2019 Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix du CanadaFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 386 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 moves towards the Canadian Grand Prix, often home to some of the best races of the season. After a catastrophically dull 2018 race though, which was thankfully ended early by a chequered flag mix-up, all eyes will be on the 70 laps ahead to see if it improves. Tyre wear, close walls, the Wall of Champions and many other classic things mean we should still be excited for the Canadian Grand Prix.
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.361km

Race Distance

305.7 km

Lap Record
1:13.622 Rubens Barrichello (2004)

Haven't got high hopes for this one being exactly stellar this year but you never know...

Weather appears all sunny and dry for the weekend :indiff:

Ferrari and Red Bull are both pretty good in a straight line, could be some actual overtaking up at the front... although Mercedes are bringing their first engine upgrade.

Hamilton has finally shown he's human after hitting the wall on the exit of T8. Damaged the right wheels and managed to limp back to the pits. I think that's his first crash since Brazil 2017 actually!

Verstappen has also clipped the Wall of Champions now, got away with seemingly no damage.

Last edited:
Verstappen has also clipped the Wall of Champions now, got away with seemingly no damage.

Did you see the amount of plasterwork that fell out of that wheel in the pits!? :D

Hearing that Hamilton has floor damage, don't know how bad or if they have a spare of the same spec.

Neither Max nor Lewis was able to continue in FP2.

Sainz wound up 4th quickest, with 3 Renaults in the top ten. :D

Yeah, but it's karma for 2015.

So it is! On a more serious note (and you're well qualified on this)... the pit lane entry seems to have lots of relatively unprotected people behind low barriers at the kink. In the event of an 'aeroplane accident' there, which is surely going to happen at some point*, aren't they too exposed? I've always thought it was a more dangerous entry than Interlagos where at least an accident goes back out onto the track.

*Obviously I don't want an accident to happen there.

Man I love this circuit, not only because my man Robert won here, but also because of its flow and taking risks with barriers being really close. I also love playing it in the F1 games, it's a shame it's not appearing in other games like pCARS.

As for this weekend, sadly I expect Mercedes dominance. Maybe we'll at least get some cool fights in the midfield.

So it is! On a more serious note (and you're well qualified on this)... the pit lane entry seems to have lots of relatively unprotected people behind low barriers at the kink. In the event of an 'aeroplane accident' there, which is surely going to happen at some point*, aren't they too exposed? I've always thought it was a more dangerous entry than Interlagos where at least an accident goes back out onto the track.

*Obviously I don't want an accident to happen there.
I think the thing is, there's enough space for the aeroplane accident to stop before they reach the barriers. Take Webber at Valencia, he was done with being in the air pretty much before leaving the circuit, and just slid along the runoff to the wall

However, it's probably one of those "Its OK until it's not" situations where they'll leave it until something goes wrong there, then they'll knee-jerk a reaction that's completely over the top. A bit like this new instructions to marshals about not going on track because it went a bit wrong at Monaco. Thats going to be fun in the briefing at Silverstone next month...

A bit like this new instructions to marshals about not going on track because it went a bit wrong at Monaco.

I agree about knee-jerk reactions producing crap results, definitely. But Monaco was nearly the death of somebody, personally I think the current advice makes sense. The Monaco situation shouldn't have happened because it was the marshalls themselves who acted utterly recklessly.

Canada 2011 is a good example too, although for cases like that I think race control should introduce delta requirements for sectors with marshalls active on track.

Last edited:
Problems with the floor of the new pit complex... the paint sticks to the cars' tyres better than it does to the concrete. Both Ferrari and HAAS have taken large chunks off.

Mercedes might actually have a battle here.

Redbull look really slow only a few Tenths ahead of Renault.

Although only FP3 the times generally reflect a pre qual run but we will see.

Mercedes might actually have a battle here.

Might, I'll believe it after the quali... but for once the Mercedes predictions of having a slower can than Ferrari might be true.

Shame for Lance Stroll, the curse of the home race. But what an impressive streak of fire that was behind him :D

So Mercedes apparently do have tyres advantage... as reported in the coverage they are the only team enjoying these tyres. Which makes sense considering their low rake car. Last year they were overheating the tyres and the rest are fine with it, and now the others are struggling with cold tyres and the Merc enjoying it.

Oof, tough day for Racing Point, both cars out of Q1 in front of their home crowd.

However, props to Stroll for pulling off one of the nicest drifts I've ever seen watching F1

^Y'know, I honestly don't remember seeing that during the weekend. The music makes it top notch. :lol:

Also, K-MAG kisses the Champions Chicane and crashes out. Session is red flagged, and Max is knocked out of Q2. :boggled:

Verstappen fails to set a fast enough lap to get into Q3 following the red flag for Magnussen's mighty crash in the final corner at the end of Q2. Ironically KMag does get through, he just doesn't have enough of a car to drive.

A qualification full with surprises and that will spice up the race tomorrow. Max will probably start P9.
Well done Daniel! Finally you did it.

Back