2019 Mazda3

The hatchback looks much better on stage. I'm looking forward to this now. This presentation is outrageously heavy-handed. :lol::lol:

AWD is going to make them extra popular in NorCal and New England I imagine.

edit: Seriously disappointed to see that they have gone to a torsion beam rear suspension. :mad::irked::(:guilty:

Last edited:
So it'll offer all wheel drive now? That's cool, but I'm more excited for the SkyActiv-X engine even though it's still at least a year away.

Mazda sure knows how to make a car look good. The saloon is very pretty, but the hatch reminds me of a '70s Italian design in the best way possible.

Maybe they're doing what VW is doing. Torsion beam for most of the lineup, IRS for AWD and/or performance version. (GLI for VW)

Maybe they're doing what VW is doing. Torsion beam for most of the lineup, IRS for AWD and/or performance version. (GLI for VW)

Well a torsion beam doesn't really work with awd, so IRS is basically a must. Unless they throw a full on live rear axle under there. :lol:

Design-wise have always preferred the hatch version, was actually considering it at a time. This C pillar is horrendous though and really is making the rear look bad - too much unused space, makes the otherwise probably huge tire small. Anyway I suppose many will like it, but the hatch really isn't my cup of tea with this rear.

Also the sedan looks really, really good.

Something about the hatch just seems off to me, I think it’s just the treatment of the rear, they were stuck between meeting safety requirements and staying faithful to the concept and a happy medium wasn’t found. Rear visibility already isn’t great (especially when changing lanes) in the current car and this looks like it’ll be even worse

I’m iffy about the regression to a torsion beam rear suspension. Most of its class competition has independent rear suspension at the moment, and the Mazda’s been the best handler in that class for a while now. I know they have to save money on cars in this crossover-obsessed world, but still. It seems to be too much of a sacrifice.

Coming from a 2016 3 hatchback owner.

Something about the hatch just seems off to me, I think it’s just the treatment of the rear, they were stuck between meeting safety requirements and staying faithful to the concept and a happy medium wasn’t found. Rear visibility already isn’t great (especially when changing lanes) in the current car and this looks like it’ll be even worse

I’m iffy about the regression to a torsion beam rear suspension. Most of its class competition has independent rear suspension at the moment, and the Mazda’s been the best handler in that class for a while now. I know they have to save money on cars in this crossover-obsessed world, but still. It seems to be too much of a sacrifice.

Coming from a 2016 3 hatchback owner.

I think the hatch looks good from most angles. But the front 3/4 angle (+/-20°) makes it look like some sort of hatchback/suv hybrid as there is no visual relief from the mass over the rear wheels. I really like how it looks from the rear though, calls to mind the Alfa Romeo Brera, but in a more feminine way.

I've been agonizing over what car to get next, and due to my uncertainty about the design and the elimination of the multi-link rear suspension, I think the agony will continue. I really thought this was going to be a home run. :indiff:

Looks nice, but that C pillar, as everyone else said, is huge. I feel like it would have horrible blind spots while driving.

I think the hatch looks good from most angles. But the front 3/4 angle (+/-20°) makes it look like some sort of hatchback/suv hybrid as there is no visual relief from the mass over the rear wheels. I really like how it looks from the rear though, calls to mind the Alfa Romeo Brera, but in a more feminine way.

I've been agonizing over what car to get next, and due to my uncertainty about the design and the elimination of the multi-link rear suspension, I think the agony will continue. I really thought this was going to be a home run. :indiff:

It’s so far unclear if the 2.0 is continuing as the base engine in North America as well. If they make the 2.5 the base engine the price will probably increase by 3-5000 at least. Which probably makes it more than I want to pay.

I also will be getting a new car next year, sticking with Mazda will be easiest, but I don’t know I feel about this new one. The Civic coupe with the manual and 1.5T was the leader before but now that’s been discontinued since Honda wants to sell more Si’s I guess. So now it’ll be between the 3, Corolla hatch and Golf, or Elantra Sport hatch/Forte5 SX or Veloster Turbo if I want to spend a bit more.

I just keep imagining how good this new 3 would look as a 3 door.

I own the current Mazda 3 Hatch and I love it. Cant say I'm that fond of this new one though, but the Sedan looks gorgeous and that is what I would get to replace my car.

Current 2012 3S hatch owner (three pedals, of course...) This looks great- make mine FWD and blue with the 2.5 and a stick. I can live with the simpler rear axle design- my '12 just EATS rear tires.

I don't know how I missed this earlier, but the torsion beam switch has been apparently known for a while. Here is a more in-depth article accompanied by an explanation from Mazda.

Mazda platform development boss Hiroyuki Matsumoto explained that the torsion beam's simplicity will reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) - an acknowledged weak point for the brand of late - transmitted from the road to the cabin.

If he's being honest, I don't understand why a torsion beam would be able to achieve better NVH mitigation. More unsettling is that this means that NVH reduction has been prioritized over handling....not a good sign. However, I get the feeling he's not being totally honest, and it's probably more of a cost reduction strategy. The Fiesta ST and 500 Abarth have shown you can make a good handling car with a torsion beam, but I'm not sure you can make a good handling AND good riding car with a torsion beam. Sigh.

I'm not sure you can make a good handling AND good riding car with a torsion beam. Sigh.
The French have been doing it for decades.

I can't see it being a problem. The outgoing 3 is hardly some Integra Type R-beating handler in the first place so the ride/handling bar isn't that high, just like it wasn't when the Civic went torsion beam for a bit.

The French have been doing it for decades.

I can't see it being a problem. The outgoing 3 is hardly some Integra Type R-beating handler in the first place so the ride/handling bar isn't that high, just like it wasn't when the Civic went torsion beam for a bit.

I hope Mazda's engineers sampled some of those French cars!

Back