twitcher Yeah stopping running at the circuit is ridiculous. My main issue with the incident is the lack of tyre barriers at the wall that he hit. There have been close calls in the past, but this is the first time that concrete wall has really caused an issue. There’s a tyre barrier just 10 or 20 metres to the right side, so I don’t see why they’ve gone so long without extending that barrier. The incident would’ve been far less severe, and there would likely not have been a need for fire marshalls.

I see no reason to stop racing at Bathurst since unlike a track like Macau there is actually room to improve the track.

...but what do people think of the notion of abandoning a racing circuit because of one accident, instead of taking steps to improve the facility.

To be fair, I'd imagine most of the people arguing in favor of dropping the circuit are also taking the crash that ended last year's race into consideration.

Preventative measures can be taken to reduce the chance of these crashes at Bathurst. No need to stop racing there. I also think Pappas' injuries occurred because of how the car hit the unprotected concrete barrier.

Hmmm, my feelings on the Tim Pappas crash @twitcher . I think if the marshals had grabbed the fire extinguishers and moved towards the car there would be no discussion at all. The two fans probably wouldn't have felt like they needed to do anything.

Regarding canning Mt. Panorama, we should be seriously looking into, and using, the safer barrier technology that's been used in Nascar for years on many of the corners at many of our Australian tracks( I'm looking at you turn #9 Adelaide). Problem solved 👍

Some footage of the two fellas : https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/02/02/fire-fighting-spectator-happy-to-speak-with-cams/

I still think there should be a chicane on the Conrad Straight, or the kink before The Chase should be made slower.
The worst crashes seem to happen when cars plow through the grass there.

I still think there should be a chicane on the Conrad Straight, or the kink before The Chase should be made slower.
The worst crashes seem to happen when cars plow through the grass there.
Take a look at the track before The Chase was constructed. No way to slow the cars down.
The way it is today, majority of drivers have walked away under their own power. Any more chicanes just slows the race down further. It's the top that is most dangerous.

Concrete and rock face don't budge. I think Paul Morris(or John Bowie) said, a safer barrier would narrow the track more. Jason Bright was an advocate for the Safer barrier.
Bathurst Council would have to start blasting the mountain to make more space for such safety precautions.

Just like Macau and Monaco(which they did modify with more safety barriers and swimming pool complex), that's the nature of those circuits.
Hate to think what would people say about WRC cars falling off cliffs, hitting banks, trees, etc.

Take a look at the track before The Chase was constructed. No way to slow the cars down.
The way it is today, majority of drivers have walked away under their own power. Any more chicanes just slows the race down further. It's the top that is most dangerous.

Concrete and rock face don't budge. I think Paul Morris(or John Bowie) said, a safer barrier would narrow the track more. Jason Bright was an advocate for the Safer barrier.
Bathurst Council would have to start blasting the mountain to make more space for such safety precautions.

Just like Macau and Monaco(which they did modify with more safety barriers and swimming pool complex), that's the nature of those circuits.
Hate to think what would people say about WRC cars falling off cliffs, hitting banks, trees, etc.
I definitely agree that the top of The Mountain is no place for the safer barrier... but The Chase certainly is.

I'd rather they use some highly abrasive asphalt in the runoff zones around The Chase, like they did at Paul Ricard.

I'd rather they use some highly abrasive asphalt in the runoff zones around The Chase, like they did at Paul Ricard.
The trouble with that is that it's a public road. I could see that area turning into a skid patch for all the local hoons... but then again, it would be a great revenue raiser for the boys in blue.

T8 miss the shootout. :)

Real shock to see them so far down the gird. The BMW's as well starting outside the top ten. :crazy: Think the Bimmer's will be alright during the race. I'm less sure about the #888. Would be foolish to write them off completely but they just doesn't seem to have the pace of the front runners.

Sidenote: How about de Pasquale dropping a couple of 2:04 laps and casually putting the MARC Mustang inside the ten. :lol:
Which team is running the #911 and #912 Porsche’s this year? I thought that I heard that Manthey weren’t coming back but maybe I heard wrong.

Earl Bamber Motorsport. Think EBM have been running in Carrera Cup Asia for the last year or two? This is their first time running GT3 cars.

Last edited:
Will there be replays of the live streams available? I just missed the production support races and would love to catch a replay of them later

Will there be replays of the live streams available? I just missed the production support races and would love to catch a replay of them later
Not sure. B12H YouTube is showing qualy replays.aybe they will post up those races.

The yellow Gruppe M AMG looks really cool.

Had to go with the official stream. Nismo TV couldn't figure out what they were doing even as the GT-R hit the track for the first run.

Edit: 48k posts :eek:

Last edited:
Back