2019 Formula 1 Grand Prix de MonacoFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 289 comments
qof0gz2thq031.jpg

Gasly needs to go, unless Red Bull are content with him filling the no man's land between the front runners and the midfielders.

He's improving but he's a surprisingly non-stellar choice for AMRBR, or whatever they're called now.

The problem Red Bull has is they've got no-one in the pipeline to replace Gasly. They won't take anyone from outside their junior driver programme, as if they did it would make the programme look pointless, but they don't have a driver from inside ready to go; I'm sure if they did they wouldn't have brought Kyvat back. Ticktum is widely held to be next in line, despite his best efforts to talk himself out of a seat, but his superlicence issues are well known, so then it's... Lucas Auer? Juri Vips? It's all very well giving drivers 6 months to prove themselves and then firing them, but if you do it can leave a gap in the production line, as Red Bull are now finding.

Tbh I thought Gasly was ready for the seat going into this season, it could be Car balance related why he isn't performing as well, but I think he is a Better driver then both of the drivers currently in Torro Rosso.

If they do remove Gasly it would only likely be for a driver not in their program like George Russell if they can get him out of Mercedes hands otherwise they have to stick with him for this season at least.

I don't think Kyvat is there for a geniune 2nd Chance, he is only there to fill a seat and Albon was a rushed choice but is doing alright although on Pace Kyvat seems to have him covered just so it could be a dead end there, unless he starts beating him consistently.

Sainz could of been an option if there wasn't issues with Verstappen previously, but he was easily beaten by Hulkenburg the same driver Ricciardo is beating easily now, so he wouldn't be an upgrade on Gasly at least on paper.

Last edited:
Tbh I thought Gasly was ready for the seat going into this season, it could be Car balance related why he isn't performing as well, but I think he is a Better driver then both of the drivers currently in Torro Rosso.

If they do remove Gasly it would only likely be for a driver not in their program like George Russell if they can get him out of Mercedes hands otherwise they have to stick with him for this season at least.

I don't think Kyvat is there for a geniune 2nd Chance, he is only there to fill a seat and Albon was a rushed choice but is doing alright although on Pace Kyvat seems to have him covered just so it could be a dead end there, unless he starts beating him consistently.

Sainz could of been an option if there wasn't issues with Verstappen previously, but he was easily beaten by Hulkenburg the same driver Ricciardo is beating easily now, so he wouldn't be an upgrade on Gasly at least on paper.
I don’t think they’d go for Russle, otherwise they’d have gotten Ocon. I think Gasley is doing ok, now.

He was always going to struggle and those struggles have helped Max relax a little I think. I think they keep him on

I don’t think they’d go for Russle, otherwise they’d have gotten Ocon. I think Gasley is doing ok, now.

He was always going to struggle and those struggles have helped Max relax a little I think. I think they keep him on
They tried to get Ocon(For STR) but Mercedes insisted that he remains under their contract so that's out of the question.

Verstappen is 4th though, that's why I assumed you where talking about the constructors.

You are right. The preemptive standings were with Bottas further away - without the penalty though (but there hindsight).

but he was easily beaten by Hulkenburg the same driver Ricciardo is beating easily now

That's not quite true. They've been fairly even so far - most cases it's Hulk on top bar mechanical issues?

SVX
You are right. The preemptive standings were with Bottas further away - without the penalty though (but there hindsight).

That's not quite true. They've been fairly even so far - most cases it's Hulk on top bar mechanical issues?
Before China Hulkenburg was ahead on pace, Ricciardo has had him beat on Pace since then and the last two races he has easily out qualified him by big margins.

It's early but given he just joined this team, since he has been faster he has held that advantage comfortably.

I was going to object, but then I remembered Lando Norris is just six points behind Sainz and is leading in their head-to-head qualifying battle.

I was going to object, but then I remembered Lando Norris is just six points behind Sainz and is leading in their head-to-head qualifying battle.
Sainz Lucked it massively in Spain too, where the safety car came out just as he was about to pit and he was able to get into the points.

Gasly has been improving in every race but he's not a Max.
I honestly think that it's not Red Bull that has been beating the Ferraris and biting Merc's ankles, its Max Verstappen, a brilliant driver made from the same pot as Senna.
He has improved tremendously well managing that fire inside him that cost him dearly in the recent past.
Max is colder now, more mature and ready to be a world champion and to prove that, check out how he didn't finished his and Hamilton's race in that killer chicane by the harbour.
Oh... and he's only 21.

I don't know jack-squat about Gasly and he's been underperforming. Having said that, isn't it relatively common that new drivers on a team often essentially driver the primary's driver's "version" of the car (set-up, preferences, etc.) more or less in their first year? They normally have to build up the relationship and knowledge base with their engineers before they get to start making larger calls/demands, right?

I always give people one year as a mulligan...(I know that's an expensive year though for a team like Red Bull)

I don't know jack-squat about Gasly and he's been underperforming. Having said that, isn't it relatively common that new drivers on a team often essentially driver the primary's driver's "version" of the car (set-up, preferences, etc.) more or less in their first year? They normally have to build up the relationship and knowledge base with their engineers before they get to start making larger calls/demands, right?

I always give people one year as a mulligan...(I know that's an expensive year though for a team like Red Bull)
I agree with you. Your car's setup is YOUR set up and your set up is based on data gathered along the championship therefore makes all the sense if you just start having your car on your second season.
Bottas might just entered that phase 5 races ago. That's why he's a "new man".

Why everybody is saying Max is is so calm, managing the fire inside him so much better after a race in which he caused two incidents is beyond me :D
Marco saying he is innocent and just the stewards don't like him doesn't help at all.

yas
Why everybody is saying Max is is so calm, managing the fire inside him so much better after a race in which he caused two incidents is beyond me :D

I get what you're saying... but it was hardly classic Verstappen. In the first he was released by the team into the fast lane at the wrong time, not a driver's fault. In the second he had a punt into the only semi-gap that presented itself during his long run behind Hamilton. It was sloppy but it's what he's there for.

Second one - yeah, one final chance, if there is an opening try and get it, last year he probably would have taken him out.
First one however I do not agree. He was badly released by the team, yes. However he then used his car to push Bottas into the wall, not necessarily looking for contact. There was space for both of them as shown by two others earlier in FP. He however wanted to make sure Bottas would back off, so decided to play chicken.

If there's anything Maldonado has taught us, there is a difference between that and going for a gap that no longer exists.

Max has tread on the right side of that line for a while. This was a minor slip, but that overtake was never going to happen. Not from where he attempted it. Should have been closer through the tunnel to make it work.

Someone on Reddit has been keeping track of which drivers have damaged their cars and how much they have damaged them during the season - giving a rough estimate for each major component of the car. The most amazing thing about this list is that of the four drivers with no damage at all this season - Verstappen is one of them. Bear in mind this time last season, he was probably at the top of this list.
2d9cw5db4y031.jpg

Back