2019 Formula 1 Grand Prix de MonacoFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 289 comments
Why did Bottas not get a 5 seconds penalty for driving very slow when Lewis was pitting?
Because they were just making their way to the back of the safety car at that point, and can drive slower if they want.

It's only once they've caught the safety car that they have to drive at a consistent speed and keep within 10 car lengths of each other.

Because they were just making their way to the back of the safety car at that point, and can drive slower if they want.

It's only once they've caught the safety car that they have to drive at a consistent speed and keep within 10 car lengths of each other.
Just read this one (posted by Dutch sherlock Rob van Gameren). Based on the comments etc it seems to be an equal situation.

driving slow.jpg

Just read this one (posted by Dutch sherlock Rob van Gameren). Based on the comments etc it seems to be an equal situation.

It's down to the interpretation of the word "significantly". Was the gap created by Bottas significant? In this case the stewards say no. With that said I accept that the stewarding this season has seemed to lack consistency overall.

It's down to the interpretation of the word "significantly". Was the gap created by Bottas significant? In this case the stewards say no. With that said I accept that the stewarding this season has seemed to lack consistency overall.
haha you will understand that the Dutchies looking through orange glasses (and are Max supporter) will say it is 'significant' ;)

All these rules...just race. But indeed at least be consistent

Gasly needs to go, unless Red Bull are content with him filling the no man's land between the front runners and the midfielders.

He got P5.

He's a clear #2 in his first year and has Verstappen as a teammate. Ricciardo bailed from that. Redbull should at least get 6th everywhere which he has mostly done.

The baku dnf was a driveshaft failure or whatever while he was in 6th. He's doing the minimum for Redbull in his first year but should get better. I don't think they should dump him for a TR driver already.

SVX
And good on Honda! Who would've thought that in their first season with RBR, their driver would be pulling away from a Ferrari veteran...
Well he's more of a RBR veteran, than a Ferrari one and Verstappen wasn't exactly pulling away as their pace was defined by Hamilton.
They won this with a Renault engine last year, so is it progress to finish 5th? Anyway lets judge Honda at the end of the season, but in terms of reliability - so far so good.
The way they released Max on Bottas was total madness and the 5s were soft, but at least made the race interesting.

yas
Well he's more of a RBR veteran, than a Ferrari one and Verstappen wasn't exactly pulling away as their pace was defined by Hamilton.

Pulling away in the standings for third.

yas
They won this with a Renault engine last year, so is it progress to finish 5th?

He finished second, though- which is a far improvement for the driver that was the weaker of the two at Monaco.

I don’t judge drivers by the radio messages because we only get to hear the ones the FIA deems interesting. Other drivers may also be complaining all race, but it never makes the broadcast.

SVX
Pulling away in the standings for third.

He finished second, though- which is a far improvement for the driver that was the weaker of the two at Monaco.
All though on Pace Verstappen should of been on the front row last year the reasons that didn't happen was because he crashed, the car as a whole is less competitive this year then last compared to the front runners.

All though on Pace Verstappen should of been on the front row last year the reasons that didn't happen was because he crashed, the car as a whole is less competitive this year then last compared to the front runners.

It seemed pretty fast in Australia to me.

Oh look! Hamilton actually having to work for a win! We all piss and moan about him but when push comes to shove, you remember why he's won 5 championships. That drive yesterday was a great demonstration of Hamilton's ability to deliver when it matters most. Don't start calling me a Hamilton fan but you cannot ignore his skill and prowess; hence why I put him up against the likes of Senna, Lauda and Schumacher. He was being hounded by Verstappen for ages on **** tyres and yet, despite his whinging, wins the race. Many would crack under that sort of pressure, so for armchair racers to start going at Hamilton is cowardly. He earned the win.

SVX
Let's see;

1-2 Mercedes
Ferrari way off pace
RBR consistently around or above Ferrari pace

Why isn't it a norm?
Because they haven't got a pole position and have never been the fastest car at any race and are lacking two wins at this stage(one was lucky sure but the pace in Spain was way off what it was last year and mid race at Baku before the crash they had race leading pace on a similar strategy to the leaders after 1st stint issues).

They are further from the front then last year yes.

Because they haven't got a pole position and have never been the fastest car at any race and are lacking two wins at this stage(one was lucky sure but the pace in Spain was way off what it was last year and mid race at Baku before the crash they had race leading pace on a similar strategy to the leaders after 1st stint issues).

They are further from the front then last year yes.

Yet despite this, they are third in the driver's championship and pulling away despite being the first year of Honda.

You say Aus isn't the norm yet Bahrain has been the only race where it hasn't been a regular concession of Mercedes 1>2, with Ferrari actually doing well. Your logic should prove that Ferrari should've been on the top for the majority of the season.

Didn't Vettel win it last year and then dominated half of the season?

If you think Redbull had any chance of being lower then 3rd this year you are living in a fantasy world.

I have just been comparing them to the front of the field they are a bit lower then last year, sure it isn't that much but you can see it's there.

Ferrari were certainly more competitive though as in many races they where the fastest car, this time last year the championship was much closer although still favoured Hamilton and Mercedes(atleast at this stage of the season last year).

Last edited:
I don’t judge drivers by the radio messages because we only get to hear the ones the FIA deems interesting. Other drivers may also be complaining all race, but it never makes the broadcast.
Good point. There was a point where the commentators noted that Max now had Mode 7 available, and around 30-60 seconds later, you hear Red Bull relay the message to Max.

One thing I think that hasn’t been spoken about this season is; what if Riccy hadn’t left Red Bull?
I think they’d be pretty handily fighting Ferrari for p2 in the constructors. I think this will go down as Horner’s falling as a team boss. He had two very fast and fairly even drivers and now he only has the one.

I think Ricciardo would of left regardless, the team has been in a similar position for soo long he wanted a change. Being in a Position where you can win the odd race but never have a chance at the title for several years would be frustrating, If the team was in the position Ferrari was last year he probably wouldn't of left though.

I think Ricciardo would of left regardless, the team has been in a similar position for soo long he wanted a change. Being in a Position where you can win the odd race but never have a chance at the title for several years would be frustrating, If the team was in the position Ferrari was last year he probably wouldn't of left though.

I don’t think so, Red Bull were on the verge of becoming the head Honda entry. If you have a Red Bull with the best engine, chances are you have the if of, if not the best package on the grid...

But due to how imbalanced the teams politics seemed to be, Riccy probably felt that’d he’d be struggling to get equal status vs Max in a title fight.

I don’t think so, Red Bull were on the verge of becoming the head Honda entry. If you have a Red Bull with the best engine, chances are you have the if of, if not the best package on the grid...

But due to how imbalanced the teams politics seemed to be, Riccy probably felt that’d he’d be struggling to get equal status vs Max in a title fight.
He looked to have his mind set on a move last year I think he was banking in getting the spare Ferrari seat or maybe displacing Bottas but when that wasn't going to happen he probably left on impluse.

He did state his frustrations early this year over the Baku situation where he said it was clearly Verstappen fault but had to share equal blame by the team, so it was probably a factor as well.

He looked to have his mind set on a move last year I think he was banking in getting the spare Ferrari seat or maybe displacing Bottas but when that wasn't going to happen he probably left on impluse.

He did state his frustrations early this year over the Baku situation where he said it was clearly Verstappen fault but had to share equal blame by the team, so it was probably a factor as well.
Indeed, if Red Bull (Horner) managed that situation better, then the team would be in a far better position... and hell maybe they’d have a double Monaco podium this last weekend...

Instead we have a new Red Bull driver struggling and under huge pressure, Max getting what he can and a hugely talented race winning driver in a car that’s not even the best of the rest...

See from 2:30 onwards, Nico's perspective on Lewis' whining. Thought might be relevant to a few people here ;)

From what I’ve heard, this is the reason he left. He knew that if he stuck around, whenever red bull got a competitive car, he would be asked to pull over for max and he didn’t want that. I don’t think anyone wants that. So he jumped ship before they could do that to him. Watch the drive to survive Netflix show. Explains pretty much all of why he left.

If you think Redbull had any chance of being lower then 3rd this year you are living in a fantasy world.

??

Maybe try reading my post - I said driver's championship, not constructors.

Back