2019 Formula 1 Pirelli Grand Prix du CanadaFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 386 comments
I don’t think those are the only 2 options. He mentioned something about going left and losing the position, I guess as a result if he let off the gas.

I'm pretty sure what he said was that if Lewis had backed off a tiny bit and stayed to the left he could have driven right past Vettel when Vettel's momentum carried him to the wall and killed his exit speed. Possibly true but it would've been a very difficult decision to make in that instant.

I thought he was going to blank Brundle and just storm off then!

Wow! It seems that you know how to drive these cars better than them to keep it on track to talk like that... do you even know the effect of running on gravel with slicks?
Yes I do, it's an absolute nightmare but Vettel made the mistake which caused him to have to run over the gravel and paid the consequences. Or should he get a free pass for making a mistake?

Anyway Xbox briefing time, laters!

So what happened was Vettel made yet another mistake and was punished for it. Simple as that.
Seems like at the end of the day, that mistake costs him the position regardless. He’s penalized this way, or he backs off and enters more safely losing it.

Props to both Vettel and Lewis both staying respectful with each other. Lewis acknowledges it’s not the way he wanted to win and Vettel not wanting Lewis blamed.

I'm pretty sure what he said was that if Lewis had backed off a tiny bit and stayed to the left he could have driven right past Vettel when Vettel's momentum carried him to the wall and killed his exit speed. Possibly true but it would've been a very difficult decision to make in that instant.
Ah. But I think if Lewis has backed off, and looked towards the inside, Vettel still retains position with his momentum and Lewis losing his.

That has been a dull season up until now, and now we have something to talk about!

The way I see it... Vettel made a mistake and wasn't (as far as we know) in control of where his car ended up. No penalty for that if you make the mistake on your own with no one around you.

The penalty comes from impeding a driver on his return - the sensible thing was to let Hamilton past at that point and then have another go at overtaking him. You can't maintain an advantage going off track and definitely not with an unsafe (even if uncontrolled) return to the track.

Ah. But I think if Lewis has backed off, and looked towards the inside, Vettel still retains position with his momentum and Lewis losing his.
Lewis wouldn't have gone to the inside because that's where Vettel was supposed to rejoin. Driving into the spot you think a driver is aiming for isn't a great idea

Or should he get a free pass for making a mistake?

Well, considering he's human. Humans make mistakes, some even more so under pressure. If you can undoubtably proof that he had regained full control of his vehicle prior to blocking Hamilton, then I think a penalty is justified, in the case if he hadn't I think it shouldt've been penalized.

But in this case, I think it's still a matter of the stewards making irrational decisons, or rather.... inconsistent decisions. When you have someone braking too late and entering the track "unsafely" in Canada, he's being penalized, when you miss the braking point in France, you won't (just as an example). I think, if the stewards would make consistent decision for or against such incidents, we wouldn't have this discussion right now.

Lewis wouldn't have gone to the inside because that's where Vettel was supposed to rejoin. Driving into the spot you think a driver is aiming for isn't a great idea

I can agree with that too. I just wanted to point out that I heard the radio transmission differently than some others might have. I'm pretty sure commentary briefly mentioned it as well.

I agree. That was my first thought as well. If that was Vettel’s argument, it’s not a strong one.

How could you leave out KMag being told off by Gunther? :lol:

Not top ten. Doesn't matter. :D But it was the funniest thing on the radio this weekend!

But seriously, not KMag's weekend. At all.

I feel more sorry for Lando Norris. Didn't deserve that after a fantastic job in qualifying.

Hamilton vs Ricciardo 2016....

Guess what) No penalty..

He wasn't rejoining. He was already on track and deliberately squeezing to make Ricciardo back off. Something the FIA always lets the drivers get away with.

The last time they penalized someone leading a race for an unsafe rejoining impeding the second place driver, they penalized...

Lewis.

I always try to have faith on Vettel but oh my god did he screwed that up. He simply can't drive while being pressured and it's not like this has happened for the first time. If he simply kept it calm for all the race this whole mess would have been avoided.

Even if Vettel was not in full control of his car, looking at the replay, I'm thinking just lifting off or not fully closing up that gap that Lewis was going to take, he would NOT have gotten that penalty! Because the reality is that at the end of the day, he made another mistake and seeing how it was Lewis on his tail, he would have lost the position if it wasn't for how he got back on the track.

He wasn't rejoining. He was already on track and deliberately squeezing to make Ricciardo back off. Something the FIA always lets the drivers get away with.

The last time they penalized someone leading a race for an unsafe rejoining impeding the second place driver, they penalized...

Lewis.
Im sorry but I disagree that these are that vastly different of situations like you say.

Hamilton went off due to a mistake of his. He then squeezed the other driver in order to not lose his position.

You could likely argue that, if anything, Hamilton had even MORE control than Vettel at that point, and that the move was even more deliberate and dirty and should have warranted a penalty as well.

At least Vettel ended up over there because that’s naturally where the car was always going to go. I genuinely don’t know what people expected him to do.

Im sorry but I disagree that these are that vastly different of situations like you say.

Hamilton went off due to a mistake of his. He then squeezed the other driver in order to not lose his position.

You could likely argue that, if anything, Hamilton had even MORE control than Vettel at that point, and that the move was even more deliberate and dirty and should have warranted a penalty as well.

At least Vettel ended up over there because that’s naturally where the car was always going to go. I genuinely don’t know what people expected him to do.

It's two actions.

Hamilton went off on the left turn into the chicane, then rejoined. Ricciardo was on his left.

Hamilton turns right.

Hamilton still isn't fully on-throttle, so Ricciardo jinks from left to right and attempts a move on the outside.

They both turn left, but as this is now a corner exit, Hamilton knows the stewards will let him squeeze onto the racing line to force Ricciardo to back off (this is the one consistent squeezing motion the stewards let drivers get away with). This is two corners after Hamilton rejoins the track, so it can't be construed an unsafe rejoining in any way.

Nothing like this. Vettel goes off, rejoins right in front of Hamilton and spears irght across the track rather than establishing control first. (not that he could. Looks like there was no grip off the racing line)

The example you showed of Verstappen versus Kimi is the one that is exactly like Vettel vs. Hamilton.

And in that case, Max did deserve a penalty.

I know I saw a tweet by Nigel Mansell defending Vettel. As with (I think) Max Chilton, but I could be wrong. SkySports also had Karun defending Vettel as well.
I'm sure plenty of people hate the decision. The sentence I took issue with began, 'No one agrees...'

Back