2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 1,414 comments
Actually...plaid would be an excellent design to start your own iconic livery history (being able to swap the colours around to match sponsors, events, etc.). Definitely stands out. Is it supposed to be a throwback?

Definitely stands out. Is it supposed to be a throwback?

A throw over, surely?

x354-q80.jpg
:sly:

Sad to see BMW not running a black car instead of two matching ones. The Porsches are still dreadfully boring. Always happy to see a Ferrari in GTLM (a presence sorely missed during the rest of the season). The Castrol Ford looks superb (Motorcraft is a bit boring). Love to see how healthy the field is for the Michelin Pilot challenge (a series I enjoy even more than the headlining IMSA!).

Also wish one of the BMW's was black. I frankly always prefer team cars to be significantly different from each other in some way. Makes it much easier to identify.

---

Interesting news for Canadian viewers: apparently Discovery Velocity is going to cover Daytona (all 24 hours) and the other (presumably just the Weathertech?) races for the year. Not entirely clear exactly what's going to be covered at this moment. Also: 1hr edited races for TSN.

As a result, Imsa.tv is region-blocked for Canada. That is annoying in itself, and Discovery Velocity isn't available for many. Even more importantly, I don't believe they will actually show what they say they will. They claimed to show the WEC this year as well: they didn't show any of it except the Eurosport coverage of the 24hrs of Le Mans. Every other round was ignored.

Interesting news for Canadian viewers: apparently Discovery Velocity is going to cover Daytona (all 24 hours) and the other (presumably just the Weathertech?) races for the year. Not entirely clear exactly what's going to be covered at this moment. Also: 1hr edited races for TSN.

As a result, Imsa.tv is region-blocked for Canada. That is annoying in itself, and Discovery Velocity isn't available for many. Even more importantly, I don't believe they will actually show what they say they will. They claimed to show the WEC this year as well: they didn't show any of it except the Eurosport coverage of the 24hrs of Le Mans. Every other round was ignored.

I get the sneaking suspicion that when they say "All 24 Hours", what they mean is a lot the race will be on that pricey app and subscription motortrend has been pushing. Starting to feel a lot like Fox Sports...

Also wish one of the BMW's was black. I frankly always prefer team cars to be significantly different from each other in some way. Makes it much easier to identify.

---

This is really sad. What is discover velocity? I haven’t had cable for over 5 years.

Do you think the race replays on YouTube will be region locked as well?

That sucks for Canadian viewers..sounds almost as bad as it's been for US viewers the past several years. Thankfully I watch most races with my father who is often ill, so we tend to watch everything on YouTube - I really hope that doesn't change. Watching the races at our leisure (many breaks) is one of my favourite things to do with him.

If they kill off the YouTube full races, I'll be devastated. When will someone get their act together and make a Motorsports Netflix?

The YouTube should not be, or they haven't been before - because they don't come out until 24-48 hours after the TV broadcast of whatever series it is. I wish more race series would do this. I understand it may hurt some live ratings, but a lot of us don't record shows, or can't always watch a live race via a schedule. (Also the lack of TV commentary and the lack of commercials is....massive).

The YouTube should not be, or they haven't been before - because they don't come out until 24-48 hours after the TV broadcast of whatever series it is. I wish more race series would do this. I understand it may hurt some live ratings, but a lot of us don't record shows, or can't always watch a live race via a schedule. (Also the lack of TV commentary and the lack of commercials is....massive).
My concern is that it’ll be like the WEC where races maybe show up on YouTube 6-8 months after the event, not the 24-48 hours we’re used to with IMSA and Indycar.

—-

More info about the TV coverage

Last edited:
Man, those retro-BBS are the life. Yes, please. Other than that, not a particularly beautiful livery - but much more simple and identifiable than the usual photoshop mayhem we get.
A video about the livery including the tires.

My concern is that it’ll be like the WEC where races maybe show up on YouTube 6-8 months after the event, not the 24-48 hours we’re used to with IMSA and Indycar.

—-

More info about the TV coverage

Adding onto the TV coverage for those of us who don't have cable. Now that NBC Sports is carrying the majority of the race, it will be available on streaming services like Playstation Vue. Which you can get a 5 day free trial of! I just set it up an works great, watching the preshow before qualifying now! No more trying to get a VPN to stay up or find a reliable youtube stream.

I love that throwback Brumos Racing livery on one of those Porsche teams! That Ferrari Sao Paulo car remind me of the Brazilian flag livery Ferrari Challenge car I think Bruno Senna ran, as seen in "Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli." Another cool livery.

It will be lovely to follow the 24 Hours of Daytona on NBC/NBCSN. Not sure how many 24 Hours of Daytona I have actually followed, but the first Rolex 24 at Daytona was the 2000 race. This 2019 rendition is going to be another fine Daytona 24.

[CLARIFICATION] The first Daytona 24 Hours I followed was in 2000. Sorry if this sounded like the first Rolex 24 of any kind was in 2000.

Last edited:
Not having cable means no live video for me, only IMSA Radio.

Nevertheless, Daytona has a new lap record, Oliver Jarvis set the pole with 1:33.685. I’m not a Mazda fan in general, my personal preference in cars are German luxury makes (Porsche, BMW and Audi), but I’m rooting for them. Having Joest in the team name helps, too :)

Interesting how a lot of the other teams in the DPi class and such were ahead of all of the Cadillacs in Qualifying. I was impressed with Mazda's pace today. I just hope they bring that kind of fire to this year's 24 Hours of Daytona. Really, I hope Mazda brings that kind of fire to every race this season.

Joest and Mazda really did wonders on the team. In the two years that Joest ran the team, they went from a team that was a laughing stock to a team that is a contending team. If the Mazdas really have the reliability sorted this year, they could genuinely have a chance to win the championship.

Hopefully Mazda finds quite a bit of success this year as I have a gut feeling that with all the effort they're putting into it they will pull the plug if they have another season without a single win.

That's not the fire I meant about Mazda, but yeah. And when you mention Joest, you know what you're getting- one of the best sportscar racing teams ever. Remember those Audis under the wing of Joest Racing? You almost can't go wrong with Joest Racing. Almost as if they have the Midas touch. Time will tell, though, if Mazda can really be a contender.

Back