2019 Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix du CanadaFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 386 comments
With that call they ruined the battle because Hamilton will not fight anymore. He'll just stay close enough.

Good job once again by the stewards

He kept the throttle on on reentry, he tried too hard to keep his speed, if he let go of a little speed it would have been safe.

Welp, while this race definitely isn't boring, it certainly is disappointing now. I say that as someone who usually enjoys seeing HAM win. :indiff:

How, exactly, would he have done that? Slow down and let Hamilton pass him? That was never, ever going to happen. Lewis would have done the exact same thing.
Yes. He made a mistake. If that mistake means letting someone past so you stay within the rules that's what you have to do. He made a mistake yet again and he's paid for it. Or does everyone think he should get a free pass after making the mistake?

Or not made the mistake in the first place? Vettel has made yet another mistake which is going to cost him points.

He was caught in the slipstream of lapped traffic going into the corner. He literally had no rear aerodynamic grip.

Yes. He made a mistake. If that mistake means letting someone past so you stay within the rules that's what you have to do. He made a mistake yet again and he's paid for it. Or does everyone think he should get a free pass after making the mistake?

No, you're just being too clinical about it.

No, the point being that was never a possibility in the mindset of someone racing in the lead. Hamilton would have done the same, as would Bottas, Verstappen, Ricciardo, etc — it comes with the mindset. You are absolutely not going to slow down and let your closest rival pass you by unless there's no other possible alternative.

If there had been a collision this would be a completely different discussion. I'm not on Vettel's side despite me liking the guy, I hate that the penalty has essentially killed any and all tension leading to the end of the race. Whether Lewis passes him or not doesn't matter anymore because he wins by default now.

Yes, trying to keep his car out of the wall. Awful of him to do that.
Its just because it was grass he went over everyone's moaning. If that was tarmac runoff and he'd squeezed Hamilton into the wall, or if it was Hamilton squeezing Vettel into the wall, there'd be a lot less complaining about that. Vettel needed to lift off more and stay left as he came back on. Hamilton was too close for him to cross the full track width, his outside wheel was on the white line. Hamilton had to brake to avoid the incident, and drive all the way off the track at a place with no runoff - ergo penalty.

No, the point being that was never a possibility in the mindset of someone racing in the lead. Hamilton would have done the same, as would Bottas, Verstappen, Ricciardo, etc — it comes with the mindset. You are absolutely not going to slow down and let your closest rival pass you by unless there's no other possible alternative.

If there had been a collision this would be a completely different discussion. I'm not on Vettel's side despite me liking the guy, I hate that the penalty has essentially killed any and all tension leading to the end of the race. Whether Lewis passes him or not doesn't matter anymore because he wins by default now.
Unfortunately, the mindset of a leader doesn’t mean the rules set can be ignored. A leader could make a dangerous push for a pass or blocking at all costs to keep position, but the rules don’t allow the drivers to go full knuckle to knuckle at the wheel.

In other news, Kvyat pulls off a monster pass on Sainz.

I really feel bad for Martin Brundle right now. :lol:

Edit: If Charles picks up another second, he could actually finish in front of Vettel. If he does, talk about salt in the wound.

Its just because it was grass he went over everyone's moaning. If that was tarmac runoff and he'd squeezed Hamilton into the wall, or if it was Hamilton squeezing Vettel into the wall, there'd be a lot less complaining about that. Vettel needed to lift off more and stay left as he came back on. Hamilton was too close for him to cross the full track width, his outside wheel was on the white line. Hamilton had to brake to avoid the incident, and drive all the way off the track at a place with no runoff - ergo penalty.

A lot of woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Mistakes happen, they are humans. They once again killed all excitement with a call that should/would/could not have been a penalty.

A lot of woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Mistakes happen, they are humans. They once again killed all excitement with a call that should/would/could not have been a penalty.
So you're saying every mistake is just a mistake and therefore shouldn't be penalised? Sure, let's not penalise Hulkenberg for that start crash in Belgium last year...

That was a well earned win for Vettel and even though I'm not his fan, that's just gut wrenching. I feel sorry for him!

Somewhere, a monkey in prison is going nuclear. :lol:

It's a shame a questionable call ruined what could have been a good battle.

Unfortunately, the mindset of a leader doesn’t mean the rules set can be ignored. A leader could make a dangerous push for a pass or blocking at all costs to keep position, but the rules don’t allow the drivers to go full knuckle to knuckle at the wheel.

Oh I'm not claiming otherwise. It absolutely could have gone south real fast in which case, like I said, different conversation. He had enough control to prevent that from happening and like everyone and Vettel himself keeps saying: where the hell was he supposed to go? His only two immediate options were to do as he did (which, of course, wasn't done out of spite unlike his maneuver at Baku in 2017) or spin and crash, possibly taking the both of them out.

Then there's the issue of the Stewards dreadful consistency. What are the chances of this incident occurring again and the same penalty being handed out? Very slim, by my experience.

Latest Posts

Back